Highly tuned engine

wheelwatcher

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been reading articles and forum posts about the FZ6 and it seems like a great bike. I judge a bike by how comfortable and practical it is for daily multi-hour trips with a passenger. The FZ6 seems to be pretty comfortable (with a good stock seat) but I'm concerned about the need to constantly rev its engine and downshift to wring useable mid-range power out of it (i.e. accelerating on the freeway, general cruising at sane/legal speeds). Perhaps it's too small of an engine for two-person rides.

Would you FZ6 owners chime in and give your experience with the highly tuned nature of its engine. The high revs, the vibrations/buzziness, lower engine braking and lower mid-range power? Is this a useful/practical model for constant 2-up riding and for travels of great distance? Would you recommend another model or engine size for such a purpose? Keep in mind I don't want something much heavier (maybe 500lbs tops) or much more expensive. $8000. The Kawasaki Z 750 S sounded great, but I don't think Kawasaki is importing them any longer.

Please note which year model you are referrring to. Thanks for the input everyone! Daniel

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems somewhat crazy to me to think of 2 people on this bike for long trips. Others may completely disagree but if thats what you a bigger engine, and more touring would probably be better.

Now, if its just one with saddlebags and a tailbag like I got :Sport:
then I would say its perfect :thumbup:

riding this bike is addictive

Sorry forgot the details - 2007 FZ6 with about 70 miles on it. I came from a 1985 FJ600 and I cant believe the difference. The shifting still has a somewhat clunky feel but it works just fine. I shifted like I was on the FJ and the front end lifted off the ground, so power is not an issue. Its damn fast when you want it to and will chug along happily at low rpms as well. As my experience is limited to an older bike its hard for me to make a good comparison as the engine feels like silk to me.

Last edited:

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and my wife ride mine quite frequently for long trips. After about 70 miles or so we need to get off for a bit . I love my bike and I think it has ample power with or without a passenger. I think corbin makes a back seat rest for one of there seats that might be nice.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak about 2-up riding because I haven't had a passenger on my FZ6.

I would like to say that the bike does not need to be ridden at high rpm to perform nicely.

There is definitely an increase in power at 9 to 10K rpm, but I rarely go there.

If you want to be mellow, 5 to 7K has no trouble dishing out the acceleration when you need it unexpectedly.

Keeping it at 8 or 9K keeps the real sweet power very close at hand. But keeping it at this level makes me feel like I am being too aggressive for my daily commute.

I doubt you will find anyone riding this bike that feels it is under-powered, even in the "less than optimal" rpm range for the power band.

It's still a 4 cyclinder, so I think the accessible power band is much winder than any of the 2 cyclinder counterparts.

Anybody disagree?

BTW - since you mentioned weight concerns on other bikes. This guy at work just bought a Hayabusa, specifically because he wanted something that could easily handle 2 riders and still perform. I sat on it and the thing is huge. But what I could not believe was the dry weight. That thing weighs over 900 lbs!

I know it's a 1300cc but geez. Put some gas in that thing and you are riding around on like 1/2 ton of pure hp. I really wonder how it handles?

W

wrightme43

They dont handle so well. They were at deals gap when we were. Its not the place for them.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, that info. the guy gave me didn't seem possible and I couldn't leave it alone so I went and looked at the sticker myself.

The number he gave me as the dry weight was actually the GVWR or maximum rated weight of bike, gas, and anything else like riders. According to the Suzuki web site, the dry weight is like 480 lbs.

I couldn't imagine why that bike would weigh twice most others, and of course it does not.

I can't remember the FZ6 numbers and can't check the sticker because I removed them :D

I think it's like 430 lbs. So given the Hayabusas 180 hp and 480 lbs. that's 2.66 lbs/hp versus like 4.48 lbs/hp for our babies. But we can still take 'em on the curves right :Flip:

S

sportrider

according to Motorcyclist magazine, the Busas wet weight is 550lbs
the FZ6 is 461lbs and the busa has 156.1 rwhp vs the FZ6 at 92.8 rwhp.
now anyone thinking that makes the FZ6 heavy consider this a Ninja 500R weighs 443lbs and they feel really light!!! I'll take the FZ6 18 lbs more but 42.6 rwhp more. yes a hayabusa has 63.7 rwhp more but it also is packing 89 extra pounds with a weight/HP ratio of 3.52, the FZ6 weight/HP ratio is 4.96.

so what does all that mean??? absolutely nothing; but if you come across some squid on a Busa talking all the hp facts, here is a little fact that he won't know, besides if you want to look at real numbers the Hayabusa will destroy an FZ6 on, call an insurance agent and ask for a quote!!!:thumbup:

S

sportrider

I knew there was a reason I am not a news reporter.

