Pod lights

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally installed the pod lights. . . Good timing too as I found one of the mirrors had the nuts the coming loose. :(

DSC_5045podright.jpg

DSC_5044podlights.jpg

Temp - fix. . .
View attachment 41597

View attachment 41598

I used the R1 holders and LEDs. :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still doesn't work :(

What photobucket has to say:
Don't panic, and don't delete anything! Please, let us explain.

If you have a free account, you can use up to 10GB of bandwidth per month.

APPARENTLY PB put the pinch on my data plan. . . They want $$$$

Blah - blah - blah

Imagine you have a photo that is 1MB in size, and you post it on your blog. Whenever a friend sees your blog, 1MB of data is transferred from your Photobucket account. That counts toward your 10GB per month limit (10GB = 10,000MB, and most photos are much smaller than 1MB).

Now, imagine your blog has a lot of photos on it, and their total size is 5MB. That would mean that 2,000 blog views would max out the bandwidth on your free Photobucket account. If you're linking multiple photos in multiple places, or you post photos on a popular site, your bandwidth can add up pretty fast!

Last edited:

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally installed the pod lights. . . Good timing too as I found one of the mirrors had the nuts the coming loose. :(

DSC_5045podright.jpg

DSC_5044podlights.jpg

Temp - fix. . .
View attachment 41597

View attachment 41598

I used the R1 holders and LEDs. :thumbup:

It looks good!! I want to add them to my bike shortly. What instructions did you follow for wiring? Do they work as signal lights too? What R1 holders and LEDs did you use?

Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What do they do??

They act as running lights. Normally your OEM front directionals stalks have a dual filament lamp. One for the running lamp and one for the directional. Now he has double the running light function and if he decides to change his directionals to LED he doesn't need to use the running lamp signal.

Randy,

Looks great!

What LED lamps did you use? I have the white ones on my SV but I would like the amber color.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
If you've just wired them as running lights, I'd suggest that you change that so that they also alternate blinking as turn signals. The trick is that you do not use a ground connection. That is, you connect the pod lights' plus to the running light wire, and you connect the pod lights' minus to the turn signal wire.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What photobucket has to say:
Don't panic, and don't delete anything! Please, let us explain.

If you have a free account, you can use up to 10GB of bandwidth per month.

APPARENTLY PB put the pinch on my data plan. . . They want $$$$

Blah - blah - blah

Imagine you have a photo that is 1MB in size, and you post it on your blog. Whenever a friend sees your blog, 1MB of data is transferred from your Photobucket account. That counts toward your 10GB per month limit (10GB = 10,000MB, and most photos are much smaller than 1MB).

Now, imagine your blog has a lot of photos on it, and their total size is 5MB. That would mean that 2,000 blog views would max out the bandwidth on your free Photobucket account. If you're linking multiple photos in multiple places, or you post photos on a popular site, your bandwidth can add up pretty fast!
What are you posting that uses 10Gb?

Nelly

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you posting that uses 10Gb?

Nelly

Just the pictures on this forum. BUT if the sum of all pictures viewed in a given 30day period exceeds 10gb they block the content!

In a nutshell, the pictures they host for me/us get accessed and drain the server of precious bits so they stop it when its >10gb month. I guess I need to make a donation but frankly i hate the user interface on PB!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks good!! I want to add them to my bike shortly. What instructions did you follow for wiring? Do they work as signal lights too? What R1 holders and LEDs did you use?

Thanks

None - I did my own thing.
After I pulled the inner panels off the fairing to gain access and saw that only 2 12mm bolts hold the WHOLE FAIRING on, I disconnected the 2 wire harnesses on the left and removed the 2 bolts taking the whole thing inside! So much easier to work on! I'm guessing that took like 5 minutes or less! Seriously I spent more time staring at it than working on it.

