Twin Cities Dealer(s) That Offer Test Rides

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm seriously contemplating moving up from my FZ to an FJR but I'd like to actually ride one before dropping that substantial amount of cash. Does anyone know where one might be able to take a test ride somewhere in or around MSP? :confused:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Tousley motorsports had the demo truck last Friday... so you missed that. Here's the demo schedule for the rest of the country - looks like a few weeks from now outside Milwaukee is the only one in the vicinity.

I've had really good experiences with Moon Motorsports up in Monticello, but haven't been serious enough to ask about a test ride.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Does larson's allow test rides? If you were serious enough...

Is this the one?

Yep, that there's the one. Interestingly, I actually took a ride up there to investigate further, however...

<rant> I was under the impression that motorcycle sales aren't all that rosy these days so I found it interesting that for a full 10 minutes I was completely ignored. And there wasn't another customer to be seen in the showroom. This isn't the first time I've experienced this. I'm not sure I'm interested in buying a bike from a place that doesn't seem to have any interest in selling me one. Just doesn't seem like good business to me. </rant> :eyebrow:

... so I'll just keep looking I guess.

cdubyamn

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, that there's the one. Interestingly, I actually took a ride up there to investigate further, however...

<rant> I was under the impression that motorcycle sales aren't all that rosy these days so I found it interesting that for a full 10 minutes I was completely ignored. And there wasn't another customer to be seen in the showroom. This isn't the first time I've experienced this. I'm not sure I'm interested in buying a bike from a place that doesn't seem to have any interest in selling me one. Just doesn't seem like good business to me. </rant> :eyebrow:

... so I'll just keep looking I guess.
I had that same experience at Larsons. I was gonna buy my FZ6 from them, but after I got ignored for 15 min or so I had someone try to help me and they instantly told me it wasn't enough bike for me. I walked out and went to tousley. They treated me great.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FJR without riding it first. That was 85,000 miles ago.

Awesome bike. If you are looking for smooth comfort, very good handling for a 650 # machine and the 1300 will get up and go to 150 plus just fine (er, so I have read).

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FJR without riding it first. That was 85,000 miles ago.

Awesome bike. If you are looking for smooth comfort, very good handling for a 650 # machine and the 1300 will get up and go to 150 plus just fine (er, so I have read).

I have no doubts about the competency of the FJR but as I said, when looking at spending that kind of money I want to be sure. My biggest reason for wanting a test ride is to get an actual feel for how different/better the FJR is and whether it's a significant enough difference to get me to buy now. There are other factors in the equation as well (cash outlay, financing, insurance, etc.)

I have no doubt that at some point I will purchase an FJR as there currently is no other bike that is really on my shopping list (except for a Diavel and that is WAY outside of my price parameters :eek: ). It's just a matter of when. But for now, my FZ as it's currently set up allows me to do the kind of riding I enjoy... and the biggest factor against moving up is that my FZ is fully road-worthy and PAID FOR! :rockon:

So... back to the original topic. Apparently test rides aren't completely unheard of. I went to "Simply Sportbikes" in Eden Prairie yesterday to look at an '07 FJR. (BTW, I was very pleased with the level of attention I got from SS's sales people, even spending some time talking to one of the owners. Larson's et al, take note) From what I could gather for someone to test ride a bike they must for all intents and purposes technically purchase the bike... hand over payment, sign the various documents, notify insurance company, etc. Then if they decide not to buy, then all that goes to the shredder. Just too much hassle for what would be a too brief ride.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last 2 months I have had the pleasure to test ride (at dealer test ride events) an FJR, Concours C14 and a BMW K1600GTL.

If money was no object then there would be a BMW in my garage, but I live in the (2 kids + mortgage <> BMW) real world. Between the FJR and the C14, although it pains me to say it, I would have the C14 over the FJR in a heart beat. It felt better on the road, came with more bells and whistles and just "worked" for me. YMMV

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I finally got my test ride (2011 demo unit) courtesy of S. St. Paul Hitching Post. I didn't have to sign away any limbs or offspring either!

So... I'm sure you can't make a thorough judgement from a short 20 minute ride but I've come to the conclusion that for the near-term my FZ6 does a nice job covering my needs. The FJR is comfortable and makes a ridiculous amount of power. I also loved the power windshield. With a couple of additions/mods (bar risers, not-so-heavy throttle spring) I have no doubt I'd be happy. I was really hoping for "love at first ride" but it just wasn't there and at this point it wasn't enough to make me spend that kind of cash. Someday perhaps. Just not now.