Help me find a memory..

H

HavBlue

Forty years ago (1968) this summer I went through a good deal of British Columbia and there are two places that really stand out but one I can't remember but I would know how to get there sort of. I remember the Hope slide and it was totally awesome as they had built the road right over the fallen material. It was like somebody took a shovel and carved out a piece of that mountain.

The place I can't remember is north of Vancouver and we followed the shoreline until it turned inland following the mouth of a river. We went back like an hour and eventually stopped at a place to eat that looked like a log cabin. From there I walked a trail through the forest to this huge gorge that had a magnificent water fall. To this day I remember the falls but I do not remember exactly where we were.

If any of you folks from that area know of this place can you help me shake up an old memory?

Thanks,
Charlie

jimbop

Reaction score
Visit site
You are talking about what is now called the Sea to Sky highway. It runs north along the Howe Sound to Squamish and then follows a river inland to Whistler, one of the biggest and best ski resorts in the world. If you keep going you will get to Pemberten and then you can head over the Duffy Lake road to Lilloet and loop down to Hope, where you will find yourself about 20 minutes from the Hope Slide that you described. Use Google maps you should be able to see all the towns that I have mentioned. It's all great riding country. You can do this ride in a day from Vancouver.

Cheers,
JP

H

HavBlue

You are talking about what is now called the Sea to Sky highway. It runs north along the Howe Sound to Squamish and then follows a river inland to Whistler, one of the biggest and best ski resorts in the world. If you keep going you will get to Pemberten and then you can head over the Duffy Lake road to Lilloet and loop down to Hope, where you will find yourself about 20 minutes from the Hope Slide that you described. Use Google maps you should be able to see all the towns that I have mentioned. It's all great riding country. You can do this ride in a day from Vancouver.

Cheers,
JP

Thanks...

You're right, it was absolutely breathtaking and that one day has stayed burned in that back of my head all these years.