Ride Reports - SS2000, Daytona Bike Week, etc

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
OK guys and gals, I apologize for my absence recently but I think I have a good excuse this time. Ive been riding a good bit :)

Since I purchased the Vstrom last October I have put 10,000 miles on it and visited 15 states along with 150 waffle houses as part of the Waffle House Grand Tour Rally.

In March I completed a Saddle Sore 2000, 2000 miles in 48 hours or less. Did this on the way to the IBA party in Jacksonville, Florida as part of Daytona Bike Week.

Then after that I rode down to Augusta for a lunch gathering just before the Masters and last weekend I was up in Casey Illinois for the annual, Moonshine Lunch Run in Moonshine, Illinois.

Below are the ride reports for the SS2k, Daytona Bike Week and the Masters RTE. I am going to start working on the report from Moonshine shortly.

Enjoy the stories and the photos.

SS2K
Bike and Snowboard Adventures: We Rode to Bike Week (A Longer Way)

IBA Party/Bike Week
Bike and Snowboard Adventures: IBA Pizza Party & Daytona Bike Week 2012

Masters RTE
Bike and Snowboard Adventures: Masters RTE - 2012

Ride Safe!

-bryan

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your posts and checking out the pictures. I've never taken the time to write down any of my adventures, but always like reading about other people's trips.

I've done a couple of IBA rides(SS1000 and a RAT ride) and I'll be doing another RAT ride this summer. Last time I rode solo, but this time I'll be riding with my father-in-law and his brother. It was quite a jump from the SS1000 to the RAT, but it was really enjoyable(and tiring on the unfaired CB1000).

I also wonder what the chopper/cruiser crowd thinks about me when I pull up all dirty and gear laden. I have this assumption that they laugh at me as not being a "Real" biker. But who knows, I think it's usually just the posers that have that mindset. I think true enthusiast and riders appreciate all bikes and all riders. I've talked to some folks that I thought would make fun of me but were really nice and interested in what I was up to.

Keep racking up the miles and keep telling us the stories!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the RAT!

Yea we are often referred to as Power Rangers, but then again they look like pirates. So its a trade off. Id rather sweat the bleed any day and my idea of a good ride is going further than the local bar. Each owner and/or rider has their own ideas of what motorcycling is to them. Personally I dont understand the people that use motorcycles as a fashion accessory. Makes no since to me. I ride for me and no one else. But to each their own.

During the ride up to Illinois last week our group had a bit of GPS issue and pulled into a brake shop to get them squared away. Apparently all the workers rode their Harleys to work that day. As you can imagine they all came out to the doors of the building and stared at us. No one offered to help or see what we were up to, just looked from a distance. As we pulled out I decided to show them something their harley would never do... as I turned out of the parking lot I slipped the clutch a bit and blipped the throttle. (Mid turn and still leaning) Pulled the front wheel up and rode out of the lean, set it down and grabbed 2nd. HEHE. Just like a dirt bike... I love that Vstrom.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's a ride, Waffle House my fave. Would love to do a Waffle House tour. When the kids were small they loved for me to take them to W H cause I would get them a waffle with all the syrup they wanted and a coke to drink! Needless to say the MRS was not a fan of that.