Headlight fuse blows often

calebdoughty

Reaction score
Visit site
My headlight fuse blows quite often and im not sure why, I use an HID light system and it worked great for a while but now the fuse is blowing up every other day it seems.I also have underglow installed if that effects it at all. Any help is appreciated.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
You may have a bad balist for the hids. the aftermarket hids are known for this. If you know how to use a volt meter you can use the amp feature and check draw a 65w bulb should only have about 5.5 amps of draw. Depending on wich balist you have 35w or 55w should be 3 amps or 4.5 amps of draw. But will be higher on start up of the hid bulb and then settle to those numbers.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it could be start up current but even the start up shouldn't take out your fuse. You may have a dead short in the wiring.
You might disconnect voltage for the transformer on at least one of the HIDs to see if it's a transformer or the line shorting. The high beam circuit should just operate a solenoid or shutter with very little additional current.
Maybe retrace your wiring to see if there is a short.

calebdoughty

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure where it could short, the only place i touched was connecting the ballast directly into the headlight line. And yes, it does go out upon starting the bike so it must be the startup current. How do i check for a short in the wires?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the Ohm meter and check for 0-5 ohms to ground. The diode checker works too. Really, you'd just need to start at one end and go all the way through. Only the last segment should have low ohms. And make sure the lines are not energized when you check for ground (battery should be disconnected).

I'd check your current draw first though if you know how. Be careful with that though, if you haven't done it before. Ammeters make great arc welders... :rolleyes:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Washing the bike blew a headlight fuse in my case. Every time. I found a exposed wire and sealed it. Never happened again.