Alpinestar Octane Gloves

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally for the first time I got my self my first Gloves......
After trip after trip to try and check for the Gloves, I ve decided to have the Alpinestar Octane Short Gloves for summer riding....Just received them today and try on to see how s feel...
It s quite snug specially on the knuckle area but once all hand inn then is different feelin...Very secure and firm feeling and very precise cut for palm and fingers....
Good looking Knuckle Protection like GP style and has Air Ventilation thru it
A bit weird feelin on the tumb and I believed is because of the outside protection and padding that has not break inn...
Overall as visual inspection is awesome products that offer lots of extra protection as GP class, but gotta wait at least couple weeks to see how good and solid their quality of the gloves.......
Cant wait to try them on soon....:Sport:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have some alpinestar gloves that when I originally put on they didn't fit right but after some break-in I love 'em! They did tear a seam in less than 6 months though.....

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have the used Alpinestar Mesh gloves that I used to wear before...
They re completely different feeling....with this new one is kind of teach me the way you controlling trottle since the knuckle protection so big so it made my finger always want to be straight barely on top of front brake...
No vibration as well and very controllable feelin in palm area.......
Overall after hour break inn riding, I m quite satisfy and there are such good bargain for this Octane Glove 2007...I think they run $40 in ebay....
The only different is they dont have small logo in point finger...
Other then that they should do the job well....

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see those when I was looking for gloves! I use:

Alpinestars Stella GP Plus for cold weather. Took some breaking in but are really comfy now.

Alpinestars SMX2 AC for warm weather. Took NO breaking in and were comfy from the beginning.

I like both but wish my warm weather pair were leather....

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered a pair of these as my Castle mesh gloves just developed a tear after just one season of use. I'm not sure I need the big honkin knuckle protector, but I'm sure it can't hurt. I went the e-bay route. Thanks for the tip

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrat bro....I would go ebay route as well if I didnt get a good deal of some member who sold me some Gift Certificate...
It took me awhile to look close side to side and went thru the description
I belived you ll have awesome gloves for braking price...
Cheers....:thumbup:

Just ordered a pair of these as my Castle mesh gloves just developed a tear after just one season of use. I'm not sure I need the big honkin knuckle protector, but I'm sure it can't hurt. I went the e-bay route. Thanks for the tip

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
These gloves came in a while ago, but it has been too cold to wear them. It finally warmed up last week so I wore them a few times. First of all, they look really cool. They offer the protection to the wrist bones that I was looking for. The leather seems really thin on the palm. There is also no padding on the palm (just a little at the heal of the palm). I ride bicycles and most bicycle gloves have padding to isolate the nerve running through your wrist, from vibrations. I don't know why motorcycle gloves skip this. It seems that not having it could lead to hand pain (or hands falling asleep). Anyway, since I use Grip Puppies, this is not a big issue for me. The gloves were tight and hurt a little on the hand below the pinkey and on the back of the thumb. The first pain has gone away as the gloves streched a little with use. There is a protector do-dad on the back of the thumb, that is putting pressure on my thumb. I think my hand position on the clutch side has the back of my thumb pressing on something stationary. If I move my hand a few mm to the left, then it is OK. The thumb on my right hand is fine. So here is my take on the so far:

Pluses - Cool looking, pretty good venting, smell like leather, good wrist protection, can operate zippers, reach into pockets etc with gloves on, higher level of protection comparied to what they replaced

Minuses- need a break-in period, left thumb do-dad is sometimes a pain, not much padding.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a noob in ever aspect when it comes to motorcyles and gear. What do you guys know about these gloves. The sales rep told me these were real real good summer riding gloves. I also payed 58 dollars for them.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2 pairs of Castle gloves...the mid season and the sport mesh. I like the gloves, but the mesh developed a tear in the mesh part after one season. The leather gloves looks solid. I like the padding on the palms (like bicycle gloves). I was going to buy the gloves that you have but opted for the Octane because I wanted some padding on the wrist.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, now I'm bummed. My Octane gloves that I got mid last season have developed a hole in the thumb. It seems like operating the turn signal wore a hole in the thumb. I always thought that the leather was thin, but come on!!! They were really comfortable and they looked great, but of they can't hold up to a turn signal, how are they going to hold up to asphalt? I am not looking for a new pair of summer leather gloves.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cortech Accelerator Series 2

I highly recommend those Cortech Accelerator Series 2:
Cortech :: Gloves :: Accelerator Series 2 Glove

I got them for my Southern California rides - for the ventilation, perforated high quality washable stretch leather, etc. and I couldn't be happier.
Weared them on cold mornings too, in the mountains and they weren't cold at all, I was pleasantly surprised.
I tried a bunch of AlineStar before but there was no comparison with this - they were or to warm, or too flimsy, didn't like them.
The Accelerator was perfect.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading everyone's posts, a majority of the members had mentioned encountering some kind of tear during a very short period of time. I too have encountered tears due to just normal wear and tear from every glove I've owned. So I decided to try the Kevlar Gloves made by Cycleport. The tear abrasion strength of kevlar is the best, even better than leather. The gloves are very lightweight and breath very well. They are guaranteed for life, over 3000 pairs sold and non has ever been returned according to the owner. You can wash these as many times as you want and it will not ruin the strength of the gloves, unlike leather.

This will be the last pair of gloves (at least for summer) that I will ever have to purchase.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/18842-air-mesh-kevlar-pants-gloves-review.html

PLANEMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear about the kevlar. I have a pair of a* gloves that split at the seam during a slow high side event. a* stepped up to the plate and replaced them at no charge, but now the replacements are wearing early on the thumb material. I'm looking for something more reliable.