Can't get the facts and figures right!

Oh well, who gives a f*** :D
LOL no worrys the manufactures give dry weights, that means no fork oil, water in the battery, gas, oil, coolant, brake fluid, and I think they fill the tires with helium.
:Sport:

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
there are other options other than the VFR which is an 800cc machine in the 600cc bracket CBR 600F, Bandit 650, Hornet, but i love the flexible motor on the FZ6 get it up into 6th and stay there with plenty of power for over taking even in 6th drop a cog and hang on as it picks up and takes off. not tried 2 up as its to tall for the wife to get on.
07' FZ6 S2

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
his profile does state were he is - not sure they would make better tourers than the FZ but they are another option to look at:Flash:
and is that another bike you guys dont get the bandit 650 :confused:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
my input

If you want a long all day trip, get a new seat or a more comfortable bike. Yesterday I was on vacation and I drove from 9 am, to 11 pm. My arse hurt like it had been in the pit of hades. Still a bit sore. Lucky me my good buddy called me late in my ride and invited me to enjoy his hot tub, those water jets really help a lot on the ol bum =). Is that something you can get used too, like horse riding? Anyway, the power thing. If you pet her nicely she will move you along very non dramatically, but there is a very very fine line between the rational side of the bike, and the growling bangal tiger. You need absolut control of the throttle when being docile. When on the highway, its comfortable revving 70mph at 6K rpm, and like said before, when you twist it in 6th, it revs up very quickly letting you pass whomever. If you want to just jump ahead like warp speed, drop 2 gears. 4th gear is very very tall, if your not going over 100 thats a great get out there gear at freeway speeds, though I would suggest when dropped to 4th, its just for the innitial take off, as going up to 5th quickly after dropping to 4th will continue the acceleration that almost feels like the bike wants to take off without you. Exillerating!!! The only reason why I have this bike, in all truth, 5.1 gallon tank. sit up riding position and I can lay on the tank for the twisties if I want too. Large power to weight ratio, large being thats what i'm comfortable with. It is very comfortable for 1 to 2 hour jaunts to visit friends or just to clear your mind. Good luck with your choice, i'm sure it will be perfect for you as only you can decide. 2 up riding has to be very uncomfortable, I think the exhaust is hotter on the top portion of the seat, less insulation? Keep those short and its fine.
what ever you do, keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
1 to 2 hour jaunts to visit friends or just to clear your mind. 2 up riding has to be very uncomfortable, I think the exhaust is hotter on the top portion of the seat, less insulation? Keep those short and its fine.

1 to 2 hours??? You must have an extremely low tolerance for discomfort :)

When you say "has to be" is that just your guess or have you received feedback from your passengers???

My GF has probably logged close to 3,000 miles on the back of my FZ6 and has never mentioned heat from the exhaust as an issue. The 2007's, with lower rubber mounted passenger pegs, are even more accommodating for 2up riding than the previous years.

EDIT -- thread re: riding 2 up on the FZ6

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/925-2-up.html
________
Infants wellbutrin

Last edited:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
kk

In speaking about the back of the seat being hot, when I stopped for gas the other day, I rested my hand on the back seat and it was HOT. The side I was sitting in was not. It was also about 99 degrees outside too. Maybe just the sun beating down on the seat.
I am still breaking in this bike, so I have not had enough time for my arse to adjust to the seat. Yes, as you first break in the bike it can be uncomfortable on the bum. My arse says its still burning from this weekends riding. What doesnt kill me makes me stronger though so I have that to look forward too. I love the bike though.

S

sportrider

on a typical weekend ride I'm on the bike for around 8 or 9 hours. you'll get used to it!!!