Know any "Tourist Traps" between FL and WV?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
My good friend is flying down to Panama City FL April 16th to pick up a VStrom 1000 and then ride it back to WV. He has asked me to ask around here for information about good places to stop along the 2-3day return trip. Photo ops, mystery hole, biggest ball of twine...etc. Pretty much anything worth seeing along the way. I'm sure there will be LOADS of pics coming back that I can share as payment for your help :BLAA:.

Thanks in advance
Garrett

P.C. FL zip 32405
WV zip 25427

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If he is going during april there is a good chance you will never see him again, or at least he might disappear in a drunken, stumbling, mumbling, purple haze wake up a week later in a wheel barrel with no money, not knowing how he got there or even who he is. Don't ask me how I know.... Just tell him to avoid Front Beach Rd and the Cheateu like the plague.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Kinda like that song "don't drink the water in Mexico", huh? I always liked Stone Mountain. I's not far off 285, so depending on how he's going home it might be on the way. Stone Mountain is not a secret (although I have met people who live here that have never heard of it), but if he's interested in the Civil War at all it might be worth a short stop.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
"avoid Front Beach Rd and the Cheateu like the plague"
i'll pass that along chevy!!

"Stone Mountain is not a secret (although I have met people who live here that have never heard of it), but if he's interested in the Civil War at all it might be worth a short stop."
thats exactly the type of stop i think he'd enjoy. thanks a bunch GTP!

Keep em coming guys! 2 big red X's on front beach rd and the cheateu and a stop at stone mtn sound like just the beginning of a 900+mile ride!

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what part of WV you are going to, Skyline Drive in VA is a great scenic route along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Natural Bridge, Virginia comes to mind. Between the natural arch and I-81 you'll find a little zoo where you can pet a tiger cub, or visit the kitschy Foamhenge. Just north, a good place to rest is Lexington, a neat college town with some Civil War connections.

Natural Bridge - Natural Bridge Virginia

Natural Bridge Zoo Park Natural Bridge VA Zoo Natural Bridge Virginia Zoo

Foamhenge, Natural Bridge, Virginia

Just discovered the Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions site. Tons to explore there, especially if you are looking for off beat destinations. Nice route planner there, too.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rock Eagle?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Eagle_Effigy_Mound

It's not a fantastic sight (or site?) in and of itself, but the area around Madison, GA is pretty in the spring, though the roads are not too twisty.

Turner's Corner Cafe is a good place to stop for a bite of the area's food, (They usually have trout.) and meet other bikers if you're nearby and hungry. It's near some of the best roads in Georgia, too. Right near Blood Mountain.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/turners-corner-cafe-cleveland

Some people do covered bridges tours:

http://outdoorcanvas.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/bridges/

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Skyline Drive is kinda in our back yard mnuttall87 but thanks for the added input anyway, it is appreciated.

My company supplied the foam for "foamhenge"!!
Thanks for the info Oaks it will be passed along.

Georgia Guidestones looks right up his alley too chevy, thank you.

These spots sound good too mikw73 just the name Blood Mountain gets me curious LoL

Thanks again for helping out guys! With all this help from strangers he just might be convinced to join us even if he is a suzuki rider :D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Swing by Birmingham AL and visit Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. Lots of bikes, largest collection of Lotus race cars, the Ferrari Sir John Surtees won the Formula 1 championship with, MV Agusta (don't recall if it is the actual bike or a sister bike) that he won the 500cc motorcycle championship on. Yup the only one who has ever won a motorcycle championship and Formula 1 championship. From Birmingham you can go to Scottsboro and visit the unclaimed baggage store and buy the luggage you lost on the plane flight down. :) Go northeast towards Chattanooga, when near Nickajack Lake go to Powell's Crossroads and take the road over to Chattanooga. Upon arriving in Chattanooga take the "W" road up Signal Mountain, then back down. You are now ready to go look for the Tail of the Dragon, however before going there spend the night at the Choo Choo, eat dinner at the brew pub next door. Get up early then head for the Tail of the Dragon, about 2 hours away.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a whole lot of good stuff goin on there PhotoAl! It will be passed along with everyone else's contributions.

He cant back out of the trip now, he sold his SV650S today. That leaves a motorcycle sized empty spot in his garage LoL

Thanks again for helping out! And keep the suggestions coming!

Falconx84

Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm the Suzuki guy doing the fly/ride. Thanks for all the good suggestions, I got more (and better!) responses here than I got on ADVRider. I'm a bit surprised since ADVRider is a much bigger forum and geared towards touring. Phrank said you were a great group of guys and would would deliver.

I've added the Barber Motorcycle museum, Stone Mountain GA, the GA guidestones and Asheville NC to my trip.

For the time being, I'm going to pass on these:

-Skyline drive -- may as well be in my back yard
-Natural Bridge -- long day trip or overnight trip. Plus might be good to take the gf's daughter for a family trip
-Deals Gap -- I don't think the gf will be up for it after 600 or so miles, lol
-unclaimed baggage -- Neat idea, seriously considered it just "because" but its too far out of the way for the route I intend on going

I'll try an post a route map once I get it figured out

Thanks,
Dave

Falconx84

Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there really nothing to see between points "E" and "F"?
AKA bump :rolleyes:

actually... I was looking at time issues again... I may have to skip d & e. E was georgia guidestones. I doubt I'll have much time for it.

Asheville, NC is on a planned stop list as well, I just didnt make it a way point since the route was going through anyway.

between asheville and home I'm very familiar with stuff so not too bothered about touring that area. There was one stop I wanted to make in Abingdon VA (Barter Theatre) but I don't think I'll have time for a show.

Mainly just going to ride and see what I come across. I'm sure something will catch my eye, esp with my short attention sp.... ooo shiny helmet!!

New map

New New map
-- Cuts out some interstate between GA/Asheville NC

Last edited: