What material sounds better for aftermarket exhaust?

Does one of the following materials used for constructing the aftermarket exhaust sound better than

• Carbon

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Titanium

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Aluminum

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • They all sound the same, and the only real difference is aesthetics

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • They all sound the same, and the difference is not only aesthetics, but how fast the heat dissipates

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have not had the opportunity to hear different aftermarket exhaust systems in person, so I am looking for your opinion before investing. An aftermarket exhaust system (like Two Brothers) are constructed and can often be purchased in four different materials, carbon, stainless steel, titanium, and aluminum. Does one of them sound better than their counter parts or not?

Carbon
Stainless Steel
Titanium
Aluminum.
They all sound the same, and the only real difference is aesthetics.
They all sound the same, and the difference is not only aesthetics, but how fast the heat dissipates.

Thanks for your participation.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Im curious to see what everyone thinks about this. I think there is difference between stainless steel/aluminum vs carbon cans. It is very subtle, but there is more of a metallic buzz with the metal cans imo. I noticed this riding with a buddy who had the steel scorpions. I was considering getting those at first but when i heard the deep rumble of the CF two brothers, it changed my mind.

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
I have though this too. I also wonder about temperature too. When my wife rides, after about 30-45 min the seat gets hot. I have to stock exhaust, but am debating the CF Two Brothers. Best of luck on the survey!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're going to get different opinions, depending on which cans other riders have.

I have CF Scorpions.
They look beautiful
They sound gnarley
They do not get hot to the touch

I wouldn't have anything else

:D:D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is surely some difference in tone with regard to outer materials but it would be dependent on internal design and materials. How much sound difference there is would be hard for me to tell with out some spectral chart. I can hear the difference of design and could say I like the sound of one design over another.
Humidity and barometric change in 1 hr can change how something sounds to us...

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
From experience i belive there is a difference, now this is not from our bike but a Yamaha YZF R125. My little sister had one and she had the titanium, flame scorched can with carbon end cap (beleive this was titanium internal, not 100% sure though) can and a friend of mine had identical bike with a stainless can (stainless internals) and the titanium was deffo louder and a throatier tone. The stainless was still loud but didnt have the expensive tone to it.

Maybe my ears are broke?

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I read an interesting blurb from the Two Brothers website tonight, and they state the exhaust canister material does not change the sound, only the aesthetics. See the excerpt below. I wonder if other manufactures would make the same claim?

--begin excerpt:

Exhaust Canister Materials
Regardless of sleeve material or shape, all of our canisters perform and sound the same. We manufacture our exhaust systems from different materials to allow you to best match our canister to your bike.

Two Brothers Racing: High Performance Motorcycle Exhaust Systems And Aftermarket Accessories, M2R Exhaust, Street Bike Parts, Race Exhaust Systems, Motorcycle Parts, Sport Bike Parts, Full Exhaust Systems, juice box pro, jason britton

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Tweeking and messing around with exhausts has been one of my favorite indulgences over the years. From fooling around with different can types, baffle types, pipe diameter etc. etc. My opinion echoes the "Two Brothers" blurb. Generally, the material of the canister has very little effect on how it sounds.

The size of the canister (All else being equal) dictates how much packing material it will hold which effects tone and loudness. Bigger diameter canisters will tend to have a deeper tone, longer canisters quieten more.

The baffle type: (All else being equal) Louvered core vs perforated core. Perforated cores generally perform better and mute higher piched noise better. Louvered cores will sometimes "cause" a fliff fliff high pitched sound, but are generally quieter.

Core/Baffle/Pipe diameter: (All else being equal) Larger diameter pipe (core) sounds deeper but will be louder. Also larger diameter pipe is better for high RPM power, but usually negatively effects low and midrange power.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just read this thread and was waiting to see where it would go -

IMO -
1) you can't compare a cans "shell" because *most* of them have packing material that degrades with use. Having said that, one being SS and one with CF WILL sound different over time regardless of the shell. So now you need to compare "new" to "new". Because after that, they will all carry a slightly different tone.
2) the outer material is of little or no value sound wise. Sound is based upon reflections. Reflections occur from hitting solid objects. All shells are pretty much solid objects so good luck with that! but the detail is that the sound wave likely never touches the shell due to the enclosed packing materials used to make it quiet!

Simply put - they likely sound different based upon how much they cost! :BLAA:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd almost be willing to bet that if you took all the materials you had listed, made "straight pipes" out of them, with everyone being the exact same (length, diameter, thickness) you could tell 0 difference, as others have said the sound is effected by the design (choke points, deflections, expansions, louvers, baffling, and packing material)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . . .
Core/Baffle/Pipe diameter: (All else being equal) Larger diameter pipe (core) sounds deeper but will be louder. Also larger diameter pipe is better for high RPM power, but usually negatively effects low and midrange power.
. . . . .

IMO most people install the DB killers because they want the bike a bit more quiet. But do they stay in? No.
Why not?

Installing the db killers does likely bring down the noise sound level there is this trade off. The low tone although louder goes away as the pitch of the Tone goes up. So why do they get pulled? Because the new pitch is higher which bothers our ears more than the lower louder tone. This happens because the volume of the outlet was reduced by inserting the db killer - the pitch went up.

And a higher pitch is more irritating to us even though its slightly quieter.