Ummmm.....

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here's a question I fear I know the answer to, but feel compelled to ask anyway.

I have just bought Scorpion exhausts for my 2005 FZ5 and a PCIIIusb from the same seller.

My bike is stock with the exception of a K&N air filter.

The gentleman I'm buying the exhaust and PCIII from had his bike dynoed and the map put on the PCIII.

Here's the question - will I be able to run HIS map, from his 2008 FZ6 with these cans, or do I absolutely have to get my bike dynoed?

Straight away I'd think different bikes, different mechanicals and different year - yes, I do.

But then I'm hoping in vain that I don't HAVE to, as a dynotune will cost upwards of $350.

If my bike may result in damage if I don't, obviously I will - or maybe download a map pre-made to suit my new exhaust (I'm told they're available, just haven't seen any yet)

Does having the db restrictors change the output THAT much? I'll be keeping them in, but if the dynomap was created without them, can I do any damage?

So, what say you?

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. While I'm asking, is there much benefit is getting a cat-eliminator pipe? (or is it even legal in Oz?)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll always wonder until it's done by a pro. You can tune a bike but you can't tuna fish! Your bike will probably run just fine with slipons but if you have to put on a PC why not tune it to your bike. Maybe just do the slipons. If your removing the CAT defo have it tuned.

Edit: If his bike is the 08 what configuration on the exhaust did he have because I believe the 08 has extra CATs in the header that your 05 doesn't. That alone will negate his map for yours.

Last edited:

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i have an 07.... 07 and up have 2 smaller cats right in the header pipes under oil pan plus the one under the seat, saying that i had 2 m4 slipons that i ran with pc3 and kn filter with a 0 map and had no issues. but yes his 08 will have 2 more cats, i got rid of that by using a pair of mjs r6 headers and used one of my m4 cans coming out the sidee, i got rid of all 3 cats and changed headers and all it did was lessen gas mileag

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so it looks like I'll have to dyno my bike.

What about the downloadable maps? Where can I get them, and will, or could, I do any damage fitting the PCIII and Scorpion slipons with a zero map? (until I can afford the dyno in a month or so....)

Cheers,
Rick

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
no issues at all, you should get your own dyno map but its not required, u can get the maps from this site, i don have the link but somebody gave em to me a bit ago, i found i got the best gas mileage running the 0 map and i didnt notice any power dif, the dyno site will also have links to download the software on your pc and also the maps for quite a few dif options

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Found 'em KT, thank you - here!

Got it loaded with the Scorpion Slipon, Stock/Aftermarket Airfilter map.

I'll take it for a ride tomorrow to see!

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an 07.... 07 and up have 2 smaller cats right in the header pipes under oil pan plus the one under the seat, saying that i had 2 m4 slipons that i ran with pc3 and kn filter with a 0 map and had no issues. but yes his 08 will have 2 more cats, i got rid of that by using a pair of mjs r6 headers and used one of my m4 cans coming out the sidee, i got rid of all 3 cats and changed headers and all it did was lessen gas mileag

no issues at all, you should get your own dyno map but its not required, u can get the maps from this site, i don have the link but somebody gave em to me a bit ago, i found i got the best gas mileage running the 0 map and i didnt notice any power dif, the dyno site will also have links to download the software on your pc and also the maps for quite a few dif options

How do you know what your air to fuel ratios are? Each bike and it's use of aftermarket components are different even if the engine and aftermarket components are the same. You may not notice any difference but your motor and valves do.

You might get a close map but they might be different than what you need for your bike. Even when you have your bike dyno'd your tuner might ask you to come back for a short dial in.

I think you might get a closer map than a zero map by matching components to a downloadable map but I believe you'll have a better running bike with a few more ponies and healthy A:F ratio when tuned properly.

Last edited:

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info, i know mine is running with wrong ratios but thats because i have aftermarket headers minus 3 cats and shorter exhaust, recently bought ais block offs, you know of any map that would get me close/ w/o doing a dyno? i know it needs a dyno just dont have the cash for it, traded an old suzuki gs 550 for the mjs headers

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info, i know mine is running with wrong ratios but thats because i have aftermarket headers minus 3 cats and shorter exhaust, recently bought ais block offs, you know of any map that would get me close/ w/o doing a dyno? i know it needs a dyno just dont have the cash for it, traded an old suzuki gs 550 for the mjs headers

With all the mods you've done, anyone would be guessing at a map that would run your fuel properly. I can only assume that with all the mods you've done that there is a plan to stick the bike on a dyno. :D

I know the feeling and I was lucky to come up with a trade for the bucks to get my FZ6 tuned. That bike always ran so good! :rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Scorpion exhausts on, PowerCommander3USB loaded with the map for an '05 FZ6 with Scorpion Cans and Stock or Aftermarket airfilter.

That'll do until I can get it dynoed.

Gotta love the deeper tone of the exhausts!

Using a sound meter on my phone, at idle the stock setup was 74dB, and the Scorpions are.... 74dB.

At 6000rpm, the stock setup was 84dB and the Scorpions are.... 84dB!

SO, as far as the phone can tell, it's not any louder - just sounds HEAPS better and flows more freely!

Hopefully it doesn't affect my economy in a negative way, going to work.

Cheers,
Rick