Turn Signal Removal / Installation

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Coming up on riding season, I've been doing a few tiny mods to my bike so far. I saved what I thought would be the most complicated bit for last, and sure enough, I can't even get this started.

I purchased a fender eliminator kit that came with four LED turn signals. The seller stated the installation was so simple that it doesn't require instructions (everything plugs right back in to where the old equipment sat). I'm not enough of a dunce to believe it; too good to be true. I'll get to that bit eventually. However, I can't get past Step 1: Remove stock signals.

I tried to remove the rear fender and turn signals and snapped my alan key, so I'm going to go back tomorrow and drill into the screw (all this stuff is getting scrapped anyway) just for the sake of removing it, then replace the screw after. I'll deal with that later.

For now, what I need help with is the front.
For the front left turn signal, I removed the two screws that hold the metal arm that holds the stock turn signal in place just a few inches away from the forks and an inch or so below the fairing. I can't get past this. I can't get the thick rubber cover off of the 'stalk' of the stock signal. I can't see anything to unscrew, I can't see anywhere to disconnect the wires.

I've searched the forums and all I can find is problems with relays and such. I'm sure I'll get to that later, but for now, I can't even remove the stock. I've been trying for hours and my poor bike is now sitting with a limp left turn signal that I can't even put back together (I believe a screw inside the unit has been dislodged and I can't get it back without removing the rubber cover... which I have no idea how to get off).

I apologize if this has been covered, but I'm going crazy here and don't know what else to do! If you need pictures, let me know. I can show as many as necessary. Thank you very much! If there is an extremely detailed "how-to" somewhere, please link it here! Thanks,

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've spent a bit more time fiddling and finished all my mods minus the fender and lights. I looked at the parts manual and I guess im just too stupid to understand how to detatch the front turn signals. I found a "how to" that uses the parts manual and vague descriptions, so it didn't really advance my knowledge. It looks like it detatches somehow/somewhere at the base of the stalk but I can't really tell from the manual.

If anyone can provide some insight, I would appreciate it.

kilgore_trout

Reaction score
Visit site

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That wakes WAY more sense than what I was trying to do. I was totally and completely misinterpreting the manual there (I thought the plastic bushing had to be pushed the other direction).

Thank you so much gentlemen, you guys saved my day. Got everything sorted out and the new signals installed. Everything is pristine and looks like OEM (besides the new signal body itself).

Fantastic. Got all my mods installed and ready to go for the next sunny day. Just waiting for my new windshield.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Pictures to come!! :D:D

Edit: Pictures attached. Thanks again for your help!
signalafter.jpg

signalafter3.jpg

signalafter2.jpg

Last edited:

CIrrthum10

Reaction score
Visit site
What did you do as far as the 3 wire to 2 wire conversion. Or did you just leave the running lights off and skip that wire

FZSix

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike was tipped today and my right side turn signal broke and is wobbling inside the fairing. Did they build it for it to break like that or do I need new fairings... Or any suggestions just getting aftermarket LED signals. Thanks...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine broke years ago as well.

I removed the metal bracket after making sure the tab was properly in place.
Clean the area. Crazy glue the tab, if broke off for now (if necessary).

Now, with masking tape, build a "form" around the area / tab.

As you'll be using JB Weld (high tensile 5020) which likes to "run".
You need the tape to keep to form/dam up the area as it sets up.

Apply with a small screw driver / ice crème pop stick, (etc). Let it dry for 24 hours
and your good to go. It'll be stronger than stock...

.https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld-twin-tube

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 0