19mm Hex

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm installing a new set of Pilot Powers for the Deals Gap trip and needed to get the front wheel off. I pull out the trusted Yamaha tool pouch and proceded to find the right tool. Find it, inset it and then turn.. SNAP!!! The quality tool breaks in my hands. Now what? No problem I'll run down to the hardware store and pick one up. Easier said than done of course. I tried Pep Boys, Lowes, Autozone, Home Depot, and Sears. No one carries a 19mm hex wrench! Sears could order it, but that does me no good today.

I head home in hopes of making something work. I grab every tool I own in hopes of finding something that would get this damn wheel off. Here is the final outcome. 16mm wrench, 5/8 inch spark plug scoket and a craftsman chizel. The spark plug socket just happens to be 19mm on the hex end, the chizel just happens to fit perfectly in the 5/8 in socket and the 16mm wrench just happens to fit the chizel to a T. Long story short, the wheel is off and the tires will soon be installed.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job in improvising. Certainly is satisfying when you create something to get you out of a jam.:thumbup:

CamMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice getto tool! :thumbup:
One could also pickup a bolt and two nuts, spin the two nuts on to the bolt and tourque the nuts together (called double nutting). Just line up the flat sides so they fit in your axle then put a wrench or socket on the bolt head. Works great for your forks too if or when you have to do the seals in them.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a spare 3/4" lug nut for my truck, and that works perfectly.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a great tool to own for this job:

t6.jpg

Found at http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5616

A bit of shopping though and you may find it cheaper. I like shopping here because they are local (sweet 1.5 hour ride!) and I can go in and put my hands on things before I buy them.

spamthefood

Reaction score
Visit site
The first time I did it I think I stuck like 3 allen wrenches in there in order to get it to fit. I broke one and ended up going to cycle gear and buying the hex bit.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The "axle" tool in the tool kit isn't an axle tool. It's a spark plug wrench. Everyone that's tried to use it to remove the front wheel has broken it.

The 5/8" spark plug socket works great. Then just put an extension through the socket the opposite way (where the spark plug would normally go), and bob's your uncle, you've got a "19mm" hex bit.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
The 5/8" spark plug socket works great. Then just put an extension through the socket the opposite way (where the spark plug would normally go), and bob's your uncle, you've got a "19mm" hex bit.

thats an excellent idea.

another solution is to get a nut used to join pieces of threaded rod. theyre about 2" long and when inserted half way, allows you to use a wrench or socket on the nut.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
The "axle" tool in the tool kit isn't an axle tool. It's a spark plug wrench. Everyone that's tried to use it to remove the front wheel has broken it.

I tried this today and it works great. I just pulled the rubber part out of my spark plug socket and bam, don't have to buy a new tool.

headache56

Reaction score
Visit site
19mm Hex - Great solutions - thanks guys but..

The 17, 19, 22mm etc multi socket looks good but, for example, if you want to use the 19mm size, does the protruding 17mm part prevent one from getting the 19mm size into place ?