Better body positioning

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was my second track day on my FZ. At the end of the day I started to feel pretty confident with the temperature and grip picking up after a few laps.

One of the biggest things holding me back is my body positioning. I was wondering if you guys had any tips that are specific to our bikes that I could keep in mind for the next few TD's. I have the FZ-1 lowered bars. I am also considering Ottimoto rear sets. However I would like to avoid spending a ton of money to correct things if I could do it with some pointers.

There was a control rider in my group on an FZ6 that was totally stock. He had a lot more experience than me, but watching him ride told me one important thing, correct body positioning can be done if you know what you are doing.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Lean into the turn, grip the tank with your legs, keep your arms loose on the bars, don't try to fight what the bike is doing. Your hands are only there to provide steering input, not hold the front end with a death grip. Good luck and post up some pics/vids if possible?

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Lean into the turn, grip the tank with your legs, keep your arms loose on the bars, don't try to fight what the bike is doing. Your hands are only there to provide steering input, not hold the front end with a death grip. Good luck and post up some pics/vids if possible?

Thanks. :thumbup:

Quite a few of my riding buddies are racers or track day instructors so I kind of knew those things going into my first day. Applying them on the track is much harder said than done though!

The last two sessions TD I tried moving myself all the way back on the seat to get a bit lower to drop my elbow. I felt myself getting lower, as I was dragging hard parts. But it seems like other FZ6 riders sit up closer to the tank and just move further off the bike.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone is interested, here's a video of one full 15 minute session.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5q9TBeLSUI]6 18 Track Day video - YouTube[/ame]

This was my third session, second day at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I thought my contour was aimed properly. It wasn't till the end of the day I found out the lens was rotated 90* the entire day :eek: I was hoping to have it positioned to see the speedo plus both sides of the track. But such is life. There will be more TD's

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
don't move your lower body when the bike is turning as it will upset your line

try and get in position before the corner

you should only really be in the center of the bike if it's a long straight and you are tucked in.

also try not to slide your weight around, hover off the pegs

tbh though i struggle with right handers, i've no problem hanging off the left side, but my body doesn't seem to bend the other way

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
I think mounting your cam on rear of the bike facing forward will give more info on your body position. nice to hear control rider was on stock fz6.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I think mounting your cam on rear of the bike facing forward will give more info on your body position. nice to hear control rider was on stock fz6.

I actually had it mounted on the back facing me, but like an idiot I left the lens of my contour rotated 90*. So the video was literally just my back. I had two.sessions recorded like that and they were totally useless.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Keith Code put out a pretty great book and DVD called Twist of the Wrist II. If you don't own them, definitely check them out. I learned A LOT. Super informative and everything is explained very clearly.

I never lifted my ass off the seat until I started reading/watching these.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
motovudu is also good, but is different to many of keith codes methods, also seems aimed at more powerful bikes

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Keith Code books/DVD (Twist of the Wrist II: The Cornering Bible). He explains things clearly, and backs them up with sound, no-nonsense examples. He spares you the science though, which is probably good. And he shows that the same prinicpals work on every bike. Even the fat Harley's. I aim to go to the Californa Superbike School someday.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Keith Code books/DVD (Twist of the Wrist II: The Cornering Bible). He explains things clearly, and backs them up with sound, no-nonsense examples. He spares you the science though, which is probably good. And he shows that the same prinicpals work on every bike. Even the fat Harley's. I aim to go to the Californa Superbike School someday.

I almost went to the California Superbike School last year, but wanted to get better at riding before signing up. SO tempting to rent one of ther BMW S1000RR's...

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Lead with your eyes. Your head\eyes should move out to about where your mirror would be (not that forward). Arms are loose. Outside arm laying on\across the tank. It'll give feedback as to what the bike\tires are doing as well. Inside elbow down and parallel with the road. Outside knee driving into the tank. Inside ankle turned into the bike to allow hips to open up. Crack of your butt should be on the edge of the seat.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Lead with your eyes. Your head\eyes should move out to about where your mirror would be (not that forward). Arms are loose. Outside arm laying on\across the tank. It'll give feedback as to what the bike\tires are doing as well. Inside elbow down and parallel with the road. Outside knee driving into the tank. Inside ankle turned into the bike to allow hips to open up. Crack of your butt should be on the edge of the seat.

Moving my head is one of the things I think I do well. "Kiss the mirror" is what I've been aiming for. My arms were as loose as I could make theme up until I started to pick up more corner speed and confidence. I noticed my elbows bothering me a bit going down the straights after the last 4 tight corner. I think the more lean angle I got comfortable with the more of a firmer grip I was giving since I was focusing more on gripping with my knees and thighs.