Lighting plans for 06 FZ6

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
After getting my '06 FZ6 last weekend I noticed a few minor things that bugged me about the bike, and decided it was time for the modding to begin. I can already see that modding this bike is going to become an addictions, especially with all of the online support and pictures people post of their modifications.

The first few things that I have decided to do to my FZ6 deals mostly with lighting. First, I want to mod my headlight to have both beams on when the low beam is turned on. I have found a few mods on the forums so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Now the question arises, what am I going to do with those crazy looking front / rear turn signals, and that ugly fender! I have seen numerous posts concerning different setups for fender eliminators, but didn't really like any of them. I am not a huge fan of non-integrated rear blinkers, and most of the eliminators I have seen have been of this type.

A guy that I ride with has an '07 R1, and the modifications that he has made in terms of lighting have given me great ideas. Actually, I am going to basically "steal" the same concept he went with, but of course buy the parts that were made for the FIZ. So here is the plan.

• Flush Mount Front Turn Signals - Yamaha MicroAlloy Signals - (Picture Attached)
    These turn signals are SUPER bright on his R1, and personally I think they may be the best flush mount signals around. The only issue is, there is a wait time of a couple of months before they get shipped, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
  • Integrated Brake / Turning Signals - 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light - (YouTube video on linked page)
    Again, I've seen the similar model on an '07 R1 and they are super bright and very easy to distinguish between breaking and turning (by LED color of course). It is nice that they have the "light pulse" feature built in too when breaking.
  • License Plate Lights - http://tinyurl.com/6pe46k3 - (Picture Attached)
    With the turn signals being integrated into the tail light, the next question arises.... what am I doing to do with lighting up the license plate? There are these cleaver LED license plate bolts that I am going to use.

Now, the true issue arises. How exactly should I go about mounting the license plate to the bike with the fender completely removed. Anyone have any ides or suggestions? This will probably mount directly below the dual exhaust as side license plate holders are illegal in MA, USA.

I will of course post pictures of the modification when it happens, but it is going to be some time because like I said, the front flush mount turn signals will take some time for delivery.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those all look good. Make sure that tail lamp is to your liking as far as brightness. I don't know if they are Motodynamics but some integrated tail lamps I've seen are not bright enough.
In addition you may still want to use some small, bright, rear directional lights.
I know in California my friends and I got stopped and were told you have to have directional signals no less that 9 inches apart. That may not be the case where you live but also consider cagers won't be looking at your brake light as a turn indicator.

Those license plate lights look much better than the ones I had that looked like those. The LED and wires are much better quality and grade.

When you switch over to the LED directionals you'll probably find that the flasher relay will flash at a quicker rate or not flash at all. This is because they are load/current dependent. You can get an electronic type that will work great here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm Part no. LF1-S-FLAT
Next to the last flasher relay at the bottom of the page. This flasher is less than half the price you see sold every where and works great! It's like $8.95
You may get resistors with your LED units to mimic the load but you won't need them with the electronic flasher and you'll use less current with the advantage of not worrying about where the hot resistors will live on your bike.

Good luck on the modding and if I can help just rattle my cage! :D

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I had to do the same mods on my 2006.

For the front flush mounts, there is a large hole in the fairing attachment, usually called a "mole". Take one of the front signals off and you'll see what I mean. Just be careful and take your time. Verify the flush mounts you want will fit or you can mod the "mole" to make it fit.

Like Cliff said, make sure the rear light brightness is to your liking. I think everyone is pleased with the Motodynamic. And you'll need the flasher relay he provided.

I have the same license plate leds. They work great. Don't have any pictures at work tho.

A fender eliminator gets rid of the ugly rear stock fender. Some come with their own turn signals.

Or go with Two Brothers exhaust and they come with their own turn signals.

Good luck and it is well worth the time and effort to make these mods.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Now the question arises, what am I going to do with those crazy looking front / rear turn signals, and that ugly fender!

Now, the true issue arises. How exactly should I go about mounting the license plate to the bike with the fender completely removed. Anyone have any ides or suggestions? This will probably mount directly below the dual exhaust as side license plate holders are illegal in MA, USA.

I too recently got my FZ and the mods seen here are outstanding. Already have Motogiro's headlight mod, though now I'd like to have dual low/dual high. Until I can settle on which mods to do, the next one is the rear fender. Found this '04- 09 Yamaha FZ6 Fender Eliminator Kit | eBay as a temporary fix for now. It re-uses the stock tag light and signals until I decide on LEDs for front/rear. I like the tag LEDs but will wait to see how the FE kit works out. Good luck with your mods.

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I too recently got my FZ and the mods seen here are outstanding. Already have Motogiro's headlight mod, though now I'd like to have dual low/dual high. Until I can settle on which mods to do, the next one is the rear fender. Found this '04- 09 Yamaha FZ6 Fender Eliminator Kit | eBay as a temporary fix for now. It re-uses the stock tag light and signals until I decide on LEDs for front/rear. I like the tag LEDs but will wait to see how the FE kit works out. Good luck with your mods.

A lot of people use this FE kit on here - it is actually provided by a forum member (FAZR6). If you decided to more towards aftermarket signals, these adapter plates have worked very well for me so far Turn Signal Fairing Mounting Adapters, PJ's Parts. They cover the large space for the stock signals and do not look out of place like a large washer would.

haraiianpunch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Poot- got pictures yet??
I'm thinking of cleaning up the rear end myself and I'm curious which fender eliminator and rear blinkers you went with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk