TOP SPEED-132mph?

hammerheadshadow

Reaction score
Visit site
NOT really a squid or show off (of course not a beginner on FZ6 either-some other bikes before) but the bike seems to have a top speed of 132 mph. It does not climb higher (2000 rpm shy of the red line rpm) than that or very reluctant to do so. It feels sleepy and sluggish after 130 mph. So is it all I can expect (mods include K&N filter, M4 cans) or if I invest $300 for power commander it will do a bit better? Bike is 2004 model, low miles.

W

wrightme43

Mine went 133 before I got out of it. It was way plenty fast for me. I am sure it will go faster, but not with me on it on public roads.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
if you tried it on a flat road with no strong winds around,i should say its not normal...try to accelerate as much as you can on 5th gear,,even on 5th it should go more than than..power commander wouldnt do anything to your top speed...a stock FZ6 would go +145 mph under the conditions mentioned above

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you tried it on a flat road with no strong winds around,i should say its not normal...try to accelerate as much as you can on 5th gear,,even on 5th it should go more than than..power commander wouldnt do anything to your top speed...a stock FZ6 would go +145 mph under the conditions mentioned above
I agree mate, I have no problems seeing 130mph on my speedo and I still have gears to go.

S

sportrider

I've seen 141MPH in fourth gear at redline

I never paid attention to 1st, but 2nd gear my speedo will hit 92MPH
3rd gear = 122 MPH
4th gear = 141 MPH
5th gear = 152 MPH
6th gear = 154 MPH with a 180/55 17 , 158 MPH with a 190/50 17

all gear vs speed are at redline on the rev limiter except 6th gear, wind drag is too much for the stock ratio to over come. all tests were conducted on flat ground no wind.

I'm sure most of the FZ's will have simular results. when I first got my bike I remember it not wanting to exceed 140, but after it was fully broken in it does it with ease. my bike is 100% stock in the power department also.:D

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to knock about 5-10% off to allow for the speedo reading over. Anyone done it with a GPS for a more accurate figure?

i actually was suprised to see that the original speed wasnt that way off than the speed shown...definitely under %5
up to 130 km/h it is only close to %2-3...i didnt compare too much on higher speeds than that.....this is a standard sprocket bike

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the GPS runs I have made it varies with speed from 7 to 10%. Your results may vary. I wonder of the bikes are all identical or there is some slop built in somewhere to account for the variation between bikes. Is Yamaha thinking that we are going to start running 55 series tires for the track? That would be enough of a change to account for the disparity.:confused:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit 139mph on my FZ6 and it had loads left to give ... the bike was barely run in at the time :D

By the way 139mph on the RR feels much quicker ... must be because of the lack of wind protection :( .... 155mph on the RR feels like you're holding onto the space shuttle :thumbup: .... I ran out of runway then !!!

Disclaimer: All of the above tested on a track or aerodrome runway :rolleyes:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock at power:
Speedo showed 149, constant for about 5 seconds, GPS showed 137.
Ran on flat road, no traffic for next 4 miles, camera already out of memory, so, no video.!
I'm 5'7" 150lbs with stock windscreen.
2c75b2bb-3271-4e50-9dd7-1a71150bf6de.jpg

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1390.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen 249km/h true speed on a dyno which is 154mph but here in Johannesburg we are 5,500ft above sea level which really saps the power. The speedo was showing 275km/h.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
My top speed on 07 FZ6 (stock) was 142mph at high altitude (4,500+ feet above sea level). It had more to go, but I was good at that speed. Top Speed on my Sprint 138 mph at even higher elevation (6,500 feet above sea level). Can't get conditions right to beat it... yet. Top speed on my Street Triple R is 118 mph, it barely has 2k miles on it, so I am babying it.

JJS209

Rider / Mechanic
Reaction score
fz6-fazer.gp-bikes.de
i did yesterday 155mph on the autobahn. i think its more or less topspeed of my fz. maybe 2 or 3 miles per hour more...
when i bought the fz it was running on three cylinders and my topspeed with the three working spark plugs was something around 130mph when i remember it correct.