First oil change disaster

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
It looked mighty easy, but ended out to be a total mess... Warm up bike, remove oil screw, clean up oil as it shot out and completely missed the oil pan (thank god for shop towels), remove the oil filter with filter wrench.... Wait a sec... isn't the oil filter supposed to unscrew? A couple hard tries and my cup style filter wrench slips, then won't grip it anymore. I come back inside, check online and find the 'screw driver method.' Tried this method and only ended out punching a hole in the filter. Come inside again and look for other methods. I tried everything... Then as I was looking at another forum, someone jokingly told someone else to try a monkey wrench. I don't own one, but I do have a pipe wrench..... It worked! Replaced oil filter (hand tightened), put in oil to level, and finally was finished... Total time from start to finish: 2 hours. Next time should be MUCH faster!

Here's the pipe wrench I got to loosen the filter:
SSPX0222.jpg

Here's the filter after I removed it:
SSPX0223.jpg

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Wow, glad it came off. You did put oil on the new filters' seal, right? That will make it easier next time as well.

Is that a hole in the back of the filter? It must have put up some fight!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
get a K&N filter which has a nut welded on, or get a proper oil filter wrench, it'll make things much easier ;)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that hole in the center of the filter where you punched the hole with he screw driver? If it is the idea is to put the screwdriver on the side of the filter and use it like a handle or pry bar to spin it off. Also those blue handled pliers are channel locks these are pipe wrenches...

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope the hole in the back of the filter is not the one you created when trying to use the "screwdriver method" If so, as stated above, the idea is to shove the screwdriver through the side of the filter and then use it as leverage to break it loose. Pushing it straight through the back will do nothing for you.

Next time you will fly through this job though, trust me.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember to keep some Aluminum foil or old magazines handy when changing your oil. Use the foil or magazines to keep the oil from draining on the catalytic converter. It will also help channel the oil into your container.

Also, it helps to keep the filler plug closed until after you've removed the drain bolt. This will help prevent the oil from rushing out of the crankcase until you're ready to begin draining.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that hole in the center of the filter where you punched the hole with he screw driver? If it is the idea is to put the screwdriver on the side of the filter and use it like a handle or pry bar to spin it off. Also those blue handled pliers are channel locks these are pipe wrenches...

I was going to say the same thing about the wrench. You beat me to it.
On a side note: Monkey wrench=pipe wrench.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cut a 3" x 3" square out of an old bicycle tube, put that on end of filter and put cap wrench on top of that.. it won't slip :)

.. not that it'll help now, but maybe for your next change :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
probably best to remove it

if you want some extra room you can remove the front sprocket cover too, but you don't need to

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site

Ahhhh... that makes much more sense! Yeah, I tried to 'screw' it out with the screw driver and made that hole.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your first oil change!

I give major props your way for doing it yourself. As you said, the next time it will go much faster, both because you know what to do and you are in control of how tight that filter goes on. Soon you'll be a pro and do 10 minute changes.

Again, good work on your first oil change!

BTW, did you make sure to use the best oil? :scared: j/k, not another oil thread ;)

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your first oil change!

I give major props your way for doing it yourself. As you said, the next time it will go much faster, both because you know what to do and you are in control of how tight that filter goes on. Soon you'll be a pro and do 10 minute changes.

Again, good work on your first oil change!

BTW, did you make sure to use the best oil? :scared: j/k, not another oil thread ;)

Thank you very much. I am looking forward to riding the next couple thousand miles, just so I can have a quick and easy oil change! lol

The bike was an 06 with only 1400 miles when I bought it a couple weeks ago, so I was told to use dino oil for the first change. So I got the crap in there now and I have a case of Mobil 1 synthetic waiting until next time...