Watch the driver

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Because traffic laws vary I'll try to write this in manor that it makes sense. . .

In the USA, we drive on the right hand side (RHS) of the road and most cages have the driver on the left side of the vehicle.

IMO its safer to be in the far left hand lane(s) as you can see the drivers steering wheel, hands and head, in addition to everything about the vehicle. With this, it gives a little extra warning than being on the same freeway in the right lane. Mind you i watch people through their windows and look several cars ahead through their windows often.

The point; between watching the vehicle, the vehicles front wheels, and the driver & steering wheel, it gives you more time to act should they do something stupid!

I also tend to travel just a tad faster than traffic to keep "them" in my mirror so everyone's accounted for.

Be safe. . .

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the USA, we drive on the right hand side (RHS) of the road and most cages have the driver on the left side of the vehicle.

No, no, no - you see that's where you're incorrect....

You actually drive on the wrong-hand side of the road (WHS), all in an effort to be different from your forebears.

It's all about which side is better to draw your sword more quickly, and strength of arm.

And we ALL need to be conscious of that...

Now, in reference to your other points, yes - I always try and make eye contact if possible, and if not possible, I ride more distant to them, across the lane, just in case of the almost inevitable 'lane change without looking' move.

Riding in front definitely has it's advantages - which is why I lane-split at the lights, to get in front...

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish the US would fully back and legalize lane splitting/filtering. I felt this way before I ever owned a bike as well.

Note: I'm a novice rider so feel free to disregard and/or correct.

For traffic:
I am typically in the lane position closest to the other lane. That is, on a 4-lane road with 2 lanes each way, I'm typically in the inner lane position closest to the next lane. This allows for the quickest/easiest lane changes, most down-road vision (straight ahead look give perspective of two lanes), and good visibility as you are in the side mirrors of both lanes. And with cars all around, there's not really a left-turn-in-front-of-you threat.

For non-traffic:
Typically in the left (US) lane position to get the highest visibility for oncoming left-turners. Or, in cases where I see someone making a right out of a parking lot/driveway, I might swing to the right side... again to be seen.

To me, lane position seems to often be a trade-off particularly for my traffic style. Putting myself closer to the cage reduces my reaction time, but in hopes of being seen in their side-views and prevent a lane change into me.

And over the years driving I think I've mastered getting inside the heads of other drivers. Watching their behavior and traffic conditions, sometimes I think I know what they're going to do before they do.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now, in reference to your other points, yes - I always try and make eye contact if possible, and if not possible, I ride more distant to them, across the lane, just in case of the almost inevitable 'lane change without looking' move.

Riding in front definitely has it's advantages - which is why I lane-split at the lights, to get in front...

Cheers,
Rick

But it's hard to see their eyes while looking at the back of their head!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But it's hard to see their eyes while looking at the back of their head!

But - you can usually see them in the wing mirror. If their face is turned away, or crouched down looking for an iPod or iPhone or something - that's generally not a good time to try to pass!

Cheers,
Rick

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
This is excellent advice, although the honest truth is you got to watch everything!!!

The problem i'm finding is the large numbers of tinted windows here, and quite often darkly tinted, more than is actually legal. So you can't see through the car windows, or even looking in the mirrors, you just see reflections ...

So i don't look for drivers as much anymore, more focused on the car's position and movements. Same goes for trucks and panel vans, you can't see the driver and you KNOW he can't see you.

I've noticed though, that more than specific cars to look out for, position in the flow of traffic means more, it's about behaviour, not appearance. I also focus o n gaps in traffic, because if there's a gap, there's some monkey who thinks his car will go faster there :/

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
No, no, no - you see that's where you're incorrect....

You actually drive on the wrong-hand side of the road (WHS), all in an effort to be different from your forebears.

well actually since the automobile was invented first in France/Germany (depending on the source), then the side of the road that they drive on would be correct. Which is of course the right/correct side or conversely the side that only England and its Territories(former or current) use, the left/wrong side.

But, as for watching people in cars +∞. i even watch through the glass to see brake lights in front of the car in front of me. although i will argue that if it is over a 2 lane highway, i don't want to be confined to a side lane. there are more "outs" in my opinion in a center lane, as long as traffic isn't really heavy (if so, yes i prefer the side)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't trying to say look only at cages, look at everything! Allow all the little pieces to add up to something and help you decide where is safe. Heck when its wet out the moisture reflects brakes lights off the ground so you can see under a vehicle that the car ahead of it is braking. . .

I strongly oppose being in front of cars that are all smashed in the nose. They apparently blew it once and RAN OVER someone so I dont intend to be statistic by staying in front of them and letting them run me over too! :(