Hazard lights - flash once then stop

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
If I press my hazard button all 4 indicators flash once then simply stop. If I then try to use the indicators nothing happens at all.

Similar thing happens occasionally when I indicate. I could indicate left and suddenly the indicators stop working, then if I then try to indicate again I get nothing. I have to turn the bike off then on again to get my indicators to work.

Any ideas? Faulty switch/faulty relay?

Thief

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, check your turn lights bulbs. Probably you have 21W bulbs in indicators so overcurrent protection in relay turning it off. Change bulbs to 10W and will be ok.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea, that may well be the case as my rear indicators are aftermarket.

If I replaced all my indicators with LED ones and changed the relay, would that fix it do you think?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Just change to a voltage independent flasher relay.
It will solve your problems + you could keep it if you switch to the LED blinkers:)

Grtz,

Degake

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Just change to a voltage independent flasher relay.
It will solve your problems + you could keep it if you switch to the LED blinkers:)

Grtz,

Degake

+1 on this. Had the exact same issue, flashing rate normal on turn signal but only one flash on hazards. Led flasher relay fixed this but have since gone back to standard indicators.

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
If I press my hazard button all 4 indicators flash once then simply stop. If I then try to use the indicators nothing happens at all.

Similar thing happens occasionally when I indicate. I could indicate left and suddenly the indicators stop working, then if I then try to indicate again I get nothing. I have to turn the bike off then on again to get my indicators to work.

Any ideas? Faulty switch/faulty relay?
Bet you a months wages its your relay m8.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going with defective flasher relay - I couldn't find the wattage rating on stock flasher but aftermarket electronic ones are rated at 150W.
LED Flasher Unit LF1-S-FLAT Specifications

However, it does behave as if it's over loaded. . . Too much current and they don't cool off so they stay on. Its a bi-metalic spring inside.

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going with defective flasher relay - I couldn't find the wattage rating on stock flasher but aftermarket electronic ones are rated at 150W.

However, it does behave as if it's over loaded. . . Too much current and they don't cool off so they stay on. Its a bi-metalic spring inside.

If you have downloaded the service manual go to section 8-61,it shows the relay (figure 11)under the seat or sidepanel,a rough test is tap the relay with a screwdriver handle when the hazars/indicators are in the"on"position,this often unsticks the bi-metallic strip temporarily making it work....replacement is easy.
............POSSIBLY NOT......
Was bored so decided to check what/where etc of relay in question....
Unlike most flasher relays mine(works fine)doesnt emit any clicking sound etc,even had my ear to it whilst operating hazards etc(possibly a transistorised unit??),anyway heres the location and info for the relay....good luck

Last edited:

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't order the relay from superbrightleds as they have a minimum order value when shipping to the UK however I've found this one one eBay which looks the same as the one on Bonemans site.

Will this one be ok? (even though it says Honda)

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't order the relay from superbrightleds as they have a minimum order value when shipping to the UK however I've found this one one eBay which looks the same as the one on Bonemans site.

If you look at that eBay store, you'll see they have one listed as Yamaha led relay as well.
It is in fact the same relay :)
So yes, it should be good to go with ;)

Grtz,

Degake

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site

I know most people hate halfords, but they sell led flasher relays for all manufacturers of motorbikes and the Yamaha one they sell fits. I think it's about 15 quid. Available from most halfords with a motorbike isle I'm assuming. But only the big ones :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . I couldn't find the wattage rating on stock flasher but aftermarket electronic ones are rated at 150W.

These all fit together to tell a story. . . Here the is the ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS from the service manual showing:

Bulb voltage, wattage × quantity
Headlight 12 V, 60 W/55W × 1
12 V, 55W × 1
Tail/brake light 12 V, 5.0 W/21W × 1

Front turn signal/position light 12 V, 21 W/5.0 W × 2
Rear turn signal light 12 V, 21W × 2

License plate light 12 V, 5.0 W × 1
Meter lighting LED

SO - according to the manual - that's 4 X 21 watts (bold section above) or 84 watts for blinkies. . . If I'm not mistaken, that contradicts the Picture above showing flasher unit with "Turn Signal 10W X 2 max" and Hazard Warning 10W MAX 4 BULBS.

Last edited:

gstarkey78

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had this issue and I checked the relay no dice, but just to be safe I put dielectric grease in the plug the I double checked front indicators which I had replaced and rewired a few months ago and included the rear as well due to previous owners mad an hash of, but found all was well so I decided to take the handlebar switch apart and found water has seriously got in either from condensation due to very cold weather or the constant rain here in Ireland so I dried and cleaned and pumped dielectric grease in to all parts and that was the issue and now perfect smooth and feels better than new. How this helps. Check everything even including the switches.