Airbox mod

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
DO IT...this is, by far, the BEST mod I've done on any car or truck or bike.

It eliminates a high pitched whine that I used to think was a part of the engines internals...now I realize is the sucking from the snorkle from the intake.

Its easy...lift up the tank, you'll see the airbox with inlet. Cut off the inlet and maybe a little extra. Thats it.

There's a good tone difference as well, besides the disappearance of that whiney sucking sound. Also, HP gain. I thought it was mental from the sound but I'm sure now that I'm accelerating in faster times than before, with the same twist of the wrist.

edit: on hindsight, I dont recommend modifying it.
its not worth it and you'll be going outside the design parameters of Yamaha for peak performance.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Will look and study on this. I know some airbox mods can be very helpful.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It's worth it...get rid of that design...its there to reduce noise.
View attachment 215
The reddish thing inside is the K/N like oil treated oil filter (pop riveted in place for some reason).

It doesn't have any effect on Air/Fuel ratio...anyone who says so (or says you need to have the computer programmed for it) doesn't understand how fuel injection works.

Last edited:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya know.....Somebody with some flex tubing, a pop rivet gun and a little ingenuity could make a ram-air system out of that mod. I've looked around the bike and haven't found a good route for the tube yet but I bet someone could find one. I bet you might pick up a HP or two from that.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It really wouldn't be worth it...the small gap and twists would cause a restriction that would offset the natural ram effect it would get just from an opening there as it is. I might expand the size of my opening for more air pressure but thats about it. It would probably have a higher pressure by a large opening than any tubing that would be sized and bent to fit.

S

sportrider

This thread has become a soap opera!!! I can't wait to see tomorrows episode!!!:justkidding: LOL :Sport:

P.S. did the mod work or not?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to wait until my new fuel line to be certain. I believe that kink was the reason for the restriction. Luckily, I have a local FZ6 bike thats bone stock minus this mod to compare to.

ETA OF FUEL PUMP...JUNE 18!!! So much for that 'one week latest' that I was told before I paid for it. :(

Murpies

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone think of doing a RAM air in-take together with the air box mob on the fazer6? like the TDM sport model. here are some pics.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone think of doing a RAM air in-take together with the air box mob on the fazer6? like the TDM sport model. here are some pics.

I did but the opening under the tank is just too slow, and it would require too many bends to make it feasible/beneficial. With all the bends, and the size, the benefit of air pressure (especially on the one you posted, because of its small opening) would be offset by the bends and restrictions. An opening in the front of the box would be much better, and have higher pressure at the below 80mph range.

Murpies

Reaction score
Visit site
thks for the reply would try to do the air box mod and dyno tune it. :thumbup:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, did a lot of miles with and without the airbox mod WITH the new fuel line.

it runs better, more torque. sounds MUCH better. i rode around for hours one day, highway hours and twists...then i took it off. my butt-dyno was well tuned so when i took it off, i know it had better HP. i dynoed with wavex's semi-stock bike and did really really good. he was launching better and i would early pass him.
i have a loose chain and my throttle and clutch cables were a bit off too but even still, i was running better.
by the way, i hate how hte throttle cable and chain gets so loose over time.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did a style of mode, not quite servere though. I drilled holes instead of cutting the whole thing out. Noise !!! wow the new sound is huge, it definately seems to have more power. I also drilled holes in the muffler at the same time and had already cut the cat out.

Last edited: