Polarized Lens for Hemet?

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any such thing as a Polarized lens/shield for my helmet? I have an HJC CS-12. The reason I need polarized is that I have contact lenses and I experience glare even with dark sunglasses and a Polarized set of sunglasses work tremendously to cut or kill my glare. Is there a film or something or something I can do?

thanks for any help

hjc_cs12_noir_petit.JPG

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. If sunglare is a problem, do yourself a favor. Invest in a tinted/shaded or mirrored face shield. It is worth the $30-$60, it really is. :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I have the CL-14 and the CS-10 which both have the dark smoked screen. They both work wonders and the screens can be had for under $30. The CS-10 is easier to swap so that one does double duty with the clear lens from time to time but there is a huge difference when riding.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend a polarized face mask. The reason being is that digital display is polarized. In the right light and right angle they will cancel each other and you won't be able to see the display. I found out the hard way when I had my prescription glass polarized at the advice of the eye doc. to reduce glare. I had been warned once before about this issue in the past when I was a flight student. My instructor advised me to not get polarized sunglasses because the insturments were polarized and I may not be able to see them. I never tested it out in the airplane but found out on the motorcycle.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend a polarized face mask. The reason being is that digital display is polarized. In the right light and right angle they will cancel each other and you won't be able to see the display. I found out the hard way when I had my prescription glass polarized at the advice of the eye doc. to reduce glare. I had been warned once before about this issue in the past when I was a flight student. My instructor advised me to not get polarized sunglasses because the insturments were polarized and I may not be able to see them. I never tested it out in the airplane but found out on the motorcycle.

This is the reason I love forums, thanks for the info!! :Sport:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com

I ride with polarised lenses almost every day and it's ok for me. It makes the display look a bit 'oily' but other than that it should be fine. Just borrow a friend's pair and try it out for a short ride and see how you get on. If it doesn't work, it didn't cost you anything and you got another ride out of it. If it works, then great - you get to buy some fancy new shades!

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with polarised lenses almost every day and it's ok for me. It makes the display look a bit 'oily' but other than that it should be fine. Just borrow a friend's pair and try it out for a short ride and see how you get on. If it doesn't work, it didn't cost you anything and you got another ride out of it. If it works, then great - you get to buy some fancy new shades!

Okay cool...but is there a polarizing film I can apply to my current clear lens or do these lenses come polarized?

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Okay cool...but is there a polarizing film I can apply to my current clear lens or do these lenses come polarized?

That I don't know. I just ride with sunglasses. I will be switching to an Iridium tinnted visor soon but I'm not sure how it will all work together. i.e.if it will be too dark with the sunglasses. We'll see. (no pun intended)

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I wore contacts for about 20 years and a couple of years ago had lasik and polarized shades have ALWAYS been a must have for me, sensitive eyes I guess. (insert jokes here).

Anyhow - I have a dark smoke shield and do alright w/o my shades. It does pretty well by itself.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was very interested to read your post. I wear polarised glasses as the UV filter in the visor prevents my normal glasses from working. I have never had a white out of the instruments though. I have had the occasional strange wavey line shimmer (best way I can describe it).
Interesting,

Nelly

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the polar Optics and it works great. I can read the speedo fine. When it is really bright, I wear polarized sunglasses and the Polar Optics shield. Makes it darker but can still see fine. (Obviously, it would be a problem if they were polarized in different directions. The good thing about the Polar Optics screen is that it is small and flexible. It velcro's on so when you are out too late and it gets dark, you just rip it off and now you have a clear face shield.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the polar Optics and it works great. I can read the speedo fine. When it is really bright, I wear polarized sunglasses and the Polar Optics shield. Makes it darker but can still see fine. (Obviously, it would be a problem if they were polarized in different directions. The good thing about the Polar Optics screen is that it is small and flexible. It velcro's on so when you are out too late and it gets dark, you just rip it off and now you have a clear face shield.

I'm liking that a lot!!

Rocky01

Reaction score
Visit site
Wearing polarized lenses with a polarized face shield is almost like looking through a double screened door.

Polarized lenses work best when they are the only lens between the light and your eyes. Their job is to change the way the wavelength of light reaches your retna. Way back in physics class we put two polarized lenses together and started to rotate one of them. The light passing through was reduced to almost nill.

Therefore, I think wearing polarized lenses and having a polarized shield is overkill. Wear one or the other.

When I ride I wear transition 6 prescription glasses and use a face shield. I can carry clear and smoked for different daylight conditions.

I also have the cool twistflex frames for my glasses... Work great for Motorcycle helmet use and Off-highway use... Don't have to worry about breaking the bows. Really cool. Ask you eyecare professional. (End of non reimbursed commercial).

Ride Safe!

Rocky:Sport: