Disconnecting the headlight harness

Function

Reaction score
Visit site
While in the process of pulling off the fairing stay (stupid low speed laydown bent it up), obviously I had to take off the front fairing and the headlight. My headlight is currently sitting on a shelf right next to the bike, because I couldn't get the wiring harness off.

Is there a trick to getting the harness disconnected? I tried for an hour or so to get those little tabs in and pull it apart, but was very afraid of ripping it apart.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you're talking about the the off white connector that exits the frame on the left side. I have have the exact same problem with getting that connector apart. Most any of the connectors use a push or pull type tab to allow the connector to slide apart. I've had them almost seized together so be patient and study the latching tab to make sure how it releases and as you have the tab pushed in/out steadily wiggle while pulling the two parts apart.

Sorry for your mishap and hope you okay!

monb

Reaction score
Visit site
I did one of those "stupid low speed lay down..." and did substantial enough damage to the fairing but nothing that cannot be fixed by some good old fashion plastic glue. Oddly enough, I didn't feel as bad as I've been wanting to go naked. Anyway I thought I'd be slick and just put a regular single round headlight, with the high and low beam filament inside and three prong outside. I figured I can just tap into the left low and right high beam positives with a common ground, under the assumption that only the left low and right high beam filament are powered to switch. To avoid complication and confusion, I made sure to do nothing but pull connectors apart to remove the fairing. With the bike on, my multimeter showed no voltage on either light connectors, as I put her back together. However, she started right up and everything else worked, blinkers, speedo even the horn. At this point I wouldn't mind buying the VS-2 as it looked awesome on the bike. But now I'm worried that it might not work because of this issue. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wiggling always works! Whenever in doubt......:rolleyes:

Dang Cliff, I wish I would have seen this on Saturday! I spent a looooog time jiggling and wiggling to get those dang harnesses off. I walked away a couple of times to chill out I was so frustrated. My needle nose pliers finally did the trick. What a pain!

Any idea for a lube or grease to make them easier to come out IF I have pull the them apart in the future?

Thanks, John

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang Cliff, I wish I would have seen this on Saturday! I spent a looooog time jiggling and wiggling to get those dang harnesses off. I walked away a couple of times to chill out I was so frustrated. My needle nose pliers finally did the trick. What a pain!

Any idea for a lube or grease to make them easier to come out IF I have pull the them apart in the future?

Thanks, John

John,
You might give it a spritz of silicone lubricant? :D