My heated grips no longer work, so...

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to, with your guidance, learn more about the wiring harness and various fuses on my FZ6. As I bought the bike second hand, he had already installed Oxford heated grips and an electrical plug for the heated vest. The bike has got a knob control for the electrical vest.

Well, here's my question. How do I go about fixing/learning about my FZ6's wiring system. Should I take it apart and put it back together, or could someone suggest and easier way to get to know my electrical system.

I want to change out the rear turn signals andfix the Oxford grips.

TIA. Any help much appreciated.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
There are fuses under side pods by the seat. But the aftermarket accessories should have a fuse at the battery

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Electrical is a little more than just learning a specific system. You can become very good at doing this stuff. We have some good schematics for tracking down problems and showing how some of the circuits work.

Do your grips run directly off the battery? Is the grip circuit fused with an inline fuse? Does it run off a power/ancillary relay?

One of the most useful and fast tools for diagnosing is a simple 12 VDC probe.

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the tank off yesterday for spring cleaning. Fuses were in good order, there was power where it should be. I'm guessing the Oxford box is bad as I get no resistance when I push down on the buttons. Took it out, rewired it properly and plugged in the GiPro.

After riding around with the GiPro, I guess it's good to have but not really necessary.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had the tank off yesterday for spring cleaning. Fuses were in good order, there was power where it should be. I'm guessing the Oxford box is bad as I get no resistance when I push down on the buttons. Took it out, rewired it properly and plugged in the GiPro.

After riding around with the GiPro, I guess it's good to have but not really necessary.
Yes the controller could be bad. You could jump past the controller for just a few second to see in the grips warm but no longer than enough time to see if the work. I think most controllers work on a time cycle for hi/lo or variable heat.
The controller will be a solid state device that uses a duty cycle that varies on on/off time current is sent through the grips so just don't bypass the controller as a fix and do test the grip to see that they are not kaput. :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes the controller could be bad. You could jump past the controller for just a few second to see in the grips warm but no longer than enough time to see if the work. I think most controllers work on a time cycle for hi/lo or variable heat.
The controller will be a solid state device that uses a duty cycle that varies on on/off time current is sent through the grips so just don't bypass the controller as a fix and do test the grip to see that they are not kaput. :D

I had a controller go bad on me, luckily it was replaced under guarantee.

I agree with Cliff just wire it up by bypassing (or removing) the controller and see if the grips work (maximum setting is 100% on the controller).