Looking for ideas - engine braking, need a brake light on to warn others

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In these parts people follow close on the freeways.
From this I see this; simply letting off the throttle at slower speeds 45mph less, engine braking slows me enough that people creep up waaaaaay to close so I tap my brakes for sake of lighting the light, not for actual brake action.

Anyone seen convenient bar mounted switch (or reliable & g-force) device that could easily trigger the brake light with to let others know I'm braking?

Yes, I know I can ride the brakes. That is not point. Also I could adjust one or both of them so any movement at all triggers the light but I'd preffer another option.

Think of this as information gathering. . . . If you're technical minded and have some ideas on how to bring this concept full circle - feel free to add something.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, most people around here don't follow too close - maybe that's an advantage of living in the tort capital! :) I will drag the rear brake just to light the brake light so am seen. Can never get complacent about watching the mirrors. A co-worker was rear ended 15 or 20 seconds after he changed lanes - the person who hit him went over the median into the oncoming lanes. 6 lane road at rush hour but no one was in the oncoming lanes - stopped at a traffic light!!!!!!

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be interested to see what else is out there as well. :popcorn:

When I noticed this, I elected to adjust the switches. I did front and back, but I really find the front lever useful (the back is just a pain to be easy on with rigid boots). I just bent the stop out so even the slightest tap lights the light, but does not activate the brake. I can use this to activate the light for the times I engine brake, but I especially like to use it to give 3 or so quick flashes before I actually begin normal braking. I guess I picked it up from riding my WR250X which had a hair trigger light; I used it all the time to alert other motorists. But when I switched :rof: to the FZ6, I had to adjust the lever, because the light comes on quite late in the stock form. I don't know if I would change now, but would like to see what ideas are out there.

Anyway, the brake off module looks interesting, but it seems to only work by having the brakes (and light) activated first?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking at deceleration we get a strong vacuum on our intake. So maybe a simple way would be a vacuum sensor where we set a specific threshold of vacuum and then there is a signal output to a trigger the brake lamp. It would be a higher than idle vacuum that would be present during engine braking. I bet there is an automotive and/or industrial vac sensor that would do the trick. You could do a cool flicker with LEDs. They sell auxiliary brake light now that flash a few cycle and then come on.

So vac trigger and fancy auxiliary brake lights? :D

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
In these parts people follow close on the freeways.
From this I see this; simply letting off the throttle at slower speeds 45mph less, engine braking slows me enough that people creep up waaaaaay to close so I tap my brakes for sake of lighting the light, not for actual brake action.

Anyone seen convenient bar mounted switch (or reliable & g-force) device that I could easily trigger the brake light with to let others know I'm braking?

Yes, I know I can ride the brakes. That is not point. Also I could adjust one or both of them so any movement at all triggers the light but I'd preffer another option.

Think of this as information gathering. . . .

Thanks!

Change lanes, or get out of their way somehow. The bent tab to turn on the brake light earlier is a good idea. Just keep in mind you're using a $3 light bulb to keep a 4000 lb machine driven by an inattentive jerk from running over you.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Change lanes, or get out of their way somehow. The bent tab to turn on the brake light earlier is a good idea. Just keep in mind you're using a $3 light bulb to keep a 4000 lb machine driven by an inattentive jerk from running over you.

That's all true but not always the best option. but thanks!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Pardon my crudeness, but do you actually think that someone who is already following too close is going to give a **** that your brake light is on?

If you know you're in a situation where someone might hit you, do what you can to get out of there. That's your responsibility...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Pardon my crudeness, but do you actually think that someone who is already following too close is going to give a **** that your brake light is on?

If you know you're in a situation where someone might hit you, do what you can to get out of there. That's your responsibility...

That has nothing to do with it, if you engine brake a lot as he does and I do as well a car that might not be anywhere close to you as you begin slowing will not think your braking and next thing you know they are on your ass...even with my crazy loud exhaust people still do it to me all the time

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Then stop engine braking....

I'm not trying to be a dick, but motorcycle vs. car is always a losing situation. If you are doing something that increases your risk of being in a collision then alter your behavior.

If using your service brakes is more likely to alert a driver than engine braking, well then, the answer is obvious....

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not going to change my riding style for anyone...being on a motorcycle is a risk in general, and I knew that risk to begin with. A lot of people on bikes engine brake, if you don't want too fine, ride your ride and I'll ride mine

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking at deceleration we get a strong vacuum on our intake. So maybe a simple way would be a vacuum sensor where we set a specific threshold of vacuum and then there is a signal output to a trigger the brake lamp. It would be a higher than idle vacuum that would be present during engine braking. I bet there is an automotive and/or industrial vac sensor that would do the trick. You could do a cool flicker with LEDs. They sell auxiliary brake light now that flash a few cycle and then come on.

