big bore kit

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm pretty sure that all the FZ6S's have liner-less cylinders. We have a ceramic composite bonded to the inside of the aluminum block.

To install a big bore piston you would have to hog out the block and install liners. This is not to big of a deal but you would lower the heat transfer efficiency.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a massively expensive job to put a big bore kit on an FZ6....cause you do have to get the bores nikasil lined...

I spent many many hours researching this, and have been so close to going down this road...

If i do, it costs $1000 US just to get the bores sorted with the lining...that's just to get them lined, that does not include, pulling the motor, out, and apart, or any re-assembly work.

When my motor gets a bit tired, i will do the big bore thing, as well as some hot cams, lots of other head work, some bottom end work, etc....i expect little change out of between $4000 - $7000 to do the job properly.

I reckon with some serious modding you could extract 125-130 reliable HP, without having to resort to nitrous, turbo, or supercharging intervention.

:thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't you just get an R6 motor?

Surely that'd be a lot cheaper than a big bore kit - and the R6 already HAS different cams and more power...

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the mounting points are different Rick.

Ok - I thought the 2005 FZ6 was the 2003 R6 motor?

Which means if he were to buy a 2003 R6 motor from a wrecker, or something, rebuild it (if needed) then he'd have the same benefits of the FZ6 with big-bore kit?

Cheers,
Rick

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok - I thought the 2005 FZ6 was the 2003 R6 motor?

Which means if he were to buy a 2003 R6 motor from a wrecker, or something, rebuild it (if needed) then he'd have the same benefits of the FZ6 with big-bore kit?

Cheers,
Rick

You need the fuel injection unit from an R6 too....the R6 Fuel injection unit is much different to the FZ6 unit.

You would also need to re-route the exhaust headers, and fabricate a link pipe, to make FZ6 mufflers fit to R6 headers...

And yes, the motor mounts in different places...Am pretty sure Yamaha changed the mounting points when the cast the FZ6 motor cases, to suit the different FZ6 frame.

But with enough motivation, i reckon an R6 motor could be "grafted" into place without too much problem...

But would be easier to just get R6 cams, or better....

dougk35

Reaction score
Visit site
Not meaning to rag on anybody, but before I put $6K-$7K into my FZ6 motor for more power, I'd buy a SS bike, and call it a day. Just sayin.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
And it begins....

Why not get a fz1?

Why not get a r6?

My r6 hurts my back!!!

My fz1 insurance is too high!!!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
And it begins....

Why not get a fz1?

Why not get a r6?

My r6 hurts my back!!!

My fz1 insurance is too high!!!

Or just be satisfied with what you've got. I would go with another bike before putting all that in mine.

$6000-$7000 for a 30ish hp gain just doesn't seem worth it to me. I paid $7300 tt&l for my bike brand new.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I am getting close to coming home from being deployed to Afghanistan. I have a list of mods I plan on making to my bike that will more than likely equal the purchase price of the bike itself. I feel those that ask why not just buy a different bike miss the true aspect of modding. A mod may add some more power, better breaking, better control, comfort, or just be done for the shear cosmetic of it, but whatever the reason in my opinion modding is the result of wanting to make the bike unique. That is why no two modded bikes end up looking exactly like another or performing exactly alike, regardless of the components they share. So to everybody on this forum, please continue to ask can it be done, and if somebody says its pointless, it doesn't make sense, just buy a different bike, then do it anyway.

Last edited:

CBallman

Reaction score
Visit site
Well if your looking to put a big bore kit in it just to get more power out of it...but then consider switching out the sock Fz6 engine with one straight out of an R6, why not just advance the timing of the stock engine. After all thats the only difference between the Fz motor and that of the R6 is the timing....$200 and youve got an R6 motor!!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Or just be satisfied with what you've got. I would go with another bike before putting all that in mine.

$6000-$7000 for a 30ish hp gain just doesn't seem worth it to me. I paid $7300 tt&l for my bike brand new.

well considering i have about $500 in my bike TOTAL invested from price to mods, i got alot of money to spend if you wanna look at it like that lol

i look at it like making the bike how I want it, more power and more comfort are always going to be on the forefornt of my thoughts

Well if your looking to put a big bore kit in it just to get more power out of it...but then consider switching out the sock Fz6 engine with one straight out of an R6, why not just advance the timing of the stock engine. After all thats the only difference between the Fz motor and that of the R6 is the timing....$200 and youve got an R6 motor!!

not exactly....

the r6 has more argessive cams, hints why some people swap, a thiner head gasket (bump up compression), and ived read recently that some of the valve train components are different (which makes sense due to higher revs)

but our motors share the same bottom end so if your goal is to make it a r6 a r6 head would be needed to along with all the other ecu and fueling stuff.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have to wonder if an increase in displacement is possible with the FZ6 motor, by stroking it?

This was the route Honda went with the 919, 954RR motors... simply longer stroke versions of their 600cc engines. I would be very surprised if it took more than a few mm longer 'throw' on the pistons to achieve 900 cc displacement.