New Seat?

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
While the FZ performed flawlessly over an 1100 strip across the southwest this past week, my butt took a beating at times. Aside from a Corbin seat does anyone have an alternative solution for saddle butt on the FZ for long trips?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the FZ performed flawlessly over an 1100 strip across the southwest this past week, my butt took a beating at times. Aside from a Corbin seat does anyone have an alternative solution for saddle butt on the FZ for long trips?

Spencers: Page 1

Super fast turnaround, excellent craftsmanship, custom trimming too. He uses "Supracore" not gel...

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Top saddlery...my seat should arrive Wednesday so I'll update on how it is. Others on the forum have them though...

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have already chimed in, the three major choices are Spencer's, Corbin and Top Saddlery. Spencer's is by far the cheapest and for an 1100 mile week, my guess is that it would probably fit the bill perfectly.

I went with a Corbin for many reasons: I got it used locally for a reasonable price, I ride really long days(1000+ miles/day) sometimes so I was concerned with the Spencer's ability to handle that distance, and I knew Corbin quality and comfort because the last bike I owned had one.

I think the general consensus is that Spencer will be quick, cheap and a marked improvement over stock. Top Saddlery and Corbin are a different level seat compared to that, with the TS being softer/plusher and the Corbin being firmer.

Corbins can be had for much less than new if you find a used one, I don't know much about the used market for TS seats.

There is also the Yamaha comfort seat...I have one for sale(http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/44691-fs-yamaha-comfort-seat.html), but unless you've been able to try one out, or are rather tall, I doubt this will be the best choice for you. Most people that try them end up not liking them, hence my For Sale thread. But there are a handful of folks that really love them, so you'd have to read up on that option.

Last edited:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine modified by a motor trimmer, and he could never get it right. There are people who can modify your seat properly if you spend some time looking, i wish i had spent the time.

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
How about ergos adjustments? I'd like to keep from sliding forward for a more upright riding position.

That is exactly what spencers specializes in. I actually just emailed him yesterday and got a reply this morning, on a saturday, which said the following:

My email to him:

Spencer,

I have picked up a stock seat, and after riding with it a while, am looking to get it modified to be made more comfortable. I have a pretty good idea what i (and my pillion rider) want changed. What do you usually see requested for the FZ6? One of the main things i notice are the tendency toward the tank, which seems to ride up the pants, and something I am usually fighting. I would like a more neutral position, along with the pillion. The girlfriend says the back slopes her forward and it tends to give her wedgies ;)

Anyway, just wondering what you have done in the past and if you have any suggestions. If it helps, i'm 6'4'' and have a 36 inch inseam, Leg position wise, i like sitting to the very rear of the seat, but only can do so for so long because of the forward slope of the seat which tends to slide me forward.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

His Reply:

Kevin,

Thanks for the information.

Your stock FZ6 seats rider area can be reshaped internally for more rearward bias, with better support, and to distribute your weight across the entire seat rather than concentrating it on the crowned center without effecting the nose shape so you will still have freedom of movement in the twisties and enhanced position and comfort. This angle correction will help allot with the slide to the tank under braking and creates a more neutral body position overall. After modification your seat will still appear from the outside to be completely stock, If you can tell something has been done just by looking at it, I have not done my job. You can find some examples on my web sites Gallery page.

The basic modification includes reshaping to your specific dimensions for better support and to correct the angle and shape to relieve pressure points and any specific problem areas that you may have. You do have a seat that can accept the Supracor suspension included in the LD modification. This is a lightweight "honeycomb" like material that does not get hot in the sun, does not harden in cold weather, and will probably outlive the seat. It is used to form a suspension between the seat pan and reshaped seating area to provide more form fitting support, and better weight distribution for longer distance comfort. It also drastically reduces vibration in the seat, and dampens road shock without changing the seat height or effecting the shape modification. If you ride any real miles and with the FZ6 seat pan shape it really is the better choice. You can find more information about the material HERE.

The FZ6 passenger area modification is similar but on a smaller scale. It concentrates on them needing a position that keeps their weight stable, and because of them having less contact points with the bike, a position that gives them more confidence and control over their position during braking and in turns.

Pricing would be the standard minimum for a two piece seat of $50 for the actual work to the riders section, a $25 material charge for Supracor, and $15 for the passenger section when done together. Your original seat cover will be re-installed after my work is complete so must be free of damage.

A photo of you in riding position is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Please feel free to ship at your convenience, all that I ask is that you drop me note when you do, with the area you are shipping from, so that I can properly set my schedule. My current turnaround is no more than 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping. If you visit my web site you can find the Order Form as well as my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and have a great weekend, Spencer

He sounds extremely professional and it seems like he has dealt with quite a few FZ6 Seats. This was the email that made me decide to to go with him. I will probably be sending it off this week to get modded.

Good luck on your search. :)

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine back from him. I'll wait on my official opinion on the Supracor material since he says it takes some time to break in. But I can tell you the seat is more comfortable now. He changed how it sits (I usually sit next to the tan). It is a like difficult to explain but the "angle" of the seat is better now. He is top notch in terms of customer service.

CMH

Reaction score
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE the TS seat. Best money I ever put into my bike, I rode my bike right after I got it for about an hour before I decided to upgrade. With the TS seat I rode from Mesa, AZ to Southern Oregon in two days and my butt never had a complaint. The only thing I wish I had was the backrest that the corbin offers but if what the other people are saying is true about the corbin being more firm than I wouldn't think twice about the Top Saddlery. If you want to go that route I might be willing to sell my seat separate from my bike (I've still got my stock seat) if you're in the US- 300 shipped. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.