Dual headlight mod

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
anyone here do it this exact way?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmA_qJi3zg]Yamaha FZ6 Dual Headlight Mod HOW TO - YouTube[/ame]

also there is good advice in the youtube comments on how to run the wire better

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Cant see the youtube video but just buy a kit from one of the members here. Its easier and it comes with instructions and the correct ballasts or what ever they are called.

Mine is from motogiro but there are others here as well.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search for "Bd43 dual headlight" on this forum . I ordered the cable from when I first got my bike.

Excellent craftsmanship and easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
from what i gather from this video , you take a 1.female connector , you can buy it anywhere , 2.a piece of wire , put the 2 together , and plug the female connector into the bulb , then splice into green wire , this will take like 2 minutes to do and cost me probably nothing

edit: this is the same thing as bd43's except he runs the wire into the harness

why couldn't the smartass engineers at yamaha figure this out ? :p

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
from what i gather from this video , you take a 1.female connector , you can buy it anywhere , 2.a piece of wire , put the 2 together , and plug the female connector into the bulb , then splice into green wire , this will take like 2 minutes to do and cost me probably nothing

BUT, it will be running both bulbs through the one wire, that was only designed for one bulb.

edit: this is the same thing as bd43's except he runs the wire into the harness

why couldn't the smartass engineers at yamaha figure this out ? :p

As above, it's entirely different.

And the Yamaha engineers DID figure it out, but EU regulators had some whinge about the twin headlights, on low - so Yamaha had to redesign it.

It is MADE to have both illuminated on low, which is why everything is there to achieve this with the bd43 wire.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only major problem is tapping into that line will keep your RS low beam on ALL the time. When you turn on your high beam, BOTH ELEMENTS WILL BE ILLUMINATED, making extra heat and shortening the life of the bulb.

With the BD43 mod, it plugs into the factory harness and turns off the low beam when the high beam is activated....

As mentioned above, find the thread on the BD43 mod and hook your green wire into that feed with the correct connector..

If your going to do the mod this way, (IMHO, not recommended) you might as well just tap into the other green headlight wire with a posi-tap and not hack up your factory harness, it'd be much easier, shorter, neater install and your not running 1/4 as much wire..

Last edited:

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
The bd43 headlight mod is great, works as Yamaha should have designed it to work, and was easy to install. I think it took me less than an hour from start to finish, and that included hooking up a battery tender lead while I was in there as well.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod today Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod
I wanted to do the BD43 way but haven't gotten any response from him yet.
Is this an ok way to do it.

Well it looks like you attached the wire to the right side low beam. The biggest problem with this would be when you turn on your high beam. With both filaments burning, it will cause the bulb to fail prematurely, because of all of the heat. You should probably do it the DB43 way.

Scott describes it a few post up.

Last edited:

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Well this looks strangely similar to Vivii's Dual headlight mod! LOL I have had this for about 2k miles with no problems at all. It is completely non invasive and only takes about 5 mins to compete and adds so much more light!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod today Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod
I wanted to do the BD43 way but haven't gotten any response from him yet.
Is this an ok way to do it.

You basically did it the same way as the original poster, just shorter and easier. Both filiments will be burning when the high beam is on, on the RS. Besides the heat, extra load on the wire, your drawing another 60 WATTS in addition to the RS, low beam 55 watts (105 watts total on the RS only with the HB on)..

IMHO, I wouldn't want to tax my stator/regulator/battery anymore than needed..

Its my understanding that Yamaha designed the bike "one eyed" to save some electrical energy as the system doesn't have much for reserve, especially at lower RPM's.

With the BD43 mod, your turning off 55 watts (LB) and turning on 60 watts (HB) a difference of 5 watts... Your definitly drawing more from the battery/charging system making charging a little harder. Should you hook up electrical clothing, your getting pretty close to the limit of output vs useage... I guess Yamaha engineers figure you won't be using your HB that often...

I did the BD43 mod and added 100/110 PIAA sport bulbs (they draw 55 and 60 watts respectfully) and put out plenty of light... Both easy mod's, no extra electrical draw with excellent results...

Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i did not do this mod it was just a you tube find , i might do a dual h7 h4 low/high to both be on , if it burns out , bulb warranty ftw, i doubt any wiring should be messed up with stock wattage, its worth trying !
i was going to go HID for bike and car but halogen does it for me and its hassle free , hid is for ricers <<:spank:
GE nighthawk are the best bulbs, also the new Nighthawk platinums bring out a pure white light , i tried them all , worth the extra $$

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i did not do this mod it was just a you tube find , i might do a dual h7 h4 low/high to both be on , if it burns out , bulb warranty ftw, i doubt any wiring should be messed up with stock wattage, its worth trying !
i was going to go HID for bike and car but halogen does it for me and its hassle free , hid is for ricers <<:spank:
GE nighthawk are the best bulbs, also the new Nighthawk platinums bring out a pure white light , i tried them all , worth the extra $$

The larger issue is: With the halogen H4 you have 2 filaments. 1 filament is the low beam the 1 filament is the high beam. Both of these filaments reside in the same glass envelope. Normally the stock FZ6 non naked bike has The H4 lamp installed but does not use the low beam filament. When you hook up the low beam you need to provide a way to turn it off the low beam filament when the high beam filament is turned on to prevent overheating of the lamp and socket assembly... The glass envelope is designed for heat dissipation of 1 filament at a time. :D
h4-super-white-ca-re.jpg

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Gands quick job but in the UK it is an MOT failure to have both dipped bulbs illuminated- I was told that the reflector on the right hand side is designed for the headlight main bulb and could dazzle

Dont know about that but I incorporated a male and female bullet connector into the new cable so I could quickly disconnect when my bike comes up to three years old