Slip on exhaust affecting idle rpm

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i have installed a stainless steel slip on exhaust system. with the baffles in the idle is pretty much dead on when the engine has warmed up.

when i take out the baffles it sounds like a moto gp bike, it also feels a bit quicker too!! ( but it could be me driving it faster as i love the sound :rockon: )

the idle speed is somewhat higher with the baffles out, the haynes manuel specifies between 1250-1350 rpm. could this damage the engine? or is it a case of the engine running too lean or rich??

I done intend to drive very much with the baffles out as it is too loud even with ear plugs :Flash:

Thanks guys :thumbup: :thumbup:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Without the dB-killers installed, you have some decrease in backpressure in regard to the OEM exhaust. The air/fuel ratio will also change a bit.

Do a Throttle Body sync, install a PowerCommander and get it tuned :D
It's the best way to go and you'll have a very even idling RPM speed afterwards.

But it won't hurt riding/keeping it as it is now, you'll only have a loping idle and not 100% benefit of the exhaust (some hp's :))

Grtz,

Degake

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
when the engine is warm the rpm at idle is 1350-1450rpm. :rolleyes:

fuel economy isnt significantly affected as im still getn 1bout 135miles before reserve flashes. :rockon:
My friend has a bandit 6 with a scorpion slip on, if he takes out his DB killer his fuel economy greatly decreases :BLAA:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
when the engine is warm the rpm at idle is 1350-1450rpm. :rolleyes:

fuel economy isnt significantly affected as im still getn 1bout 135miles before reserve flashes. :rockon:
My friend has a bandit 6 with a scorpion slip on, if he takes out his DB killer his fuel economy greatly decreases :BLAA:

That sounds like pretty poor mileage. I can get around 165-170 miles before the reserve flashes. I have been tracking my mileage this year and get between 41-46mpg depending on how I rode on that particular tank of gas.