Chain Guard Synthetic by Maxima **/***** stars

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Gaurd Crytal Clear Chain Lube. . .

The part on the can where it says, "Chain Guard sets to prevent Fling-OFF and avoid attraction of dust and dirt" - yah, that part. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

Granted it may very well give the chain some life as it goes on nice where you put it, but holly crap me, the bike, my boots, the wheel and even the damn brake caliper, exhaust, both stands, you name it it FLEW OFF AND STUCK TO EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

I don't ride in the rain and I pride myself in a clean bike, I have some work to do as the back end is covered. Both sides of the wheel and the damn tire too! I can't say much for how long it could or will last as I'm guessing I'll never apply it again. $10 bucks to lube my patio sliding door perhaps???

I just don't see how it could help the chain if its all over the bike so I give it 2 out of 5 stars! But in defense of the Manf, none of the bullets on the cans label include words like, "cling, stays, won't fling, no mess, no clean up.... etc.

A great 150 miles ride today - but a huge mess to clean up!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Gaurd Crytal Clear Chain Lube. . .

The part on the can where it says, "Chain Guard sets to prevent Fling-OFF and avoid attraction of dust and dirt" - yah, that part. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

Granted it may very well give the chain some life as it goes on nice where you put it, but holly crap me, the bike, my boots, the wheel and even the damn brake caliper, exhaust, both stands, you name it it FLEW OFF AND STUCK TO EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

I don't ride in the rain and I pride myself in a clean bike, I have some work to do as the back end is covered. Both sides of the wheel and the damn tire too! I can't say much for how long it could or will last as I'm guessing I'll never apply it again. $10 bucks to lube my patio sliding door perhaps???

I just don't see how it could help the chain if its all over the bike so I give it 2 out of 5 stars! But in defense of the Manf, none of the bullets on the cans label include words like, "cling, stays, won't fling, no mess, no clean up.... etc.

A great 150 miles ride today - but a huge mess to clean up!

Did i mention its dripping off my oil filter tooooo! errrrrrrrrr!

Prolly go back to this:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/40711-silkolene-pro-chain-lube-5-a.html
Tag: Review

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not doubting your ability to lube a chain, but I'm just curious.. did you follow standard instructions?
- Thoroughly clean the chain and let it dry fully.
- Warm up the chain by taking a ~10 minute ride (I have yet to try hot air gun approach instead of riding, but I think it may do the trick!)
- Spray lube only to the inside of the chain and let fully set before riding.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel (or felt) your pain!

I have been buying the original Maxima Chain Wax for years. (black and gold can) Recently, my bike shop recommended their new synthetic stuff (grey can)

As the other stuff is so good, I thought I'd try it.

I followed my usual procedure of doing the chain after a ride home from work. (60kms/1hr, the last 20kms of which are at 70mph)

Sprayed it on when the chain was hot, left it for the next morning and rode to work.

This sh!t went EVERYWHERE!

Boots, back of my work pants, foot pegs, chain guard, wheel, tyre, EVERYWHERE! (I had to take my sprocket cover off and clean it, and the sprocket too....)

Fkn no fling my arse!

So, I went back to what I have always used (Maxima's other product)!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much did you use lol?

I like the teflon wax i get from lowes or walmart, works great

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I used it the same as their other non-fling stuff, that doesn't fling!

There is some stuff I want to try, it's called Teflon Chain Saver, or something, but I need to find a friendly American to send it over to me as I can't buy it online (have to come over by boat as it's a pressure pack)

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I've used Maxima Chain guard before with good results. You may have put too much on the chain. It only need a very light coat after it dries your chain appears to be a clean with no lube. The only way you can tell it's on the chain is it's a little sticky.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I use and until they stop making it all I will use:
chainwax.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The whole F'g can why? j/k! :D

I sprayed it for one complete rev and stopped. However, I also changed my cleaner using this product by Motorex, Chain Clean Degreaser. It worked great but took a good amount of wiping to get all the product off. Then I rode it to heat the chain. I wiped it again (repeatedly) and applied the lube and washed the bike.

The reason I mention the other product is that it didn't dry on its own. It left a film. So i dried it with a towel WAY LONGER than I ever have before. The point - maybe those solvents kept the lube from sticking?

PS it says nothing about heating the chain or letting it sit. In its defense, it is very smooth and seemed to get in and penetrate well. Lets see if looks ok at 500mile mark.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I use and until they stop making it all I will use:
chainwax.jpg

The "CHAIN GUARD" Does NOT proudly display, "Fling Resistant" like the one in the picture!
I'd guess the HD gang sent hate mail after spending weeks gettting the chrome clean! :BLAA:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Maxima chain wax and love it. Never once had an issue and there is little to no fling. I always thoroughly clean the chain first, then just spray the lube on the inside of the chain, and done.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used it the same as their other non-fling stuff, that doesn't fling!

There is some stuff I want to try, it's called Teflon Chain Saver, or something, but I need to find a friendly American to send it over to me as I can't buy it online (have to come over by boat as it's a pressure pack)

Cheers,
Rick

Lol ship over some vegemite or marmite and ill send you a can of teflon chain saver. it does work good, that is what i was referring to in my earlier post.

0003612119183_500X500.jpg

(I was just kidding about the veg/marmite. I have some in the fridge.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
X2, that's the bomb, been using that Du Pont Teflon Chain-Saver for almost a year (every since I bought the bike in May 2011). I spray it on when I get home from work, never had a problem with it making a mess and the chain and sprockets show almost no wear. A few weeks ago there was a post about noises coming from the front sprocket cover, so I decided to remove mine and have a look at all the cool gunk I thought would be there. There was almost none, and the sprockets looked great (see pic, taken as soon as I got the cover off). The bike has about 15,200 miles on it, I've owned it since 6600 miles and NEVER cleaned the chain or sprockets. I ride in all weather (unless is gonna be a down pour or something like that) and use the above mentioned lube every 500 miles or so.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the stuff I'm after - the importer apparently doesn't bring any in...

How much will it cost me for, say, a dozen cans?

Then we just have to work out shipping, and it could be done!

Would really appreciate someone looking into it and letting me know!

Cheers,
Rick

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i have used a lot of products namely

Belray - the best i found for fling resistance

rock oil chain wax - flings a lot (used it only twice)

mpm chain lube - again flings a lot (worse than rock oil)

wurth kettenspray - i found it good, its transparent and does not fling a lot

motul chain wax - not overly impressed flings quite a lot but at least its white so you see it on your rear wheel, makes it easier to clean

this time im switching to silkolene chain wax. i ll see how it does, if it doesnt do well im switching back to belray.

i d like to try the teflon chain saver too someday

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the DuPont Teflon stuff, too, along with the DuPont Degreaser.

The interesting thing is the Teflon stuff removes more dirt from the chain than the degreaser does. I don't heat up the chain for Teflon spray.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The "CHAIN GUARD" Does NOT proudly display, "Fling Resistant" like the one in the picture!

Here's a pic of the back of the can - please note where it says "Chain Guard sets to prevent "fling-off" and avoid attraction of dust and dirt. Ghain Guard resists heat up to 600°F and will not melt off under severe use"

I'd take that to say the manufacturer is claiming the product will not 'fling-off' and wont 'melt off under severe use' (under 600°F)

Your interpretation may vary, but that's why I bought it.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited: