First oil Change

microage97

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi ya All,

Changed the oil in my 09 FZ6 for the first time at 250 miles. Holy Crap they put in some really thick stuff in there. They must have used the 20w-50 Yamalube and then mixed with the assembly grease made some pretty thick stuff. I went with Castrol 10w-40 MC oil and a Purolator pl14610 filter.

Wondering if I change it again at 500 if I should still use dyno oil or go for the Rotella t6?

Dave

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about these bikes but when I had my ninja 250 it would recommended to stick with Dino oil for a couple thousand miles, I switched to synth after about 2500 miles

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did my first oil change at 500 miles, I have 40k plus change now and I use a syntheic oil. I'm a Ams oil man. I have tried several different brands but always go back. For me it runs cooler and shifts better.

Doc

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Recommended you stick with Dino oil to let the rings seat correctly, up until 5000kms, then run a good quality synthetic.

I run Motul 7100 full synthetic, as I reckon semi-synthetic is barely better than dino oil. (like mixing Dom Perignon with water - whets the thirst ok, but you can't tell me it's as good as full strength!)

Motul 7100 is a bit pricier, but 'box shifts smooth so I can't complain.

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Recommended you stick with Dino oil to let the rings seat correctly, up until 5000kms, then run a good quality synthetic.

I run Motul 7100 full synthetic, as I reckon semi-synthetic is barely better than dino oil. (like mixing Dom Perignon with water - whets the thirst ok, but you can't tell me it's as good as full strength!)

Motul 7100 is a bit pricier, but 'box shifts smooth so I can't complain.

Cheers,
Rick

Read this and see if you still think that

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 I bough used so I had no input on that. Upon my ownership atjust over 4,000 miles it got Motul 5100 and a K&N filter

On my FJR, I did a semi Motoman break in (redlines at 9K, max I brough it up to was 8K RPM's). To date, the bike runs great, burns no oil, etc. I changed the oil and filter at 30 miles and again at 600, both times with dino. Alot of silvery break in crap came out at 30 miles. IMHO, it was worth the oil change just to get that metal out from circulation. I ran regular dino until approx 3,000 miles to make sure everything was broke in fully (it can't hurt). I eventually went to semi synthetic Motul (5100).

IMHO, I would run it longer on dino, then switch to your choice.

For the FZ6, it currently has approx 11,300 miles on it with semi synthetic, Motul 5100 in it. After some research, I purchased a case of Mobil one motorcycle specific,(4T) fully synthetic oil which will be changed at 12,000 miles. I'm curious to see any differences.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are spot-on. That first oil change is a bummer! Mine looked more like gray grease than motor oil. (I foolishly listened to their advice and ran mine for 600 miles. If I had known it was going to come out looking like it does when they pump it ouf of the ground/ocean floor, I would have changed it at 50 miles - seriously!
I know it was assembly grease, protective coatings on metal parts like rings, cylinders, pistons, bearings, bushings, cam lobes and crank throws, gears, synchronizers, chains, slipper pads, valves, shifting forks, seals, etc, etc, etc, but it still looked like death warmed over to me! I went straight to synthetic straightaway and never looked back! (Did the same on my Ninja) There's probably more metal in that first oil change than you will collect in the next two or three oil changes. (Just my opinion - feel free to make it your's! : )