Pod Lights as Signals?

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I thinking of using the pod lights I just installed as signal lights and removing the stock front signal lights. Also remove the rear signal lights and installing a LED tail light with integrated signal lights. Anyone do this or see problems with it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can power them (pod lights) with the running light circuit and use these relays that will interrupt the running light voltage each time the turn signal turns on. In other words they alternate.

Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

MBLINK_Small_wbg.jpg

If you use LEDs some member say you can wire the running light to the positive lead on the LED and the negative to the flasher positive. As the flasher voltage goes positive on the LED ground, it does not conduct and when the flasher goes off it provides negative path and the LED conducts. I have not personally tried this and would prefer the small relays because electronic flashers may vary from OEM flashers and behave differently. If you want to build your own magic relay I have a schematic I made a while ago when I was thinking how I would do the same thing. :D

Hope this helps.. and crank up that rear spring if yer ridin those girls pillion...Better watch it or they'll ride you pillion!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Other than not being seen. Nooooo problem!

Seriously the Pod lights are recessed and shielded from view. If you want people to know you're signaling - these are not the answer.

I left mine on and walked away to see how far they're visible in day light. Its not far and anything from the side like an intersection and many won't see you. I personally would not count on them for signaling.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/43723-pod-lights.html

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Other than not being seen. Nooooo problem!

Seriously the Pod lights are recessed and shielded from view. If you want people to know you're signaling - these are not the answer.

I left mine on and walked away to see how far they're visible in day light. Its not far and anything from the side like an intersection and many won't see you. I personally would not count on them for signaling.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/43723-pod-lights.html

How about running some bright LEDs to make them more visible?

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about running some bright LEDs to make them more visible?

The pod lights make a great extra flasher.

Jman & Finalimpact hit it right on. Even bright LEDs won't make you visible from the side. Pod lights are a cool add on for the front of the bike.

I have LEDs for running/turn signals mounted on the side. The pod lights are LED signal only.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about running these.
wled-whp13.jpg

I disagree that you can't see the lights from the side. Choose the right led and it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe at night, but I'd like to see your install from the side in bright daylight. We'll be on the lookout for other bikes. Cagers can't see our headlights let alone a little LED, no matter how cool they look to us.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this a while back on the FZ1... I made them alternate with the stock signals when turning but running lights otherwise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LvPsoT-jQ&feature=plcp]2009 FZ1 Pod Lights installed - YouTube[/ame]

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this a while back on the FZ1... I made them alternate with the stock signals when turning but running lights otherwise.

2009 FZ1 Pod Lights installed - YouTube

Mine do the same exact thing. This is what happens if you wire them up the easiest way. I would like to get those relays from customled though to make them even.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine do the same exact thing. This is what happens if you wire them up the easiest way. I would like to get those relays from customled though to make them even.

The pod lights will blink alternately as Cobalt's does.

The Custom LED "Magic Blinker" is designed to allow single filament light bulbs, single intensity LED assemblies, or any two-wire indicators to function as both running lights AND blinkers - at full brightness!

Simply connect your two-wire incandescent or LED indicators to the Custom LED Magic Blinker, and your indicator bulbs/LEDs will now stay on constantly as running lights, and blink when you engage the blinkers! (Note: the indicator will turn off for the duration of the blinker pulse - this is how the blinking is achieved.)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about running these.
wled-whp13.jpg

I disagree that you can't see the lights from the side. Choose the right led and it shouldn't be a problem.

If you does these - be prepared that the vibes will likely literally shake the longer unit out of the socket. Maybe apply a dab of silicone on the boot and bulb (clean it with lacqure thinner so it sticks to the rubber).

FWIW: My opinion is unchanged. Its not worth ones life so as to risk it vs keeping stalks. . . Be safe!

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running my pod lights as my front flashers - using superbrightleds 921-x12 bulbs hooked to the positive and alternating wires so that they are on as running lights then blink when flasher is engaged. The bulbs are so large that they barely fit through the socket hole and they protrude enough that you can see them from the side but of course they're not as visible as the stockers.

I just hate the front signals on the 07+ models with a passion. No matter what you buy, you're still mounting them to that stupid signal bracket that I assume was a complete design afterthought.