Finally Hit The Warning Pegs - Little Scary

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So my buddy and I have now gone for nice spirited rides on the windy Greenwich CT backroads a few times after work. Him in his BMW with some suspension work done, and me following on my FZ. These roads are pretty awesome and one you get out of Stamford and into Greenwich, the roads are very well taken care of with few bumps, potholes, or tar snakes.

Every time I hit these roads I go a little harder and get a little lower as I become more comfortable with them and get a feel for each turn. I have worn my chicken strips down in the past on these roads and others to about 0-2mm from the tire end, but never before gotten low enough to scrape the warning pegs. Yesterday, however, I scrapped them twice on hard turns.

My question is, how do you best recover from this. Both times it happened I didnt go down, but the bike did lift a little and I came wider out of the turn. Is there a better way to deal with this scenario or perhaps even a way to avoid it.

It was def pretty cool and certainly a thrill, but Id rather shoot the turn clean and not have this happen often.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So my buddy and I have now gone for nice spirited rides on the windy Greenwich CT backroads a few times after work. Him in his BMW with some suspension work done, and me following on my FZ. These roads are pretty awesome and one you get out of Stamford and into Greenwich, the roads are very well taken care of with few bumps, potholes, or tar snakes.

Every time I hit these roads I go a little harder and get a little lower as I become more comfortable with them and get a feel for each turn. I have worn my chicken strips down in the past on these roads and others to about 0-2mm from the tire end, but never before gotten low enough to scrape the warning pegs. Yesterday, however, I scrapped them twice on hard turns.

My question is, how do you best recover from this. Both times it happened I didnt go down, but the bike did lift a little and I came wider out of the turn. Is there a better way to deal with this scenario or perhaps even a way to avoid it.

It was def pretty cool and certainly a thrill, but Id rather shoot the turn clean and not have this happen often.
Get you bum of the seat and get your weight into the turn. Do not just get your bum off the seat and twist your torso, your elbow and knee should roughly align. Almost as if your trying to look around the mirror.
If you are hitting the peg feelers you are one turn away from high siding. It's great to wear your chicken strips down, bit not at the cost of breaking your leg.
There are many more things to be worrying about than the width of your rear tyre wear.
Good luck and stay safe.
Nelly

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Get you bum of the seat and get your weight into the turn. Do not just get your bum off the seat and twist your torso, your elbow and knee should roughly align. Almost as if your trying to look around the mirror.Nelly

Totally agree. I still need to work on my weight distribution through the turns. I have been shifting my weight into the turn, but I need to get more comfortable moving my butt further off the seat and really getting into it. Thanks!

If you are hitting the peg feelers you are one turn away from high siding. It's great to wear your chicken strips down, bit not at the cost of breaking your leg.

There are many more things to be worrying about than the width of your rear tyre wear.
Good luck and stay safe.
Nelly

Totally agree, I was just saying that to illustrate that I have gotten low on turns before, just not this low. I am not in anyway trying to prove my manhood by smaller chicken strips. Are you saying that this could result in a high side because hitting the warning peg can result in a slide which when recovered from can then subsequetly result in a high side?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get you bum of the seat and get your weight into the turn. Do not just get your bum off the seat and twist your torso, your elbow and knee should roughly align. Almost as if your trying to look around the mirror.
Good luck and stay safe.
Nelly

+1! The only time I scrape pegs on my FZ1 is when I'm doing super slow speed MSF practice stuff.. and that's usually with suspension set up too soft.
Granted I don't go too silly on the road, but whenever I ride in a spirited manner I always shift my body slightly into turns. No peg scraping.
In terms of recovery.. should you scrape.. it's very difficult to overcome survival reaction, but ideally you should keep steady throttle or even add a little throttle to stand the bike up slightly (if your line permits it). Natural instinct is to chop the throttle.. that's when bad things may happen.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
+1! The only time I scrape pegs on my FZ1 is when I'm doing super slow speed MSF practice stuff.. and that's usually with suspension set up too soft.
Granted I don't go too silly on the road, but whenever I ride in a spirited manner I always shift my body slightly into turns. No peg scraping.
In terms of recovery.. should you scrape.. it's very difficult to overcome survival reaction, but ideally you should keep steady throttle or even add a little throttle to stand the bike up slightly (if your line permits it). Natural instinct is to chop the throttle.. that's when bad things may happen.