So vac trigger and fancy auxiliary brake lights? :D

That's a good one there Cliff :thumbup: and its very practical!
I've never put a gauge to it but I'd expect 20" to 25+++" or more. I guess I need a quick test drive and see what it pulls while when downshifting. . . Unless someone knows already?? Anyone? bars, mmhg, inhg

As A Side Note:
Funny thing about tampering with "WHEN we actually brake" for example; when leading with my buds in pack i'd be misleading them about what I saw on the patch of road (they see my brakes on for :don'tknow: :disapprove::eyebrow::disapprove::eyebrow:.
Assuming we all know each other and our styles that is. . .

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not going to change my riding style for anyone...being on a motorcycle is a risk in general, and I knew that risk to begin with. A lot of people on bikes engine brake, if you don't want too fine, ride your ride and I'll ride mine

So, you're okay with the possibility of being injured or killed to prove a point - what, that you're a badass who isn't going to change his riding style...?

Stupid... Plain stupid...

Yes, riding a motorcycle is a risk. Walking down the street is a risk. It's all about how we mitigate those risks.

Adopting a riding style that for whatever reason makes it more likely for you to be injured makes no sense. It's irrelevant whether the riding style is technically or legally correct. The fact remains that riding in such a fashion increases the possibility of being hit by another car. In essence, you lose, car wins. Argue the point when you're dead...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Then stop engine braking....

Got it - on topic please. . .
"Anyone seen convenient bar mounted switch (or reliable & g-force) device that I could easily trigger the brake light to let others know I'm braking?"

Yes, I know I can ride the brakes, change lanes, leave the country => That is not point.

Last edited:

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with a vacuum operated device is that any time the throttle plate is closed or closes suddenly the switch will engage causing the brake light to come on.

This will cause more of a nuisance brake light than anything else.

My original point - your brain should be the brake light switch.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So, you're okay with the possibility of being injured or killed to prove a point - what, that you're a badass who isn't going to change his riding style...?

Stupid... Plain stupid...

Yes, riding a motorcycle is a risk. Walking down the street is a risk. It's all about how we mitigate those risks.

Adopting a riding style that for whatever reason makes it more likely for you to be injured makes no sense. It's irrelevant whether the riding style is technically or legally correct. The fact remains that riding in such a fashion increases the possibility of being hit by another car. In essence, you lose, car wins. Argue the point when you're dead...

Wow...the whole point of his question is to be safer...and you even said your self in your first post that if someone is riding your ass to begin with what can you do...

And to answer your first question, I am 100% ok with being killed or injured riding a bike, at least I'll go out with a smile on my face!!!

And I'm done...

Back on in topic, I like where motogiro was going with some sort of vacuum system

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
What about a switch like they use on the uk bikes for passing, but use it for the brakes

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the original idea here is that engine braking can rapidly slow a bike and wouldn't it be cool if you could signify that to the driver behind you. When you brake with the hydraulic brakes you signify to the driver behind you that you've applied the brakes. It's a light that's required by law for the reason that it's a brake light to signal the driver/rider behind you.
People and the law agree that a headlamp modulator can make you more visible.
I doesn't mean that everyone will see you but it ups the percentage of you being noticed.
Regardless of how the driver behind you behaves, I think the idea is pretty outstanding. We as riders are more vulnerable and I agree if you're in a situation, you have to try to ride out of it one way or the other.
In this case I don't see this as the rider is being a butt who needs to change his riding. It's about a safety concept made even better!

Cagers generally do not understand how fast a bike accelerates or decelerates and that has nothing to do with how you ride. The brake light is an indicator to most that the vehicle is slowing/stopping.

Sure we live without the extra braking indication but does living without traction control or ABS mean we shouldn't think it's a great technology?
You may never need those technologies and you may not exploit the bike in that realm just to test them but when you need them they can save you rhide.
ABS in cars saves life and limb everyday but you don't hear about it because the incident doesn't make the news. Doesn't mean it a bad idea or it doesn't work. It is a good idea and it does work.

I really like Randy's (OP) idea and I'll be working on a solution to make it happen. :p

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with a vacuum operated device is that any time the throttle plate is closed or closes suddenly the switch will engage causing the brake light to come on.

This will cause more of a nuisance brake light than anything else.

My original point - your brain should be the brake light switch.

People nuisance tap on the brake everyday and there's no control or issue with that. In fact you can control the off time with a logic control or simple R/C constant circuit that would create less of the quick off time you're talking about which is a very valuable thought on this.
Thanks!