Front brake light activation; Anyone modify the nub? Pic

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT: upon further inspection, the condition would be worse by cutting the NUB (Don't DO THAT!)! It needs to be longer which is difficult to do as the flat area for the lever acts as the rest or return stop. Perhaps a set screw through the lever set at exactly the right location could be used to press the Nub in so it releases sooner. It got dark so i walked away! PS - my levers are not stock!

I never looked to close until today but it seems the front brake lever does not allow the switch to be adjusted. The little micro switch has a nub sticking out that touches directly on the lever and can not be adjust to make it activate as soon as the lever moves.

So the question is; has anyone modified it? And did the nub get stuck inside the switch housing? I ask as I don't want to mod it and ruin the switch!

Thanks! View attachment 43436

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't cut the nub off but i have messed with that tit that sticks off the brake lever that pushes it in. I originally was going to buy another lever and weld on it and grind it down but figured that was overkill so I ended up just sliding heat shrink over it. I think I ended up putting about 3 layers of heat skink on and that made it work more like I wanted it to.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Front brake light activation; Anyone cut the nub off? Pic

I just pushed mine in FULLY, below the side of the switch (with a small screwdriver) and it pops back out without sticking what so ever.
It activates the tail light with very little movement

It shouldn't be a problem so trim away!

I'd take off very little at a time as to replace the plastic would be difficult..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I didn't cut the nub off but i have messed with that tit that sticks off the brake lever that pushes it in. I originally was going to buy another lever and weld on it and grind it down but figured that was overkill so I ended up just sliding heat shrink over it. I think I ended up putting about 3 layers of heat skink on and that made it work more like I wanted it to.

I suppose drill/tap/set screw could work as the lever has enough area to hold a screw but the hole in the set screw (unless put in from the other side) rather defeats the purpose.

Anyway - the brakes clearly are ON before the switch is ever tripped, but the back is adjusted so breathing on it triggers the brake lights. I guess a pair flush cut dikes will easily cut the tit/nub. . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't entirely understand why you'd want to?
My understanding from the original post is:
The lever will not activate the switch until the leaver is depressed by a few mm.
Trimming the TIT (Thing It Touches) (Thanks Chevy) will allow immediate flashing of the rear light. Thus warning cagers behind you of you intention to slow / stop or pull TF up immediately. Thus reducing the risk of an unwanted rear ender.

I could be (and have been) wrong.
Nelly

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't entirely understand why you'd want to?

So people know you're stopping! :eek: My long lever moves about an inch at the end and the brakes are braking but the light is NOT triggered yet. People should know!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose drill/tap/set screw could work as the lever has enough area to hold a screw but the hole in the set screw (unless put in from the other side) rather defeats the purpose.

Anyway - the brakes clearly are ON before the switch is ever tripped, but the back is adjusted so breathing on it triggers the brake lights. I guess a pair flush cut dikes will easily cut the tit/nub. . .

I forgot the switch works opposite of what you would think, in my case I have a after market brake handle and my brake light was staying on when I wasn't on the brakes so I had to add to it to keep the switch pushed in.

I see now yours must not be coming on soon enough, so what I did would make it even worse in your case. Maybe try filing some off?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I forgot the switch works opposite of what you would think, in my case I have a after market brake handle and my brake light was staying on when I wasn't on the brakes so I had to add to it to keep the switch pushed in.

I see now yours must not be coming on soon enough, so what I did would make it even worse in your case. Maybe try filing some off?

True and the plan is to shorten the nub/tit. Just didn't want it to stick in the housing. Got an all day ride on the 5th no time to break stuff and get parts in on a holiday.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

True and the plan is to shorten the nub/tit. Just didn't want it to stick in the housing. Got an all day ride on the 5th no time to break stuff and get parts in on a holiday.

You might be able to change the point at which the light activates by adjusting the lever position. It sounds like the lever is too far out. I prefer to have the light come on before braking starts, so I can signal those behind to pay attention without scrubbing speed.

If you need to shorten the nub, I would use a nail file, and follow up with a razor blade on the sides of the tit to scrape off the burr you are likely to get. Filing will allow you the most control for how much you want to remove. Probably able to take off a few thousandths at a time in that manner.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

^^ Thanks RJ! - I like where the lever resides at this time.

mainly I was wanting to know if anyone had shortened it; AND if they did, did it cause it to stick in the housing??

That is the purpose of this thread!

I see no issues trimming it. It will loose that battle! :D

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

^^ Thanks RJ! - I like where the lever resides at this time.

mainly I was wanting to know if anyone had shortened it; AND if they did, did it cause it to stick in the housing??

That is the purpose of this thread!

I see no issues trimming it. It will loose that battle! :D

When I installed my new levers I had the same problem you are having. I did exactly what your wanting to do and ground the nipple down some. Been well over a year and no problems.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

When I installed my new levers I had the same problem you are having. I did exactly what your wanting to do and ground the nipple down some. Been well over a year and no problems.

That is the ticket I wanted Punched!!!

THANKS!!!!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a quick shot. You can see I ground the tip off.
445322a9-9d5c-8597.jpg