Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

• Yes

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 90.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
Right now my array of safety equipment for riding consists of a helmet, gloves, protective jacket, and boots. But the big question on my mind is... Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding? I have never had a spill thus do not know how much jeans will protect your legs from road rash.

I am planning on getting a pair of riding pants, but my thought was that they would be more for when the weather is chilly, but should i consider wearing them all the time?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeans will not protect you from road rash. They will wear away fairly quick. If you want great protection, go for leather pants. If you want an all season pant without the cost of leathers, go with a Mesh style pant that offers a zip-out wind/water proof liner like the FirstGear HT Air overpant or something similar. Without the liner, these offer protection yet lets the wind blow right through. With the liner, they offer light to moderate rain protection and great wind protection. I use these down to 30 degrees with the liner and dockers under them. I'd recommend upgrading the armor to comp-class and buying the hip armor to go with them.

Hope that helps!

ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
get some quality over pants, perferably leather or a leather/textile combo like the SHIFT racing Havoc pants. You'll love them. Oh yeah, having a jacket/pant combo that zips together (just shy of 360) offers significantly more protection.

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
Well thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that jeans suck:thumbup:

Can anyone provide some links to examples of some good pants and jackets?

This is what I am riding with right now for a jacket, and yes i realize its a snowmobile jacket, just all i have right now.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA - Riding Gear Team Race Jacket

I really like the Yamaha road racer zip together leather jacket and pants combo, just a little to much $$$ for me right now.

Northern

Reaction score
Visit site
Just yesterday, i had my fist fall. I was wearing protective jacket and good gloves and regular jeans (stupid me). I was lucky, what the fall was on low speed, so I only scratch me knee. My jeans were not even broken, bu knee heart a little. If I had my protective pants, I won't even remember this fall (except scratches on my bike :( )

J

jsteinb95

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNjpl-ySbd4&feature=related"]YouTube - Drag Test - Undercover Jeans[/ame]

H

HavBlue

I am the lone yes sayer but let me explain. Not all denim jeans are constructed the same and there is a huge difference between the jeans made for casual wear and those designed for work as the work jeans are thicker. The test subject that was dragged 328ft at 37mph actually did quite well considering he remained in the same position for the entire test run. Two years ago I went down on the Harley at roughly the same speed as the test subject and I still have that pair of jeans. The only damage is a small hole about the size of a small coin in the left rear pocket. The sliding distance was roughly 60ft. I am not saying there aren't better pants out there, only saying that my personal experience with the work denim has been positive.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, Jeans are not protective for normal riding. They have no armor and they will fall apart a lot faster than pants designed to crash in. That does not stop me from riding in jeans about half the time, though.... I need some mesh overpants.

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
I am the lone yes sayer but let me explain. Not all denim jeans are constructed the same and there is a huge difference between the jeans made for casual wear and those designed for work as the work jeans are thicker. The test subject that was dragged 328ft at 37mph actually did quite well considering he remained in the same position for the entire test run. Two years ago I went down on the Harley at roughly the same speed as the test subject and I still have that pair of jeans. The only damage is a small hole about the size of a small coin in the left rear pocket. The sliding distance was roughly 60ft. I am not saying there aren't better pants out there, only saying that my personal experience with the work denim has been positive.

I'm with you on the yes, but only becuase I wear them.. BUT, I also wear 'Draggin Jeans', which are lined with kevlar. Not as protective as something with armour, but a hell of a lot easier to wear and use daily. My commute is 4 miles, and I'm happy to wear them for that.

W

wrightme43

I have worn thru jeans in bicycle and skateboard crashes. Have I rode in jeans? Yep. It scares me though so I dont do it very often.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted no, however...I once crashed and "surfed" on my wallet until I stopped. It worked! That said once you have had an ER tech scrub demin out of your hide with a nylon brush you will change you mind about jeans.

From bicycle racing I have "tattoos" of asphalt in my back from crashes over 20 years ago. My shins, knees and butt have a lot of scars from the crashes over the years. A thin layer of lycra doesn't do much and jeans are not much better.

And a lot of my bicycle crashes were high speed, 35 to 45 mph. Imagine a motorcycle at 75.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don;t think they are adequate, but i usually just wear jeans. I am bad, but i know that my legs will probably get screwed if i go down...

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
i don;t think they are adequate, but i usually just wear jeans. I am bad, but i know that my legs will probably get screwed if i go down...

+1 I know jeans aren't solid, but I wear 'em anyway. A lot of folks seem to "compromise" on pants but wear full gear otherwise (I do).

*shrug*

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the results speak for themselves. yes jeans are better than nothing but much over 30-40 mph they will wear through in a matter of seconds. If you really think they are so good why dont you see pro riders racing with them on? because those tight leather pants are so much more comfortable? They think jeans make their a$$ look fat? no because jeans are not the best.

edit: after my rant I will say... yes I wear jeans on the bike. I know the risks associated with motorcycles in general and I weigh out the pros and cons and feel its worth it.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear jeans for one or two short rides a year but it always makes me feel uneasy. There is a lot more to protective gear than abbrasion resistance.

(1) Armor (hips and knees). Yes you can wear strap on armor but then we're not talking about just jeans anymore (and the armor would be prone to shifting). The importance of armor should not be underestimated.

(2) Punctures and burns...leather will do a much better job of preventing your kickstand etc. from gouging your leg in a lowside and will significantly reduce the burns you may receive as you try and crawl out from under your bike which has landed on you (those exhaust pipes get hot).

(3) Comfort...I love jeans, but don't find them comfortable on a bike. Maybe if I was a girl I would, but I don't understand where guys put their equipment when wearing jeans on a bike.

(4) Protection from the elements....well now I'm getting away from the topic of protection so I'll stop here.

I really like these SHIFT racing Havoc pants...

Shift Racing Inc

You can find a lot of deals at New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I put proper riding boots above proper riding pants.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree on the boots comment DI. I always wear my boots. They make such a big difference in having good footing at a stop light, the bike actually shifts better/smoother and they protect your feet if you do fall.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
A former co-worker of mine and I had just about the same accident in just about the same place (at different times, of course). We were both T-boned at low speed (maybe 30mph) by a car on a road that goes in front of said former workplace.

I was wearing full gear, including thick armored textile riding pants, and walked away (my bike was totalled).

He was wearing jeans, and had to have a few burly orderlies hold him down while the nurses scrubbed the asphalt, dirt, and rocks out of his leg. Despite that, the rash still got badly infected.

I scored a nice pair of armored leather pants after that, and wear them wherever I go on the bike. Even if it's 'just down to the store.'

Everyone makes their own choices when it comes to gear. For me, whatever part of my body is not covered by gear when I go riding is the part of my body I wouldn't mind losing.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden out with just a pair of jean, but should have worn some sort of protective pads underneath. Dianese and other manufacturers make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.