Bad signal relay?

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Need some help diagnosing a signal problem. I'm rewiring everything for dev_usc's headlight kit. Using LP aftermarket turn signals needing 12v power. Replaced the battery with a new Gel-type battery. My turn signals are not lighting up, front or back. The back wires are registering 1mV and the front are registering 0.6mV. I tested signals on another 12V battery and they work fine.

Any reason I'm getting such low readings? A bad signal relay? Maybe using the wrong ground?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Need some help diagnosing a signal problem. I'm rewiring everything for dev_usc's headlight kit. Using LP aftermarket turn signals needing 12v power. Replaced the battery with a new Gel-type battery. My turn signals are not lighting up, front or back. The back wires are registering 1mV and the front are registering 0.6mV. I tested signals on another 12V battery and they work fine.

Any reason I'm getting such low readings? A bad signal relay? Maybe using the wrong ground?

You say you tested the signals on another battery...., do you mean you directly connected them to the battery terminals to see if they work?

Have you replaced your flasher relay with a current independent one (the so-called "led flasher relay"). If not, this might cause your indicator lights to not light up when using your left/right indicator or hazzard lights.

Grtz,

Degake

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
You say you tested the signals on another battery...., do you mean you directly connected them to the battery terminals to see if they work?

Have you replaced your flasher relay with a current independent one (the so-called "led flasher relay"). If not, this might cause your indicator lights to not light up when using your left/right indicator or hazzard lights.

Grtz,

Degake

I directly connected the LP signal wires to a 12V battery via the terminals. I have not replaced my flasher relay. The signals light up. The relay is the same one from the factory when I bought in 11/2004 though it's a 2005 model.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definately replace your flasher relay with an electronic one...
My guess is that this causes your indicator lights not to work (as the load is too little).

[Thread=42693]Flasher relay - Great price!! [/thread]

Grtz,

Degake

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

LF1-S-FLAT $8.95 Or if you need it quickly Cycle. Gear store near you?

moto_FLAT.jpg

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, it's just the one 10A fuse right?

Just check all your fuses to be sure ;)
I've read on an old thread that someone had the taillight fuse burned out, but the light was still working.... But his indicators weren't :confused::eek:

Grtz,

Degake

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, this the relay you're recommending for a quick fix?
SPEEDMETAL LED Signal Relay - Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear

Yes. as long as it's a 2 wire it doesn't matter what make bike it is for except for the plug. Red wire goes to 12vdc signal and other wire is the output. So the 2 wires for the bike flasher are brown with a green tracer that goes to the new flasher red wire or input. Then there is the brown with white tracer that goes to the new flasher black or output wire. :D

You may find they only have a Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc. They only had a Yamaha when I needed a Suzuki but mine isn't plug N play anyway. If the plug won't fit just wire it up. :D

Last edited: