FZ600 Voltage Regulator Question

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
First off I'd like to say GREAT IDEA to have a whole room dedicated to electrical stuff. Love it.

So down to brass tacks: My 1986 FZ600 has a dead voltage regulator. It has a 7 wire RR on it and I think I've accidentally purchased a 5 wire unit. (1999 R1 unit) They looked exactly alike... duh me. After I pried that melted connector apart i realized my mistake.

So the question is - can I make it fit? The stock unit for this bike is actually MORE expensive than the newer unit. If not I can just sell this puppy on craigslist and start over.

Thanks for reading!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off I'd like to say GREAT IDEA to have a whole room dedicated to electrical stuff. Love it.

So down to brass tacks: My 1986 FZ600 has a dead voltage regulator. It has a 7 wire RR on it and I think I've accidentally purchased a 5 wire unit. (1999 R1 unit) They looked exactly alike... duh me. After I pried that melted connector apart i realized my mistake.

So the question is - can I make it fit? The stock unit for this bike is actually MORE expensive than the newer unit. If not I can just sell this puppy on craigslist and start over.

Thanks for reading!

That's a tough one....We would need the pin out on both RR's... Anything else would be guessing. :rolleyes:

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ600 Voltage Regulator Question - 7 wire to 5

I have managed to find the wiring diagrams for both the 1986 Fz600 and the 1999/2000 R1 (regulator I purchased).
In going over these diagrams I may have found my problem: the R1 has a generator and the FZ has an alternator.

The question here is - do the green and brown wires need to be there? It looks like they are connected to a coil in the alternator (on the FZ) which is connected to the ignition and the light switch. Is this something that locks out the headlight on starting? Is this a provision for the auxiliary light? (#17)
When in the KEY ON position the Brown wire is connected to the RED (power) wire. Blue is also connected to what looks like L/R on the schematic but is probably Blue/Black (L/B) - assume it's giving power to the headlight and the tail light. Question is - does the third position shunt power OVER the Brown wire to the Blue/Black wire? (START?)

Obviously I'm no good with wiring. Please enlighten me o great ones!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: FZ600 Voltage Regulator Question - 7 wire to 5

I have managed to find the wiring diagrams for both the 1986 Fz600 and the 1999/2000 R1 (regulator I purchased).
In going over these diagrams I may have found my problem: the R1 has a generator and the FZ has an alternator.

The question here is - do the green and brown wires need to be there? It looks like they are connected to a coil in the alternator (on the FZ) which is connected to the ignition and the light switch. Is this something that locks out the headlight on starting? Is this a provision for the auxiliary light? (#17)
When in the KEY ON position the Brown wire is connected to the RED (power) wire. Blue is also connected to what looks like L/R on the schematic but is probably Blue/Black (L/B) - assume it's giving power to the headlight and the tail light. Question is - does the third position shunt power OVER the Brown wire to the Blue/Black wire? (START?)

Obviously I'm no good with wiring. Please enlighten me o great ones!

I'm betting both the FZ600 and R1 have the same type stator or close. The R1 shunt regulator should be okay but I would like to know what the extra winding with the 2 wires is on the FZ600 is. Can you get me a better resolution FZ600 diagram or PDF of that page?

Last edited:

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Moto.
That's the best image I could get.
Looks like that extra coil runs (Br) out to the R/Y wire on the fuse box that reads 20A Head, also ties into Signal and Ignition (both 10A) then arrives at the ignition switch as Br.
I'm working on a color version that highlights the affected circuit. Maybe at lunch?

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another JPG - best resolution I could find, and I've colored the traces that seem to be tied into this coil. Looks to be the entire lighting system.
If you have trouble seeing it, save to disk and then open with picture viewer - that has a magnification function on it. The forum image raster engine seems to really fuzz up this diagram. :/

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's hard to tell without the pin outs not being as specific as they could be. Can you look at the original plug for the regulator and tell me exactly what color wires goes to the plug pins.

It looks like the Key on applies B+ to the brown wire that feeds that extra winding in the stator assembly. Is that some type of regulator circuit. There are series type regulators on the market but I don't know if there were factory OEM series regulators. If there were then this might be what we're looking at.
So logic or design might be. Key on= yes, Stator energized/spinning=yes, then allow output from R/R to battery main. Internally the R/R would also monitor B+ and disconnect output from R/R at the designed voltage to stop overcharging. :D

I could be all wet on this one and in that case Bzzzzzzzzzt!:D

Get me the actual physical pinout at the R/R

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.... this isn't looking good. Maybe I should just find a 7 wire? Would there be any way to know if the wires do the same thing on say... the latest generation R1? They have 7 wires. And Mosfet regulators. (such as the shindengen FH012 instead of the SH-6 something I got...)
In which case I'd be looking up pinouts anyway... so I guess I should follow through either way. HAHAH!
I'll look up pinouts tonight.

snow_htr

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't find the pinouts moto. Not even sure how to look honestly - and I'm at work so the webwasher crap foils me at every turn. There's probably some sweaty guy in a server room right now starting to notice my obsession. I'm going to have to quit.

Yamaha part number is: 2XL-81960-A0-00
I think the manufacturer number is: 4H7-502 A3