Tools:
- OEM allen wrench
- 10 and 12 mm socket and ratchet. 10mm to check that your mirrors aren't falling off! :rolleyes:
- soldering iron
- a drill capable of holding 1/2" bit perhaps a 9/16" would do in a pinch (hole size is 0.550")
- lighter to heat shrink tubing

Materials:
Tape
Zip Ties
Solder
Pod lamp socket from Yamaha PN 5PW-84312-00-00
Connector to yamaha pod lamp (sorry no PN, I had one laying around that locked into it!)
194 lamp or equivalent LED (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ction=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/WLED-xHP5.htm)

Steps:
1) remove inner panels L & R, 2 bolts each by gas tank
2) remove inner panel center section 6 bolts, remove panel
3) disconnect the 2 wiring harnesses, inner left panel
4) remove the two 12mm bolts holding the main support. The whole fairing comes off in 5min.
5) drill the pod lights out using 0.550" drill. Or drill to 0.5" and ream it over to 0.550"
6) insert yamaha pod lamp holder PN 5PW-84312-00-00 with 94 series incandescent lamps or LEDs. I used LEDs PN: WLED-xHP5: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb - WLED-AHP5: Amber @5.95ea
7) Decide on use; running lights, blinkers, or runners that blink (see below)
8) splice in what you need and seal it all up with shrink tubing. I soldered mine on as I don't like the pinch type wire taps.

Hint - when drilling fire up the vacuum and try to suck the loose particles out or pull the main bulbs and vacuum them out. If these bits of plastic stick to a bulb they could cause it to crack and fail.

My choice was Running lights active with key.
I spliced into the turn signal indicators between the stalk and the connector.
Black = ground (-) & Blue +12V when key is on. I did not tamper with the harness in the fairing. The indicator stalks are easily replaced so I tapped into them.

That's about it. check all the screws in fairing for tightness and put it back together.

If you want them to blink ONLY and not be running lights, hook them to the Dark Green (+12 blinker Left) and the Chocolate Brown (+12 blinker Right). Black is still ground. Remember the front lights have three wires.
If you want them to blink AND act as running lights I suggest you install a two micro relays but others have been known to float the ground using the BLUE wire as (+) to the lamp and the L or R Green/Brown as a floating ground (must have incandescent bulbs in the front or rear for this to work. ALL LEDs and this will require 2 small relays.

Drilled the hole:
DSC_5031PodHoleDrilled.jpg

Wired the lights:
DSC_5041podwires.jpg

Installed the LED and plug:
DSC_5043Podwire.jpg

Bits:
For hitting the the middle and straying true to your hole, this center tap bit is where it's at! It's 0.500" so I needed that burr to ream it over just a tad.
DSC_5135Bits.jpg

Take it Off:
Pulling the whole fairing off is a breeze - don't hesitate, its very painless.
DSC_5036FairingCrop.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the alternating Pod flashing using the OEM Flasher as ground potential, the electronic type flasher relay may not behave the same as OEM in this regard. The next time I test an electronic flasher relay I'll post the findings...:D

Great job on this!!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the alternating Pod flashing using the OEM Flasher as ground potential, the electronic type flasher relay may not behave the same as OEM in this regard. The next time I test an electronic flasher relay I'll post the findings...:D

Great job on this!!!

Thanks Cliff!
It came out clean. The work done should hold up as well as anything else. I spent more time looking at options than doing work. I finally just cut back some insulation, wrapped the new pod wire around the leads and soldered them. I gave up waiting to buy the male and female connectors as planed. However I used those on the rear. Somehow I don;t see front LEDs getting the visibility OEM lights do. But they are getting brighter these days! OEMS just not so pretty. . .

As for the flashers - I think the line in the sand is drawn when there are no incandescent bulbs in the circuit. That is the path when using the floating ground. The current goes through the filament. With all LED's there is no path so the relays are needed.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks really good man. :thumbup: Good work. How is the visibility from farther away?

I also have my clear rear w/ red LED stoplight replacement that I need to do. I keep waiting for the bulb to burn out but although the bike is an '07, I don't ride that much so it keeps lasting!

I should do both of these mods at the same time. :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks really good man. :thumbup: Good work. How is the visibility from farther away?

I also have my clear rear w/ red LED stoplight replacement that I need to do. I keep waiting for the bulb to burn out but although the bike is an '07, I don't ride that much so it keeps lasting!

I should do both of these mods at the same time. :)

I'll tell you when someone steals it! :rolleyes:

I stepped away a good distance with the headlights on and its there but the head lights win. PS - I'd never rely on that for turn indicators. Good at traffic light distances. . .