Ignition switch hard to turn

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
My ignition is having some issues. You have to play with it, pushing the key in and out, turning it back and forth, before it will turn to "ON". Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do I need to replace the whole switch? This is on a 06 BTW.

Thanks for any help!

Curguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was having the same problem, until I realized that I wasn't pushing the key all the way in. I had to push it in one swift motion all the way down, otherwise it would not go all the way in, and not turn. Maybe you can try that.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did that when I first got it, too. Sprayed a bit of lube in the ignition and after a while it works great now.

I also cannot lock my steering unless I pull the key towards the back of the bike while turning. I'm guessing one of the owners before me had the key on a keychain with a bunch of other crap. :spank:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wd40 works wonders!!! Plus for some reason on mine I can pull my key out and spin it 180 and 80% of the time it will spin free after that

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
we had this exact thread a few days ago didn't we? Or did I dream that?

Anyway yes WD40 and wiggling works wonders.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I do think we covered it recently. I learned here to push the key toward the '5 o'clock' position while turning. Hell, my mechanic was ready to pull the ignition out until someone told me that move.

Joe

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
silicone lube + wiggle the key from side to side whilst turning it

it hink it's a yamaha "feature"

on my honda i have problems getting the key to go in at all :D

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the ignition problem usually when bike was in heavy rain for couple days and I used graphite powder lubricant. Two puffs and it was back to normal.

Use a lube instead of WD40, because it's a cleaner not a lubricant. Greg mentioned silicone which also would be great. I use TriFlow on all the pivots on my moto and my bicycle. It also smells great ;).

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd go for somethign like silicone or ptfe lube, as these won't attract dirt or gum the ignition barrel up further

MidLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the WD40. Mine had troubles after a good washing - I got a little water in the lock and it became very difficult to turn. WD40 got rid of the water and lubed up the mechanism.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I had the ignition problem usually when bike was in heavy rain for couple days and I used graphite powder lubricant. Two puffs and it was back to normal.

Use a lube instead of WD40, because it's a cleaner not a lubricant. Greg mentioned silicone which also would be great. I use TriFlow on all the pivots on my moto and my bicycle. It also smells great ;).

+1 on the graphite. A locksmith told me never to use anything in a lock except graphite.