K&N cleaning

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
(not sure what my autocorrect on the phone was doing there but anyway...)
How, and how often, do you clean these K&N air filters?

Last edited:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Not as often as I probably should :D. However, the paperwork that comes with the K&N cleaning kit says that the filter filters better once it is a little dirty and not to clean it to often.

Anyway, I clean mine every 6000 to 8000 miles. I usually put 12K miles on my bikes each year. IF you don't run that many miles, I would say clean it at the beginning of riding season, the again some where midway through the season. With the mileage that I put on mine, that's about how my schedule usually works out.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get a cleaning kit form about any Autoparts store. Spray the cleaner and rub gently. Rinse opposite to air flow direction (no pressure wash) Let air dry...

Spray a bit of the air filter oil on the outside part of the air filter. Don't soak your filter with that oil, just a very light film is enough.

I also like to tap the filter on the ground upside down to remove the big chunk before cleaning. I do the same every now and then... even if I don't always clean it, I like to shake it up to remove some of the crap stuff between the plies.

Hope it help.