New Touring Setup: Input Needed and Appriciated!

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
First off I want to say Hi to everyone since this is one of my First posts and everyone has so much to say when it comes to topics! I have not been able to answer any of my questions so far even with the search button but I wanted to see what real world epxerences people have had with toruing and since i plan on doing some trips in the next three years I need the proper gear (ATGATT) :)

So in the next 3 years I have a bunch of weekend trips i want to take and then ultimately end up with a nationwide tour on my FZ6. Here is the kicker.. right now my bike is stock and i have the Yamaha Soft Luggage. i KNOW this isn't a good setup to rock the nation with! SOOOO here is where you come in.. this is what i am looking for. I can only review so many items but I am looking for personal experiences with items that you have found work great with your fz6! So here are the items I am looking at and if you have had experience or heard of good or bad about that item then please .. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD .. please let me know! lol

Electrical
GPS :Garmin Nuvi 1370T - Have read a little about this but want to know how the HECK i am going to be able to hear it in my helmet! UGH
Phone :Inspire 4G - This is what i use in my car for music and gps currently. however it only has a 3.5mm TRRS Headphone jack that can be used with an inline microphone (Bluetooth of course is on the phone). Yes i take phone calls while riding (have come up with a solution to mount the inline mic in my helmet and is usable up to 50 mph before you cant hear me anymore. Software used for the phone include: Firewall, Headset Button, Google Maps/Navigation, and Pandora.
Music Player :Apple iPod Touch 4th Gen - This has my music collection but as of late have been using my phone for all my musical needs since i listen to everything through Sony Ear buds.
Communication :Chatterbox X1 - Currently what I have for communication with my GF when we ride together. however it is mainly useless because after about 40 mph we we can no longer make out what each other is saying. After i upgraded to my android phone i could no longer use this system to use the phone while riding (When i say use the phone while riding i have the phone auto answer based upon a piece of software i run to only allow selective people to be able to call me. (Have looked at the J&M 2 way communication with CB and Weather kit and like the idea of it being mounted on the bike all the time and saw the review on here and like the idea of being able to communicate with truckers and my passenger however i don't know how i would get my phone to work with it and a gps unit)
Luggage
Saddle Bags :Givi Trekkers - From what i read this may be what i want as far as size and whatnot. they do look very cool but that is useless unless they are functional.
Tail Bag/Box :Givi Trekker Tail Box - Again what i just said above
Mount Point Kit : SW-Motech Quick-Lock Sidecarrier (Yamaha FZ6 Fazer, '04-'06) EVO Style for Givi, Micatech, Trax, & Pelican Sidecases - dont know much about it but what i have read it is a nice but expensive piece of hardware. however i do not know how i will mount a tail box with this.
Tank Bag :Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak Magnetic Tank Bag - Saw the review of this on here and like the idea of it! (Currently i have the Icon Urban Tank bag and like it but have since worn it out over the past 6 years and it is in need of a replacement)
Comforts of Home
Tent :Sierra Designs Zolo 2-Person Tent - based upon my talks with a co-worker who backpacks every weekend this is the best for what i need.. (for now i have a 4 person tent that will fit the bill that i have had since i was in the boy scouts [no rips and just needs to be waterproofed!])
Air Mattress :Stansport Backpacker's Air Mattress - just what i was able to go by with reviews. I have a foam mattress but not sure that will last in the long haul.
Sleeping Bag :I have a backpacking sleeping bag that I got from REI from when i use to work in AK on the fishing boats (was a hell of a lot easier than carrying sheets around and also was a heck of a lot warmer)

So that is all i can think of at the moment. I think that is the basics of what i see most people have for Higher end touring but then again that is just me reading and not actually doing. As far as cooking on the go I don't know what I will do in regards to that.. i think beanie weenies will be my friend :D

DanFord

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as music and comms go I have a scala rider G4, works great even up to about 60/70 mph (people didn't even know I was on my bike).

Also connects to music player by Bluetooth and can be used for intercom if you have more than one!!