Cold air intake

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
I was curious about the possibility of a cold air intake mod of sorts. The reason being that on a 70* day my intake air sensor is reading 122* and it seems to me that a colder denser intake air would produce more power after the computer compensated with fuel. I know about the airbox mod and am unsure of the ability to introduce cooler air because it essentially gets its air from the same place

Dadeadlyraccoon

Reaction score
Visit site
What I might do this coming year is buy a shorter and smaller battery to clear up some space under the tank and then make a like air duct that attaches to the airbox and goes almost out the front of the tank. This should send the air straight in right to the filter. So far I have cut the airbox out a little and richened up my fuel mixture along with it and now it goes a bit better and somehow increased my fuel economy lol.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
lifted the tank up :scared: the sensor wasn't in the air box

haha!!! The fun you've had under there. . . .

At first I thought you pulled in my idea of lifting the tank to get more air under it, but, suprize! Found something else! Anyway - lift the tank, but then you'd have to mod the seat.

Just cut some ducts through the cast frame and run the air inlet through there!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's the SV1000 mod where they lift the front of the tank 1/8" and they say they get cooler air. Wonder if this would work for the FZ6?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's the SV1000 mod where they lift the front of the tank 1/8" and they say they get cooler air. Wonder if this would work for the FZ6?

I just searched and it looks like no one's tried that. or at least they haven't posted about it if they did. To be really worthwhile, the bike would have to be dyno'd with and without the tank lift, and then with and without the airbox mod, to answer all of the questions floating around here. And then again maybe with and without the alien invasion prevention mod? :BLAA: In any case, we'd need a forum member who knows a friendly dyno shop. If 25 ppl contributed $25 to the cause, that might get to the neighborhood of the cause. But I'm not sure that you're allowed to share maps. And the non-dyno'd participants would all likely be slightly off, just 'cause every bike's a little different.

Just cut some ducts through the cast frame and run the air inlet through there!

Wasn't there a guy on the Ninja forum who did that? I seem to recall a much ridiculed Ninja owner who cut his frame in the pursuit of improved airflow. It'd be worth finding out if he's still shiny side up and on the same bike.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My worry is water ingress. If there's a 'cold air', or more specifically a ram air duct, where does the water go?

No doubt you'd have to can an 'outlet' in the bottom of the airfilter box - but then the air filter wouldn't be pressurised, so the ram air wouldn't work.

This is something I've toyed with on my 4x4, and succeeded in lowering the intake temp, but the FZ6 doesn't have much room....

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've given this some thought before and I think in order to make any sort of difference the tank would have to be shimmed up about a 1/8", a smaller battery put in and figure a way to route a oval shaped pipe so that it works as well as looks good. I have also thought about using the small openings on the side of the tank as a ram air setup but clearances would be a lot tighter.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just searched and it looks like no one's tried that. or at least they haven't posted about it if they did. To be really worthwhile, the bike would have to be dyno'd with and without the tank lift, and then with and without the airbox mod, to answer all of the questions floating around here. And then again maybe with and without the alien invasion prevention mod? :BLAA: In any case, we'd need a forum member who knows a friendly dyno shop. If 25 ppl contributed $25 to the cause, that might get to the neighborhood of the cause. But I'm not sure that you're allowed to share maps. And the non-dyno'd participants would all likely be slightly off, just 'cause every bike's a little different.

Wasn't there a guy on the Ninja forum who did that? I seem to recall a much ridiculed Ninja owner who cut his frame in the pursuit of improved airflow. It'd be worth finding out if he's still shiny side up and on the same bike.

I think you could get an air temp reading-Tank down. Then an air temp reading Tank up 1/8" and see if there is a difference. Cooler air is always going to help. :D

That Ninja trolling was hilarious! :rof: