Sticker removal- methods? solvents?

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the De-Solve It. Worked at Ace Hardware for four years, great product that is very friendly to most surfaces that goo gone and OOPS can disfigure. When I had someone worried about ruining a surface, I always felt safer recommending De-solve It instead of the other oil-based products

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
A heat gun has always worked well for me. Heat up the sticker and slowly peel it off with your fingers. Keep applying heat while you peel off the stickers. (A little hot on the pinkies, but works well). If you don't have a heat gun, after you've feathered out your mullet with your blow-dryer,use it (blow-dryer, not mullet) instead of a heat gun. Just Youtube -Sticker removal using a heat gun. All the best!

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WD-40 worked for everything but one of the swingarm stickers. I knocked it off with brake cleaner while I was prepping it for paint years later.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve done a lot of graphics on dirt bikes over the years and, as mentioned above, found a simple hair dryer works pretty good for removing graphics and stickers. When you remove a cold sticker/graphic they break up and the glue has a tendency to stay on the bike and then you have to resort to chemicals. The glue comes up with the sticker when it’s heated. Having said that, when I was prepping the swing arms for decals I got from a vendor on this site recently, the big factory sticker on the left was no match for the hair dryer. :(

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently removed my stickers on tank for a respray... wow, picking at them was beyond tedious, painful and downright nasty... halfway thru I asked my gal if we had anything... I believe it may have been De-solve-it, definitely was something citrus-y ... wow. Like chalk and cheese! Was fantastic. :thumbup:

Wish I'd had the intelligence to ask before starting... woops.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WD-40 worked for everything but one of the swingarm stickers. I knocked it off with brake cleaner while I was prepping it for paint years later.
+ 1 on WD 40, I used this to get rid of the residual goo after the hairdryer treatment.

Nelly

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken the only sticker that has to stay on is the one with the vin to the right side of the tank

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Use a hairdryer like others mention, peel the tyre pressure sticker off slowly, it has enough stickiness to re adhere to the plastics under the seat

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After three summers my tank sticker was baked on and no amount heat would help that. Think - Sun dried. . .

A straight edge razor at the "right angle" and it comes right off leaving little behind. The trick is the angle obviously so the cutting edge is just above the paints surface.

Once 98% is gone, mask off the area (rectangle) and use what ever solvent you think works best to get the stickies off. Follow by a light polishing compound and wax.

PS - In the sun I peeled my swing arm stickers off in one piece and placed them on the panel under the seat for reference. Yes, I used the straight edge razor for that too! :eek:

Last edited: