Sealing the slip-ons.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a quick question that I'm hoping for an answer to.

I installed my Scorpion exhausts, but have noticed a bit of exhaust leaking from where the cat pipe connects to the new pipe.

Now, could I use some aluminium foil under the clamp, in order to seal it? (several layers, that would compress and seal the notches)

Or would the aluminium not be a suitable medium?

Cheers,
Rick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it bothers you cause it drips? :( Hate it when that happens. . . :spank:

If you can feel a physical stream of hot gases blowing out; you need to fix it. If its just cause it drips - black nasty stuff out, let it be. Its doing you a favor!

IMO foil is a waste of time. Reseat the joint deeper and tighten it better!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the exact same issue after installing my Scorps.

I used self-fusing silicone tape (F4 Tape) to wrap around the joint tightly. The stuff is good to 500 degrees which is plenty for that part of the exhaust system. I would highly recommend taking this route. Plus F4 tape has many other uses, it's pretty awesome stuff!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the permanent route at that joint with my Scorpions, and while I feel it's has done a pretty good job, it's somewhat messy and tough to remove or clean. Originally, I could put my finger on one specific area of the joint and feel intermittent "puffs" of air. Now I can't really feel anything. I'm sure some of that is also simply from carbon buildup.

I have since, 6k miles later, seem to have discovered a small leak on one of the cans and may look into the tape!

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I used copper grease, it melted out at the joint :rolleyes:
It Doesnt seem to make any difference what so ever as the connection as very snug :BLAA:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reseat the joint deeper and tighten it better!

+1 on the above and check alignment as well

I don't have any leaks with my Scorps. The only problem I had was with one clamp from the factory, the bolt was slightly crooked going into the clamp..

Its coming apart anyway for some sort of sealer, re-check the alignment/fitment. Work your way around(tighten) the different clamps to make sure one isn't pulling the other connection out.