power thirst!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes im insane, yes I know it, no I do not care.

For example, the Ford 289 ci (4.7l) and the 347ci stroker all use the EXACT same block. The Modular 4.6l is the same block as the 5.4l.

Did Yamaha use this same concept with the 600cc and the 1000cc engines?
(you should see what I am getting at :D)
If say I were to have found a good R1 motor would It fit in the FZ6?
are the castings different? motor mounts? overall dimensions different or did Yamaha just change the stroke to get the added displacement like Ford and Chevrolet?

CHIME IN!!!! :Flash::Flash:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
When I clicked on your post, I thought this was the Power Thirst you were talking about:rof:

Careful... NSFW!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs&ob=av3n]Powerthirst - YouTube[/ame]

To answer your question, I think the R1 motor likely WILL NOT bolt directly to the FZ6 frame. If memory serves me correctly, the 1000 cc motor is bigger and heavier than the 600 cc version.

Last edited:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I clicked on your post, I thought this was the Power Thirst you were talking about:rof:

Careful... NSFW!!!

I thought the same thing!

I know the FZ8 and FZ1 share the same engine, just a few internal changes to get the displacement down. Not sure about the FZ6 and FZ1/R1. I do believe though that parts from the R6 (year dependent) will fit the FZ6, seeing as how the engine in the FZ6 is a slightly "de-tuned" as they say R6 motor.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
yes I remember ROTFL over powerthirst!!! soooo gdf. :D

I knew the R6 motor would work, but im insane and its go big or go home! :ban:

besides, Im tired of getting walked over by the sportbikes at the dragstrip, I want to destroy everybody in the 600 class, yea i want to be that a$$hole :rolleyes:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes I remember ROTFL over powerthirst!!! soooo gdf. :D

I knew the R6 motor would work, but im insane and its go big or go home! :ban:

besides, Im tired of getting walked over by the sportbikes at the dragstrip, I want to destroy everybody in the 600 class, yea i want to be that a$$hole :rolleyes:

Well, if you changed over to a R1 motor, you wouldn't be running against 600s anymore!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
In the bass boat community, guys used to buy 200 hp outboards and slap a 150 decal on the cowling to remain legal in certain tournaments. Most guys could explain the extra speed by saying they've spent countless hours setting up their hulls, blueprinting the propeller and running light on fuel and tackle. Most folks believed it, and nobody got too bent out of shape if they got beaten to their fishing hole.

However... shoehorning a 1000 cc engine into a 600 bike and expecting to take on 600 cc bikes at the drag strip is a whole 'nother story! I don't think anyone is dumb enough to not notice, or even hear the difference between a 1000 and a 600.

Best of luck with the swap, but I don't think you're gonna fool anybody into thinking you're running a 600.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
my suggestion is ask a custom bike shop if a swap is even possible but you can just get a r1 and slap on fz6 bars and be done with it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
In the bass boat community, guys used to buy 200 hp outboards and slap a 150 decal on the cowling to remain legal in certain tournaments. Most guys could explain the extra speed by saying they've spent countless hours setting up their hulls, blueprinting the propeller and running light on fuel and tackle. Most folks believed it, and nobody got too bent out of shape if they got beaten to their fishing hole.

However... shoehorning a 1000 cc engine into a 600 bike and expecting to take on 600 cc bikes at the drag strip is a whole 'nother story! I don't think anyone is dumb enough to not notice, or even hear the difference between a 1000 and a 600.

Best of luck with the swap, but I don't think you're gonna fool anybody into thinking you're running a 600.

At the dragstrip he's talking about running at I bet it would work, they have so much going on there I doubt anyone would ever notice.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
or get a hayabusa and be done with it :D

That defeats the purpose, because he would then have to run in the super bike class. At this particular dragstrip it's straight up street racing style drags, heads up run what you brung and hope you brought enough. So the sleepers end up walking over everyone because of the class they are out in.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
exactly, they didnt even look at the bike, just asked what it was, not what engine was in it, any mods, nothin :D

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey :)
I understand why someone would want to put more power in a smaller, more lightweight frame.. but why? Lol
Surely the best thing to do would be to buy an FZ1 and then up the power of the already planted R1 engine? Maybe I'm just over looking the fact that you want the FZ6 looks or you just want the FZ6.

My first thoughts would be no. Surely the R1 block would be much bigger, heavier and would require the whole frame on the FZ6 to be modified.. I mean it could be done but how much of the original frame would be left?
Also, just a simple thing would the frame be able to accept the extra 80 horse power?

I'd love to see it done, I really would but how much money would you have to spend to get the R1 engine in the frame, haha.

Good luck with it all, keep us posted :thumbup:

MitchellsFZ6