Stock Suspension

cdubyamn

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe this is already a post somewhere. If so please point me in the right direction.

Is it possible to make any adjustments to the stock suspension on a 09 FZ6? I am I bigger dude, 6'3 299lbs. I thought that when I purchased the bike they told me the rear spring was adjustable. I know it has numbers on it, but I am a n00b and am not really sure what the numbers mean, nor do I know how to adjust it if it can be adjusted.

Let me know what you guys know.

Thanks.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Front suspension is non adjustable. Rear shock has preload adjustment. there is a tool in the tool kit for adjusting the preload. for your weight I would put it on 7, ie cranked down all the way.

Last edited:

cdubyamn

Reaction score
Visit site
Front suspension is non adjustable. Rear shock has preload adjustment. there is a tool in the tool it for adjusting the preload. for your weight I would put it on 7, ie cranked down all the way.

Thanks dude. I will take a look tonight when I get home. Appreciate it..

I assume the preload just makes the spring have less play in it?

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
hay there dude your like a healthy 21 stone chap,maybe a suspension upgrade would help out,maybe something like a hyperpro fork and shock spring kit,iam six foot six tall and i have fitted some rearsets to make life more comfortable

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel alone in this, I keep having the rear slide because I'm 6'4 and 285. I talked to a racetech suspension guy and he said my suspension was all wrong for my size and pointed me to thier website, you enter your weight, bike, and riding style and it recommends springs , my next purchase!

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
im 6'2 315ish i rode the bike one the 1 setting for first 2 years, was so effing comfy abosrbed everything(ive had 2 lower back surgeries) i just recently upped it to the 4th setting noticed a big change, id go small before you go up all the way,........btw i didnt have the tool a pair of channel locks worked for me easily, just take your seat off, i had to take the plastic storage off as well,, good luck with it

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
some thing i have noticed the rear shock damping and spring weight match really well at postion four,at most other settings the rates appear wrong

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Bit late here but I am 6' and 230 and when I got the bike, I felt like I was being pounded on going over bumps. And while the rear tire is old and needs replacing, cornering kinda sucked. Looked at the shock and it was on 3. Dropped it to 1 and it is much better. Not so harsh over bumps and the back sticks better.
As another said, start low and go up 1 at a time.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would start at like 5 and see how it feels.....screw your weight, go with what feels best to YOU. I may be a small guy at 120lbs, but I like it set at 4. unless you are hittin some serious corners screw all the technical BS, do what feels right. DO YOU not EVERYBODY ELSE.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Changing the preload only adjust the ride height it does not make the spring softer or harder. The spring rate always remains the same. How fast the shock reacts to bumps is done by shock damping that is not adjustable.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site