My battery suddenly become less power

lucas_lik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I would like to ask whether have anyone encounter battery issue like me. It is fine during first few start during the ride...but when my bike engine cut off due of not putting up the stand or put too much clutch, I couldn't start the bike anymore...and the battery become very weak....so I ask my mate to push start the bike...after the ride, I kill off the engine during the switch and start again...then it start like normal....Does this issue come from battery or is there any wire socket problem?....

Thanks for everyone opinion and help..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I would like to ask whether have anyone encounter battery issue like me. It is fine during first few start during the ride...but when my bike engine cut off due of not putting up the stand or put too much clutch, I couldn't start the bike anymore...and the battery become very weak....so I ask my mate to push start the bike...after the ride, I kill off the engine during the switch and start again...then it start like normal....Does this issue come from battery or is there any wire socket problem?....

Thanks for everyone opinion and help..

You may have a bad battery. Charge the battery and have it load tested. There may be other issues but try to test the battery first. :D

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you hear the starter trying to engage or was it all dead?
Normal display readings once you turn the key (before hitting the start button)?
I am unsure what the real term for this is, but directly translated from Danish - maybe some of the cells in the battery just collapsed?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you hear the starter trying to engage or was it all dead?
Normal display readings once you turn the key (before hitting the start button)?
I am unsure what the real term for this is, but directly translated from Danish - maybe some of the cells in the battery just collapsed?

Yes he said his battery became weak so I thinks he may have a bad battery. But if he's just tooling around town at low revs and he keeps stalling and starting???

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes he said his battery became weak so I thinks he may have a bad battery. But if he's just tooling around town at low revs and he keeps stalling and starting???

I read it like he forgot to put up the side-stand (and engine cuts) and the bike/battery didn't have enough power for a 2nd start shortly after... or forgot to pull clutch when trying to start the bike with 1st gear already engaged.

Or was the clutch thingy while riding?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read it like he forgot to put up the side-stand (and engine cuts) and the bike/battery didn't have enough power for a 2nd start shortly after... or forgot to pull clutch when trying to start the bike with 1st gear already engaged.

Or was the clutch thingy while riding?
One was clutch stall and the other kickstand down while in gear...:rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhh I get it :)
Are we the only two people online? :D

Every 2nd or 3rd day when I get home I forget to go to neutral when putting down the kickstand (to jump off and open my garage). :spank:

That's how a lot of people shut their bike down! LOL!

I've been busy on here all morning and I have to get something to eat!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Almost sounds like a heat issue. Usually batteries are OK being warm but often fail to crank when too cold. Slow cold cranking can also be attributed to a tight engine and cold engine oil. Not the problem described here.

But what they appear to describe makes me think the cable, cable connection, or cable resistance is going up when warm (acid ate the cable away but the insulating jacket looks OK?). I'd be for raising the tank and inspecting the cables, fasteners, and hitting the start button. High resistance joints make lots of heat when cranking. Sometimes you may even see smoke from bad connections.

EDIT: I guess it could also be the starter or relay. But I wouldn't go there until the battery is load tested.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
But what they appear to describe makes me think the cable, cable connection, or cable resistance is going up when warm (acid ate the cable away but the insulating jacket looks OK?). I'd be for raising the tank and inspecting the cables, fasteners, and hitting the start button. High resistance joints make lots of heat when cranking. Sometimes you may even see smoke from bad connections.

I second this. Double check you connections and make sure they are clean and tight. I had loose cables and they caused random issues.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been a lucky boy battery-wise.

8 years, 51,000 km and I still have the original battery.

If it gets a bit weak after a winter break I just hook up the Optimate 3+ for a couple of days and it is good as new.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been a lucky boy battery-wise.

8 years, 51,000 km and I still have the original battery.

If it gets a bit weak after a winter break I just hook up the Optimate 3+ for a couple of days and it is good as new.

Now that's a battery!

Are you in a milder climate? I think less harsh weather helps the life of a battery's chemistry. When you don't have a harsh winter or you have the battery indoors and tended it helps in it's life.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
My brothers car and my bike is side-by-side in my parents garage all winther. We share a CTEK MXs 3.6 and switch wires every 2nd week or so.
My battery is on its 6th year and 50.000km ;)
Haven't had any battery-issues...

lucas_lik

Reaction score
Visit site
I also think is the battery rather than connection...but I have to bring to check...last time I have this issue and it spoilt my relay...I thought the problem comes from the relay...but who knows the problem come again...the connection all have been check and the starter as well....everything seems fine....The problem doesn't come often..just sometimes....I usually ride in town...and seldom drive fast and always drive a short distance...I can still hear the starter sound for a few start...but after a few try...then no more sound at all...need to push the bike...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I also think is the battery rather than connection...but I have to bring to check...last time I have this issue and it spoilt my relay...I thought the problem comes from the relay...but who knows the problem come again...the connection all have been check and the starter as well....everything seems fine....The problem doesn't come often..just sometimes....I usually ride in town...and seldom drive fast and always drive a short distance...I can still hear the starter sound for a few start...but after a few try...then no more sound at all...need to push the bike...

Sounds like a bad battery to me. Charge the battery and then put it on a load tester once the charging is done. The load test will determine how many CCA (cold cranking amps) the battery is able to produce while under a load.

The battery is likely weak and has just enough residual juice to start the engine once. If you're riding slow around town, the magneto might not be charging the battery properly if your riding is under 5,000 rpms. You have to remember our bikes only produce around 400 watts, and that's at 5,000+ rpms. If your riding is short distance and at low speeds, you might not be charging the battery properly by riding it. You also need to remember your headlight, taillight and fuel injection system all require power so you don't even have the full 400 watts available.

When riding, try to keep the engine in a lower gear to maintain rpms at 5,000+. This will accomplish two things. #1, it will help keep your battery topped off. #2 it will allow you to quickly accelerate out of danger if needed.

Try charging your battery overnight at 2 amps. Load test it in the morning and then determine if a new battery is necessary.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the likely bad /going bad battery/ loose or dirty battery cables.

I wonder if the Op is re-cranking the bike with it in gear (clutch pulled in) as there will be a little more drag with the clutch friction plates etc, causing just enough extra load to kill the battery the rest of the way...

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's a battery!

Are you in a milder climate? I think less harsh weather helps the life of a battery's chemistry. When you don't have a harsh winter or you have the battery indoors and tended it helps in it's life.

I live in South Africa where it rarely goes below freezing!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone remember the engine oil over-fill incident where the starter inhaled all the engine oil??? I doubt this is the case but. . . . check the oil level.

How old is this bike?
Is it stored outside?
Is it near coastal waters?

lucas_lik

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought thr bike in 2008...
Never store outside...always in door..

Hopefully is the battery problem...but will check the engine oil

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2