Fuel meter error code

Jone

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I got the fuel meter error code. (All the bars flashes eight times).
The sensor measures 20 ohms at full and 140 ohms at empty just as the manual says.
Could it just be that the fault code needs to be erased?
What else can I check?
The trouble started after my battery got totally discharged because I left it with the parking lights on.

Jone

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!
Typically the ECU will throw just about any code when the battery is flat.
Recharge you battery and see what happens. :d

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if there is a reset...

mohamedazri

Reaction score
Visit site
hey ; i am also having the same problem currently on the fz6. my fuel gauge all indicators blink 8 times before showing its on reserve when its actually on full tank.

can u advise when u found the problem and tell me?

Jone

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

Thanks!

Typically the ECU will throw just about any code when the battery is flat.
Recharge you battery and see what happens. :d

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if there is a reset...

The flat battery incident was a month ago so the battery is recharged now. :)
I read in the forum that it was recommended to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. I also read in the forum that fault codes was not erased by disconnecting the battery but I'll might as well give it a try. :)
Is it good enough to disconnect the plug on the start relay, or do I have to remove one of the wires from the battery? It looks like the red wire goes to the start relay on top of the battery, and that everything is supplied from there.
I will also connect a fixed resistor to the tank meter connector and see if that gives an error to. just have to find myself a suitable resistor. :)

Jone

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

The flat battery incident was a month ago so the battery is recharged now. :)
I read in the forum that it was recommended to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. I also read in the forum that fault codes was not erased by disconnecting the battery but I'll might as well give it a try. :)
Is it good enough to disconnect the plug on the start relay, or do I have to remove one of the wires from the battery? It looks like the red wire goes to the start relay on top of the battery, and that everything is supplied from there.
I will also connect a fixed resistor to the tank meter connector and see if that gives an error to. just have to find myself a suitable resistor. :)

Jone

What fault/error codes are you getting on your readout?

mohamedazri

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey mohamedazri :welcome:

You checked the plugs under the tank?
Green plug
White Plug
Fuel hose
Fuel overflow

hey , i tried disconnecting the green and white plugs and reconnected them however it still shows me a blinking fuel gauge.

i read online that it could be a possible electrical problem but however my bike isnt showing any error codes. upon turning on my bike before cranking, the gauge rises ( odo rises to full ) before gg back down , then it will blink 8 times before showing an empty tank.

can any1 help or experience this before? a loose wire? tank floater?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The most likely explanation is that you have pulled one of the wires just enough out of the white fuel pump connector. There is very little free play in the wire and it's easy to pull out when raising the tank.
I did this last summer and was able to push the wire back into the connector and crimp it with a small engineers screw driver. I also extend the wire to give it a bit more free play.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...fuel-gauge-error-nelly-mechanical-genius.html
Nelly

Jone

Reaction score
Visit site
can any1 help or experience this before? a loose wire? tank floater?

If you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance on the sensor. If it is between 20 and 140 ohms the instrument should not show the error. You could also check the connector to the instrument.

I suspect the error on my bike is either a bad ground wire to the sensor or instrument, or the problem is inside the instrument. Do anyone know how to open the instrument? I have a FZ6-N, nearly circular instrument.

Jone

Reaction score
Visit site
I "solved" it by soldering a 70 ohm resistor in parallel with the meter. The instrument now show a flashing bar when it is near empty and all but one bar when is is full. It's better than having one flashing bar when there is 15 liters left and after that the error signal. Not the ideal way to fix the problem, but I understand the instrument is impossible to open. Hope it measures the other analog signals correctly.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I "solved" it by soldering a 70 ohm resistor in parallel with the meter. The instrument now show a flashing bar when it is near empty and all but one bar when is is full. It's better than having one flashing bar when there is 15 liters left and after that the error signal. Not the ideal way to fix the problem, but I understand the instrument is impossible to open. Hope it measures the other analog signals correctly.

I'd think you likely have a bad ground if that solved it. Seeing's how you were creative enough to do that; perhaps try ohming the individual wires back to the source and see if you get the same readings? As in test each the ground from start to finish and the gauge wire to confirm they are intact. Perhaps something happened like pin got pushed out in the main harness under the tank or at the gauge. Try to measure it and isolate it.

So from the tank wires; one goes to ground (confirm to be less than 5 ohms) by testing ground to a "-" on the battery. The other "G/W" green / white trace goes directly to the meter assembly. So you can pull the tank and the air box and ohm it there or look for green/white trace at the meter itself. The goal being you go from the disconnected plug at the tanks g/w to the meter g/w and get something less than 5 ohms. OR - short the meter leads and subtract the few ohms displayed from the total reading.

Let me know if you have questions!! :confused:

Edit: it appears the FP and the fuel gauge share the same ground, but ohm it anyways. So my vote swings towards corrosion on the main loom under the tank. Why the fuel gauge?? IDK!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Ohm'ed both G/W and ground wire from inside the fuel pump to the connector at the instrument and both are around 1 Ohm.....

Prolly your meter went gunny-sacks then. . . But somehow its all better with a resistor in parallel with the input. Very strange. . .

mohamedazri

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry just to update, mine was due to a faulty fuel sensor in the tank after brining it to a mechanic.. got a second hand part to do the job. cost me a bomb still.