leaning and sliding

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i seem to have a problem turning, once i am turning, leaning hard just before i start to scrape the knobs on the bottom of the pegs, my rear tire starts to slide, what a i doing wrong? do i have to slide off the seat ?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If your rear tire is sliding then it's the tire not you. How old are the tires? What type of tire? How's the tread? Squared off or fairly good? And the BIG one Are you allowing the tire to get up to temp before leaning into a corner or just going for it?

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
You have to move from the normal riding position. If you just flex your knee outwards I guess that you are leaning too much... I did have some problems when I first tried that as I was thinking that I was all the way off the seat when in reality I only moved a little. Best if you have a friend riding behind you so you have more info on your riding position. I'd suggest that you ride the twisties a bit to get the sides of the tires up to the right temp and then try again.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
You sure it's not all in your head? I find it hard to believe the rear tire is slipping before you even hit your peg scraper. 5 miles is plenty for a rear tire to warm up to operating conditions. You can lean off the bike if you want, but you shouldn't have to unless you are really pushing the bike and scraping pegs on every turn. Are you rolling on the throttle through the turns and not touching the brakes?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
How new are the tires? If they are brand new and this was your first time hitting the twisties with them, then that's your problem, the tires were not "scrubbed in" yet

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just how fast are you going?? I've hit turns 30 miles over yellow sign posted limit (that's not the actual limit.. that's technically for trucks) and I've not come close to scraping pegs. It's the body position.. if you're doing counter-weighing the bike will lean over far more than it needs to. :don'tknow: .. would need to see you take a turn.
As far as warming up tires goes.. it's about speeding up and slowing down.. that's what generates heat (not doing the imaginary cone weave.. fun as it may be).

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think they should be broke in by now, if your pushing it pretty hard and it's sliding out, maybe you are not getting the tires warmed up, remember what Eric said and also 5 miles riding will get the center warm but the center isn't what helps in the turns, work your way up to pushing it hard. In other words don't just go for it, take a couple miles where your not leaning quite as much before you really try to dig in and see if that helps

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hanging off the bike does not keep the tire from sliding per say, it allows you to increase your corner speed for the given lean angle, or less lean angle for the desired corner speed. You do need to make sure you are leaning with the bike, and not against it like when riding dirtbikes. The FZ6 should scrape peg feelers well before that Pirelli rear tire should start breaking loose. Check pressures, road conditions, and make sure you ease into how much lean you are giving it, don't just go balls out on the first turn. Are you sure its the tire breaking loose and not just a different feel from the tire as it reaches the flatter area at the edge of the tire?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thought comes to mind: what preload are you running?
I remember when I ran mine with not enough preload it felt very odd.. almost like it was sliding (though it wasn't).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
how about some foolish assumptions;
Lets say a rider is shorter and they lower the bike some. Lets also say they are heavier >220 w/out gear. This combination could get the pegs in sooner than most of us would otherwise. If true, this could be using the peg feeler as a pivot but you'd have it ground off pretty quick if true.

PS - i had to lower my rear brake lever as its too high and easy to over brake in the stock position. Any chance your taping the brake in the corner?

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
it happened again today after about 45 mins of twisty when i went a little fast through a corner, geared up i am about 300# and 6'4". because of my weight i have the tire a little higher, although i cant remember what it is, the preload on the rear is at the maximum. as for hitting the rear brake, i ride with the ball of my foot on the peg so i doubt it, but i will be more conscious

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be a combination of a few things, road surface, suspension, and some other things

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it happened again today after about 45 mins of twisty when i went a little fast through a corner, geared up i am about 300# and 6'4". because of my weight i have the tire a little higher, although i cant remember what it is, the preload on the rear is at the maximum. as for hitting the rear brake, i ride with the ball of my foot on the peg so i doubt it, but i will be more conscious

Bike can handle 400 pounds at 42 psi rear. For spirited riding @ 300#, I'd try 40 rear.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How fast are you going when this happens? And what corrections/inputs are being used once it occurs?