Thanks dude! You mentioned soft suspesion which was a thought of mine. Right now I am on 100% bone stock suspension. I pushed up the rear suspension preload adjuster to the 4th notch, but I am thinking maybe I should go even higher? I ride pretty hard and weigh 180lbs...thoughts?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck and stay safe.
Nelly

This picture shows pretty well how to properly "get your arse off the seat" in order to corner faster with lesser lean angle.

Rider in the top pic is not hanging off the seat and therefor has to lean the biker further to go around a corner at the same speed as the rider in the lower picture.

lesson1-rear.jpg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
What exactly do you mean that the bike lifted a little when they scraped? The pegs should move up as they hit the pavement to not let that happen, unless maybe as a reaction to feeling it scraping you lifted a little, I know I've done that before I took the feelers off. The first few times I felt them scrape it startled me a bit and as a reaction I lifted off my line and ended up running wider like you described. As I got better at taking turns I took the feelers off my pegs and I use my boots as my "feelers" now.

But +1 on what everyone else is saying about body position, as you get better you will find yourself taking turns faster at less angle.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Although the fz6 pegs are somewhat low, properly getting your body to the inside of the turn should keep you from scraping them. You want to try to "kiss the mirror" while shifting about 1 butt cheek off to the side. Try to keep your spine straight and in line with the bike while doing this. "kissing the mirror," as they say, helps to get you into this position. Not scraping pegs is a good thing. More room on tire/pegs = more margin for error. Maybe one day I can meet up with you guys to see these nice Greenwich roads for myself??

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the fz6 pegs are somewhat low, properly getting your body to the inside of the turn should keep you from scraping them. You want to try to "kiss the mirror" while shifting about 1 butt cheek off to the side. Try to keep your spine straight and in line with the bike while doing this. "kissing the mirror," as they say, helps to get you into this position. Not scraping pegs is a good thing. More room on tire/pegs = more margin for error. Maybe one day I can meet up with you guys to see these nice Greenwich roads for myself??

Thanks for the additional tips man. I will def work on getting my butt off the seat and will try to "kiss the mirror" and bring my elbow and knee close.

My buddy lives around here so he knows the roads well and I just follow him. You are more than welcome to join us anytime. Usually we go after work around 5ish and then I just hop on the Merrit South at the end of the jaunt and head home. PM me your number and we can try to coordinate.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey ebster could u pm me which roads in greenwich/ stamford u road on...my dad lives over there n I'm looking for some new twisties to hit up...we should get a group ride goin soon:thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Round Hill Road, Lake Road, Riversville Road, North Porchuk, South Porchuk, Lower Cross, Upper Cross, North Street, etc.

All the roads in that back wooded area are pretty sweet to be honest. I could ride over there all day. Only real concern is that they do get narrow at certain points, but other than that they are a blast!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks dude! You mentioned soft suspesion which was a thought of mine. Right now I am on 100% bone stock suspension. I pushed up the rear suspension preload adjuster to the 4th notch, but I am thinking maybe I should go even higher? I ride pretty hard and weigh 180lbs...thoughts?

I'm 160 and for spirited riding used to set preload to 4, so 5 would seem reasonable for you.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 160 and for spirited riding used to set preload to 4, so 5 would seem reasonable for you.

Thanks man, I think I will bump it up today. I have also had my girl riding pillion a lot more lately (bought her a helmet :p) so this would help with that type of riding as well.

I am going to try and take some video on this road in the near future with my buddides GoPro and when I do I will be sure to post.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Round Hill Road, Lake Road, Riversville Road, North Porchuk, South Porchuk, Lower Cross, Upper Cross, North Street, etc.

All the roads in that back wooded area are pretty sweet to be honest. I could ride over there all day. Only real concern is that they do get narrow at certain points, but other than that they are a blast!

Cool thanks man im gunna go there now! :rockon: my dad lives right on north street
im assuming this is all by the merritt pkwy?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man, I think I will bump it up today. I have also had my girl riding pillion a lot more lately (bought her a helmet :p) so this would help with that type of riding as well.

I am going to try and take some video on this road in the near future with my buddides GoPro and when I do I will be sure to post.

For 2-up, I always had my preload maxed out (7).

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome suggestions on doing at Track Day. You're over due ;). Reduce the number of variables and work on body position (and other things to think about).

The other comment on SR's (survival reflex) was spot on as to why you ran wide.