BT020 vs. BT020GG

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else found that the 020 wears a hell of a lot more than the 020GG (the GG being the dedicated FZ6 version)? Something I would never have expected and can't see any difference from looking and poking with my finger nail (high tech experimenting here).

How does the new 021 set up compare with the 020GG?

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I the 20gg on the rear right now I switched to the road smart from dunlap for the front and love it.:thumbup: The first rear lasted 6000 miles but was worn way too far for any good reason, I should have changed it at 5000. The bike has 12000 and the rear is holding up well.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a new set of the GG variation on mine a month or so ago. The originals lasted about 7500 miles (Could probably have got another 1000 out of the front).

It cost me about 60 quid more for the GGs than standard BT020s. I actually rang & spoke to Bridgestone tech help people (Which by bizarre coincidence is here in Leamington). The reason for the additional cost is the GG has a 'Spiral wound band'. The guy I spoke to couldn't tell me the benefit of said band for the FZ6, only that specials were as a result of tests with specfic models.

I asked about the BT021s, the answer was that they would probably be ok but Bridgestone hadn't tested the FZ6 on them yet.

BT020 Back tyres do tend to square off a bit when getting towards the end of their life.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember that OEM tires that come on the vehicle new don't hold up as well. They are CHEAP! The motorcycle manufacturers just find something acceptable and get them as cheaply as they can, sometimes corners are cut, so the tires that come on the vehicle are not the same as the ones you buy even with the same designation.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found the OE BT020GG lasted aprox 3000 mls more than the 020 thats on the rear now.Thinking of going for 021 but have heard the fronts wear much quicker than the backs and there is a lot of road noise from the front.
Anyone using 021 could you let me know what you think of 'em? Cos mine are shagged now.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found the OE BT020GG lasted aprox 3000 mls more than the 020 thats on the rear now.Thinking of going for 021 but have heard the fronts wear much quicker than the backs and there is a lot of road noise from the front.
Anyone using 021 could you let me know what you think of 'em? Cos mine are shagged now.
Buggerlugs has the 02'1s, now he is a high flying executive he dosn't post much lol.

Nelly

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I put 021's on about a month back. So far I've been really happy with them. They hold well in the wet, warm up quick, sticky in the turns and I haven't had any issues with excessive noise from the front. I'm pretty sure they are smoother and quieter than the 020s.....but that's not really a fair comparison since in my mind I'm comparing an almost dead tire to a brand new one. I'll do a proper review of them when I get close to the end of their life (probably not until next spring if they last as long as the 020s did).