starting / ignition keeps shorting out

jvbull86

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm sure this has something to do with it but it rained last night and the bike was uncovered but this morning when i went to start it I heard the fuel injection start up like its supposed to and the gauges worked fine too but when i pressed start the bike shut off and everything down to the clock shut off. I think it's a short but where should I focus my attention to?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm sure this has something to do with it but it rained last night and the bike was uncovered but this morning when i went to start it I heard the fuel injection start up like its supposed to and the gauges worked fine too but when i pressed start the bike shut off and everything down to the clock shut off. I think it's a short but where should I focus my attention to?

Sounds like your battery has no depth of charge but first check your battery connections. If they're good you should get you battery charged and load tested.

jvbull86

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is the battery cause I tried to start it again today after it all dried out and when i started it, no injection or sound. All that happened was the clock died until I turned the key off. I just got a new battery a month ago. Its a TMS brand battery if anyone knows about them... they're 30 dollars off eBay so i guess its just a crappy battery

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to bump but I had the same issue, went to start the bike and same thing. decided to work on my led install and as soon as I straightened out the bars to gain better access to the front tank bolts everything lit up right as rain and hasn't given me more trouble yet. weird.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to bump but I had the same issue, went to start the bike and same thing. decided to work on my led install and as soon as I straightened out the bars to gain better access to the front tank bolts everything lit up right as rain and hasn't given me more trouble yet. weird.

That doesn't sound pleasant. At least you know where to look! Let us know if you need help.

just talking out loud but - you could go into a corner or turn in front of a car and have a complete SHUT-DOWN! The SAFE thing to do is to PARK IT UNTIL its FIXED! :(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't sound pleasant. At least you know where to look! Let us know if you need help.

just talking out loud but - you could go into a corner or turn in front of a car and have a complete SHUT-DOWN! The SAFE thing to do is to PARK IT UNTIL its FIXED! :(

Totally agree with what Randy has has posted here.

It sounds like you could have a broken wire in the wiring harness in the steering area. Check your battery connections. You have an intermittent connection that should be corrected...

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
bike rode fine yesterday. this morning, absolutely nothing. get the gauges to light up, press the starter and zzzzz it shuts everything off. so now I'm trying to trace the short, this ****ing sucks.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
just rode it over to the cycle shop and he put the meter on it, charging system is working just fine, but he noticed my ground on the battery was loose, got it all tightened up right and no more issues. go figure

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so now I'm trying to trace the short, this ****ing sucks.

FWIW: Opens are like switches to a light bulb. They open and you loose energy to the light.

Shorts; shorts are things that blow fuses, melt wires, cause fires and are taken off before crawling into bed.

So, we have a bad Earth FTW!