what oil is best for my electrical system

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the electrical oil that you need to worry about its those dang carburetor belts that keep slipping and trashing the muffler bearings, but the kicker is that it was all caused by the blinker fluid being low!!!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
That wasn't as bad as when my horn fluid ran out and made the belt on my clutch slip. Man, the next thing you know, my push rods wouldn't push my bike anymore.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, just kidding, I had to do it. I think an electrical section is a great idea.

It's not the electrical oil that you need to worry about its those dang carburetor belts that keep slipping and trashing the muffler bearings, but the kicker is that it was all caused by the blinker fluid being low!!!

Well I just rotated the air in my tires so it must be lectric. Help me Mr Giro

That wasn't as bad as when my horn fluid ran out and made the belt on my clutch slip. Man, the next thing you know, my push rods wouldn't push my bike anymore.

OMG! Have I got problems! LOL!
All of those maladies are a result of leaking EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) oil leaking form your feather valves! :eek:

Thanks for the love Peoples! :BLAA:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hilarious! I was looking for some info and instead of starting new thread I'll just post here hopping I can get some help. I'm in the process of installing some aux. light on my 6R for an upcoming trip from Florida to Laconia, NH. I wanted to use the mysterious missing button on the LH side (not used on the 6R)

Two question. Is this a on/off type switch? And anyone has a PN available? I was hoping to find one on Zbay but I've been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Hilarious! I was looking for some info and instead of starting new thread I'll just post here hopping I can get some help. I'm in the process of installing some aux. light on my 6R for an upcoming trip from Florida to Laconia, NH. I wanted to use the mysterious missing button on the LH side (not used on the 6R)

Two question. Is this a on/off type switch? And anyone has a PN available? I was hoping to find one on Zbay but I've been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

What missing button?? :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks.

LMAO! I was wondering what was going on with this thread. Was just thinking about you the other day when someone was asking about an alternative exhaust for the bottom area of an FZ6.

Chances are the left hand mystery switch could be a momentary passing switch that operated the hi beam as a flash light to motorist ahead of you. Used in Europe and other countries. My Zooki has it as I guess they include it on US models

I bet you can get a good water proof switch and find a home for it in your plastics. What type of aux lights and power to run them?

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
What missing button?? :eek:

Just by the headlight switch there's another push button type that work the rear signals or something like that. On the 6R the button is there but all the way in (like it's stuck) But nothing hook up to it, no switch. I remember going back to the dealer when I first bought the bike asking what happen there and he told me that the 6R are using the same control then the FZ6 but not using the button.

I got some little cheap 55W fog light form the auto part just to give it a try before I spend 200-300 of the real stuff. I want to make sure I like it before. If I can't find the switch that I'm talking about I put one under the cluster...

Thanks!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO! I was wondering what was going on with this thread. Was just thinking about you the other day when someone was asking about an alternative exhaust for the bottom area of an FZ6.

Chances are the left hand mystery switch could be a momentary passing switch that operated the hi beam as a flash light to motorist ahead of you. Used in Europe and other countries. My Zooki has it as I guess they include it on US models

I bet you can get a good water proof switch and find a home for it in your plastics. What type of aux lights and power to run them?

Is this really just a passing/headlight switch? Power might be an issue... since I change the running light & turn signals for LED I might even out? I might use the aux. lights just if it get really dark... not sure I even need it. One of those thing... running out of mod to do and I'm bored! LOL :BLAA:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this really just a passing/headlight switch? Power might be an issue... since I change the running light & turn signals for LED I might even out? I might use the aux. lights just if it get really dark... not sure I even need it. One of those thing... running out of mod to do and I'm bored! LOL :BLAA:

Yes, it would be the passing switch.
I think it might be best for you to just mount a handlebar switch, and run it through a relay to power your aux. lights.

Why don't you just get some LED aux. lights? (or HID, if you really want/need the extra light? :D)

Grtz,

Degake

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it would be the passing switch.
I think it might be best for you to just mount a handlebar switch, and run it through a relay to power your aux. lights.

Why don't you just get some LED aux. lights? (or HID, if you really want/need the extra light? :D)

Grtz,

Degake

Thanks! That's what I'll do.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible to get the Yamaha parts for a UK/Euro bike that the passing button built-in? Or is that not cost-effective? Or would it require a harness change? Somebody's gotta part out a European FZ once in a while. Perhaps I should try to find a European FZ6 parts fiche?

I have a thread-appropriate problem with my bike: I think it's overfilled with turn signal fluid. I always seem to have one running when I don't mean to. And I think most cars are very low on it. Perhaps the NTSB should mandate a larger turn signal fluid reservoir for four wheel and up vehicles?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...... I think it's overfilled with turn signal fluid. I always seem to have one running when I don't mean to. . . .

I've thought about this too;
Keep it simple, you could set a timer active when the OEM turn switch is activated. At the end of the time limit (not sure how long is too long) blare an annoying light to make the rider away the blinkie is still active.

I don't think it wise to just cancel the blinker but if still on in 10minutes, Hell ya, Turn it off!
The question is how?
A) to use a mechanical solenoid to trip it off
B) electronically disconnect it UNTIL the turn signal switch is activated again. Either could work.

Time for a new thread. . .

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought about this too;
Keep it simple, you could set a timer active when the OEM turn switch is activated. At the end of the time limit (not sure how long is too long) blare an annoying light to make the rider away the blinkie is still active.

I don't think it wise to just cancel the blinker but if still on in 10minutes, Hell ya, Turn it off!
The question is how?
A) to use a mechanical solenoid to trip it off
B) electronically disconnect it UNTIL the turn signal switch is activated again. Either could work.

Time for a new thread. . .

Yamaha was the first company to have auto cancel on turn signals. I think my XS400 had auto canceling...

They used input from when the bike started moving and it IIRC it would cancel in about 1/8 mile if you didn't cancel it. It probably used some thing like an RC circuit to charge and fire a cancel circuit until the reset.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
back to the question in the OP, i think olive oil is best for the FZ6 electrical system, its what i use. now, back to you regularly scheduled convo.

No no no no! You use the olive oil in the Ducatis! Use peanut or sesame oil in the FZ6 :p

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha was the first company to have auto cancel on turn signals. I think my XS400 had auto canceling...

They used input from when the bike started moving and it IIRC it would cancel in about 1/8 mile if you didn't cancel it. It probably used some thing like an RC circuit to charge and fire a cancel circuit until the reset.

That'd be easy on the Fizzer as the output from the drive is already there.

I've never looked at how the Fiz does the signal switch and canceling it etc. I'd speculate that its purely mechanical but maybe its an electronic latch (to flash) and center it and push and it resets the latch??? Cliff do you know?
If electronically latched, this is pretty simple. . .