Wiring up gps

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
So KTM has this nifty thing where they prewire some aux connections behind the headlight. Nice! :thumbup:
One is switched and the other always hot.

I need to wire up my GPS so I can GTFO of Dodge (and be able to get back).
There are 2 sets of aux connectors (2x +ve, 2x -ve) tucked behind the headlight.

They are spade connectors. Kinda lame connector for a "hard enduro", but whatever....They look like this:
spade-connectors-female.jpg

For my gps I have a ring terminal that I want to chop off and then crimp onto the female end (top row of pic). I am going to heat wrap that end.
Then I'm just going to slide that onto the male connector that's on the bike.
Should I heat wrap that?
Does that whole plan sound ok? I'm not soldering because I don't know how. Just crimping.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your plan sounds good but you can also get those spade connectors with the plastic already covering the spade. Crimping is not an experience a lot of folks have had and I plan on doing a little video to hopefully shed some light on what crimpers to get and how to use them.

Here's a decent one made by Dewalt.. I use a Klein Tools crimper..

These are dimple type crimpers that I depend on for every job I do with wire connectors. When done properly you will have a mechanically strong and sound electrical connection that will last a long time especially if it's protected from the elements.

You'll notice a male part to the crimper. Many electrical connectors use a seamed section that the wire inserts into. The male dimple should compress the connector opposite the seam. You can generally look into the connector and see where the seam is.

DWHT70272_001.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side note,

Depending on the type of GPS you have, most take 5 volts going in, not 12 volts. I know this as the Garmin 2300 I'm probably going to hardwire to the FZ takes 5 volts going in... ( https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87417&ra=true )

If you look closely at the cigarette power cord adapter with the GPS, it'll likely show input of 12 volts, output of 5 volts or so. Garmin does sell a mini port cable converter (12 to 5 volts) that can be hardwired to a 12 volt system..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side note,

Depending on the type of GPS you have, most take 5 volts going in, not 12 volts. I know this as the Garmin 2300 I'm probably going to hardwire to the FZ takes 5 volts going in... ( https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=87417&ra=true )

If you look closely at the cigarette power cord adapter with the GPS, it'll likely show input of 12 volts, output of 5 volts or so. Garmin does sell a mini port cable converter (12 to 5 volts) that can be hardwired to a 12 volt system..

Correct anything with a USB is 5 VDC. I would think anything with ring connectors will be other than 5 VDC and would be regulated to the 5 VDC

Same with your cell phones etc. :D

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, after the ring terminal, there's a box that makes the electricity go from 12v --> 5v.....technically speaking...:rolleyes:

I have a color coded crimper from Harbor Freight. So I think that matches up with the connectors. The sizes are indicated by color.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, after the ring terminal, there's a box that makes the electricity go from 12v --> 5v.....technically speaking...:rolleyes:

I have a color coded crimper from Harbor Freight. So I think that matches up with the connectors. The sizes are indicated by color.

What I'm talking about is a different type of crimper and the Harbor Freight may not be the same type. Does it ahve a male and female part of the jaw that's used for the crimp?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't like those. They'll work but look at the one I posted. It has a male dimpler. It creates a much stronger crimp. You should be able to get one at Home Depot for a decent price. The Dewalt should work fine. I have the more expensive Klein Tool crimping pliers.

The one you have has 2 concave jaws that don't do the best job. They will work but.... A few bucks more and you know you've got a good crimp. Just remember to look inside the connecter to see where the seam is and make sure the male crimp is opposite the seam. Once you buy the better tool you'll have it foreever and every time you use it you'll smile! :D